US Army "Great Coat" Button - 1820s

BigfootOkie

I had a good hunt with Dave and Dave :) Saturday and we all made some cool relic finds.
A new first for me was this US Army "Great Coat" Button from the 1820's. The front is an eagle flying above the letters "U.S" which is above a wreath. The backmark says UNITED STATES.

I recovered another flat button, a small Eagle Cuff Button, two dropped bullets, a buckle, and some "unknown" brass items that may be some type of lids for something.

Thanks for lookin!

This is our Tailgate Shot with my finds on the right.

Nice finds. Love that button. You've got a Ringtail Sharps carbine bullet, and what looks like a teardrop colt pistol bullet. Now I could be wrong, but the brass piece on the right looks like the "bell" or top part of a epaulette/ shoulder scale.
Here's one from my album that I found last year.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/picture.php?albumid=2745&pictureid=40573

Happy Hunting!

Wow! That's a pretty cool deal and I think you may be right since my two buddies found 5 of the scales within 40 feet of where I recovered my piece. Check out the tailgate shot in my original post above.
Thanks!!!

Nice finds. Love that button. You've got a Ringtail Sharps carbine bullet, and what looks like a teardrop colt pistol bullet. Now I could be wrong, but the brass piece on the right looks like the "bell" or top part of a epaulette/ shoulder scale.
Here's one from my album that I found last year.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/picture.php?albumid=2745&pictureid=40573

Happy Hunting!

Took the words out of my mouth. Everyone's pile has shoulder scale pieces in it!

Underneath the bullets is another piece

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 626
Very nice early button. I found this one at a military camp. Congrats.

Attachments

• Great Coat Button.jpg
    Great Coat Button.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 533
Back
Top Bottom