Deus settings

bibelot

Forum Supporter
An odd duck this deus is.Can jump the reactivity to say at 0 and silencer at -1 and hit deep coins with 12 kHz,I use a audio response of 5.In saying that, it will miss shallow coins in trashy spots unless I crank the reactivity up.The silencer,I leave at -1 or 0 but maybe I need to learn more about correct settings. Yesterday for whatever reason, I was hitting deep nickels. Some old toasted nickels but I never dug a nickel deeper than the Mi6 pointer before until yesterday. Maybe improper ground balance ? DSC03252.JPG

Got out for a bit this morning. I ran the hot program to -4 disc setting, turned the sensitivity up to 95, audio response to 4.Ground balanced at 78,I did not lower it, I left it. I found a pistol bullet that looked like it was stuck by another bullet ? A round divot in the nose of it. DSC03258.JPG

DSC03260.JPG

The junk that I dug, some were multiple targets with coins in holes but the majority was to see what they were or to pull them since they sounded near surface.. I ran into a situation where my deus started cycling in chatter. At first it didn't register until a chocolate lab came running at me and then suddenly put on its brakes. I then seen the little flags along the lawn border,chalked that up as invisible fence interference.DSC03268.JPG

heres my 2 cents I never lower my reactivity below 2 why? first off it seperates very well and it doesnt affect depth that much . Would I gain a 1/2 inch with a reactivity of 1 or 0 maybe so but when you can still hit 12 inch coins (in my soil) with a reactivity of 2 and then hit trash and still pull the goodies out of it well its a win win. Plus you dont have to be as careful with a reativity of 2 on your swing speed. IMO the reactivity of 2 is the best all around on the machine ,I do move up to 3 and 4 sometimes in a bed of nails but 2 is my go to. Once you get some time in with the deus it will not be such a strange bird.

Yes, I'm getting some time on it every chance I get. This makes the third silver dime today.DSC03273.JPG

DSC03275.JPG

heres my 2 cents I never lower my reactivity below 2 why? first off it seperates very well and it doesnt affect depth that much . Would I gain a 1/2 inch with a reactivity of 1 or 0 maybe so but when you can still hit 12 inch coins (in my soil) with a reactivity of 2 and then hit trash and still pull the goodies out of it well its a win win. Plus you dont have to be as careful with a reativity of 2 on your swing speed. IMO the reactivity of 2 is the best all around on the machine ,I do move up to 3 and 4 sometimes in a bed of nails but 2 is my go to. Once you get some time in with the deus it will not be such a strange bird.

I was hunting the flooded flat where depth is everything. original dirt starts 8" deep or better because the flood waters put a layer of silt over the pre-existing ground. I thought I was the only one with that problem but when I went to metal detect with Choppa, Choppa's area was worse than my area for flooded silt over the pre existing ground, the 1972 flood hit Corning hard. It was choppadude & the park crew that taught me that they aren't out of reach if your willing to hunt for them. Seeing choppa pull a walking liberty that day gave me all of the inspiration that I needed to try.
I am with you though, other than the flooded flat,I run reactivity on either 2.5 or 3 but 4 is not out of the question if the trash is heavy. I got to thinking about my original post. That trashy spot I was griping about, I had already sifted it prior with the low reactivity setting so it tells me I did well for hitting sparse open spots the first time around.

heres a trick to tery in that flooded are if you can stand the sparky ness of it. lower ground balance 2 to 4 points below actual number and see what happens it increases depth.

heres a trick to tery in that flooded are if you can stand the sparky ness of it. lower ground balance 2 to 4 points below actual number and see what happens it increases depth.

Thank you for responding. I've already been lowering it, sometimes 5 numbers lower than actual ground balance like in my first post of the thread. I was thinking the improper ground balance caused the deeper nickels to be found. but then again, nickels are always near the surface or more so than most other coins. I think it was Heath Jones that lowers his GB 5 numbers in a relic program but I might be wrong. I've been reading so much, trying to sift through and find what will work for me out of it. I think it helps in my mild soil to lower the GB,-5 is a bit much but it may have some merit like you've said, if you don't mind a chatty machine ,which I don't. Using your disc setting of 1 helps calm the chatter down, I've gone as high as 8 on disc but would rather hear the iron so I use disc setting of 1 a lot with or without the negative ground balancing.
I was onto the negative ground balance before I had a machine that had ground balancing capability. My Tesoros, especially the Deleon would not hit quarters if the sensitivity was cranked up to a setting of 8 or higher but when you turned the sensitivity down, quarters would appear. I could make it better by adjusting the threshold every time I adjusted the sensitivity but then I realized, it was a fixed ground balance issue. At that point I went to a manual ground balance system and never looked back.I found a ton of stuff with the Tesoros but I had a ton of time on them. People get caught up in where the target comes in on the disc.It is where they fall out and reappear back into the disc at the highest detectable setting that gives you the most valuable information or feedback.Sorry for the long post I might be late for work. Lmao

It is heath hes the one who told me how to do when I was learning my deus. I don't hunt that way cant stand the noise and it does false sometimes on nothing when setup like that. I have tested it on deep coins and it makes silver and copper hit harder at depth. It will bust a coin at 12 inchs in my soil doing that and beyond with the 9 inch coil.

It is heath hes the one who told me how to do when I was learning my deus. I don't hunt that way cant stand the noise and it does false sometimes on nothing when setup like that. I have tested it on deep coins and it makes silver and copper hit harder at depth. It will bust a coin at 12 inchs in my soil doing that and beyond with the 9 inch coil.

I like the noise but I started on the GMP program which is super quiet. Once I felt comfortable I jumped to the sifter and liked that pretty well. I am at odds with the audio response. I like to hear the targets at audio response 3 but afraid I'll miss a deep target so I run up at 5 or 6 and use the horse shoe to determine depth. I think I am over thinking things and am going back to audio response at 3.This machine is so versatile ,I don't think I'll ever tire of it.

I was hunting the flooded flat where depth is everything. original dirt starts 8" deep or better because the flood waters put a layer of silt over the pre-existing ground. I thought I was the only one with that problem but when I went to metal detect with Choppa, Choppa's area was worse than my area for flooded silt over the pre existing ground, the 1972 flood hit Corning hard. It was choppadude & the park crew that taught me that they aren't out of reach if your willing to hunt for them. Seeing choppa pull a walking liberty that day gave me all of the inspiration that I needed to try.
I am with you though, other than the flooded flat,I run reactivity on either 2.5 or 3 but 4 is not out of the question if the trash is heavy. I got to thinking about my original post. That trashy spot I was griping about, I had already sifted it prior with the low reactivity setting so it tells me I did well for hitting sparse open spots the first time around.

Yep, that is a tough spot but there are goodies left. Went there for a couple hours this morning and managed one V nickel, 3 Buffs and a half dozen wheats.
You are getting a good grasp on the Deus and I think that is because you are out there swinging and putting in the time. Absolutely no replacement for experience.
We will have to get together again soon. After my race this weekend I will have much more time to detect.

Yep, that is a tough spot but there are goodies left. Went there for a couple hours this morning and managed one V nickel, 3 Buffs and a half dozen wheats.
You are getting a good grasp on the Deus and I think that is because you are out there swinging and putting in the time. Absolutely no replacement for experience.
We will have to get together again soon. After my race this weekend I will have much more time to detect.
That would be great.

Last edited:
-4 disc, sensitivity 93, tx power 2,11.6 kHz,full tones,iron audio 1,reactivity 4, silencer 0, audio response 3, a 1945, 1950,1952,1955 wheat pennies plus the 2 silvers.Was better than the day at work if only for a few hours of metal detecting.DSC03281.JPG

DSC03284.JPG

What is interesting is all 5 of those silvers came within being 6 ft or less of each other. I'm going to run the CTX with 6" coil through it tonight and throw in the T2 sharp shooter coil as well but it is ungodly infested with iron, aluminum and small engine pieces. I removed two big pieces located inches from the quarter after I dug the quarter. I almost didn't dig it thinking it was just spiking off the noise blaring big shallow iron pieces but it gave a high squeak so I investigated it and am glad I did. These 5 silvers were less than 4" in the dirt.

Am going to take the 9" deus coil through it first.I only used the 11" coil, maybe take CTX through it afterwards.They are calling for severe storms tomorrow so I'll get out early.

I dug a 1946 wheat with the Deus /9" coil. Then I ran the CTX/6" coil through it, dug three nails. I'm thinking that the 11" coiled deus did very well.I found a token with the deus today and a handful of clad.Am thinking the token is older but maybe not.DSC03294.jpg

I've been working harder than normal, trying to find a bell. An old sheep farm, house was torn down in 1966. The sheep barns are gone but the shearing station is still standing. Corn and soybeans are in the fields around but I am running rows looking for a bell with no luck. There were no children of the corn or they decided it would be too difficult to get my fat carcass on a scare crow post. Most of the junk from the fields, coins from the usual lot, can never get it picked clean. You can see the two shiny dimes and a quarter were on the surface in the grass. Love how the deus will alert you when you run across those finds.DSC03299.jpg

Still hunting for a sheep bell. I found a 1946 nickel out in the corn field, can't wait until they chop it and plow so I can really hunt it. An old axe head and bullets out there as well. I told you there might be something to the children of the corn theme....:laughing:DSC03306.jpg

DSC03307.jpg

DSC03309.jpg

I want to thank every one that has put in the time to share their settings on the Deus. It's new to me so keeping notes and waiting for the weather to give me another chance at trying them out.

Back
Top Bottom