30 years and tapping out..

Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your service. I retired 3 years ago after 47 years in the construction industry. Believe me, that empty feeling goes away real quick.

Wow, thank you everyone for the kind replies. I truly appreciate it, you guys are great.. happy hunting to all...

I know exactly how your feeling....

Well today was my last day at the fire department, I did 30 years. It's harder than I had though to let go. It was a life style and now it's gone. Kind of a weird feeling right now but I know I'll get over it soon. It really hit me when I was dumping my locker out all the little thing I collected the books paper work etc. So I guess there just one thing to do, and that's start swinging more. I can't wait to get back in the groove...

First congratulations on your retirement! I retired as operations chief of the Madison Wisconsin fire dept on January 23rd 1993 also with 30 years of service. I was 50 years old. Retirement is surely different than firefighting but it was time to retire. In 1994 with the help from my sons we built a dream house for my great wife and I on a 20 acre lot in the country. When that was finished I was looking for something to do for a new hobby and metal detecting hit me so I ordered a Whites XLT and the rest is history. For example I have made so many trips to Virginia to hunt civil war relics and that has run up mileage equal to more distance than driving around the world! Once again congratulations and may you have a great many years if retirement.

Good Hunting
ArtWI

Thanks for helping keep us safe for all those years. I got 19 months left in my police job. Enjoy your time brother!

its pretty sad when leaving after that long when i left the aerospace company i worked at for 26 years i left with no big goodbye or anything and for some reason i forgot to change my alarm clock and i forgot and got up the next morning and actually went to work like normal and didnt realize untill i got about half way there , its a big change best of luck on your transition...

Dirt - congrats on the 30 years. 1 Nov 2016 will be 30 for me in the Air Force and that is my goal right now. 30 years in a job is a great accomplishment and being a fireman is dedicated to saving lives to your community!!!!

Well today was my last day at the fire department, I did 30 years. It's harder than I had though to let go. It was a life style and now it's gone. Kind of a weird feeling right now but I know I'll get over it soon. It really hit me when I was dumping my locker out all the little thing I collected the books paper work etc. So I guess there just one thing to do, and that's start swinging more. I can't wait to get back in the groove...

i am just four years from the same thing,,,,,, you never really quit the Fireservice ,,,, you just let the newbies finally get a chance to do stuff,,,,, let them have the nozzle now Good Luck !!!!!

Thank you so much guys, reading these post makes it a lot easier. Congratulations to all of you who have ether retired or fixing to. I will focus on mding more.. Thank's again.

From a fellow firefighter in Boston, congratulations and best of luck in your retirement. I hope you enjoyed your time on the job, and now have a safe and healthy retirement and get lots of time in for swinging and enjoying time for yourself and your family!

Good luck!

That is awsome man and congrats. I still have about 23 more years till I can get out and be retired, but hey who is counting.

I do the same work myself, and it is hard job that takes a toll on not only your physical body but you mental body as well.

GL and HH.

I felt the same way,like I lost my identity when I left law enforcement. It will pass.

You done your time ...let the yonng bucks handle it now..

Congratulations Dirtfishin. I've got 25 years in, 8 to go. Can't wait to join the retiree list. And thank you for protecting us!

Welcome to you

Thank you for your long service. Enjoy your retirement, it will take awhile to get used to your new life. Good luck detecting.

Hey Dirtfishin, best of luck in your retirement. I too am a career Firefighter in Rochester, NY and today is my 8th anniversary "On The Job". I got in late, my appointment to the academy came just after my 40th birthday. I spent 22 years as a 5th generation Volley prior to going career so I guess I've kind of got 30 on, but career is so much different from being a Volley. I can not imagine the feelings I'm going to have when it's my time to take my goods off the load for the last time. Our careers as firefighters become such a definition of what we are. Know you will always be a firefighter! Congratulations my Brother!

First responders, a rewarding grind. Thanks for your time served and congrats on your retirement. You have earned your free time, now enjoy it. And, post your goodies you find here

Back
Top Bottom