Bucket list item checked off - UPDATED!! Found the loaded clip!!

I wasn't trying to stir the pot. If I found a gun, buried, anywhere, and it still had a legible serial number, I'm turning it over to the local authorities to figure out how it got there. If 60-90 days later they give me the nod that it's ok to keep, so be it.

I was just trying to say that thing has a story to tell, and other than finding it, I wouldn't want to be part of it.

I wasn't trying to stir the pot. If I found a gun, buried, anywhere, and it still had a legible serial number, I'm turning it over to the local authorities to figure out how it got there. If 60-90 days later they give me the nod that it's ok to keep, so be it.

I was just trying to say that thing has a story to tell, and other than finding it, I wouldn't want to be part of it.
I didn't think you were stirring the pot. ALL your points are very valid. There's a reason that sawed off gun was thrown away and I agree with you 100% as far as taking it to police.

My wife used to have that same pistol when we met. (until I refined her tastes and she upgraded)

That's a cheap plinker! crazy that your buddy found the loaded mag to it!

The gun I have at home that is mine is a 357 Magnum. :)

Just because it's not reported stolen doesn't mean it isn't. The owner may not know it's gone, or was too embarrassed to report it because he/she didn't have the serial number handy. It needs to be in the hands of law enforcement so they can do the legwork to figure out why it was buried in the sand...obviously the barrel was hacked off for a reason. I'm not familiar with Florida laws, but most states track and register firearms in a state database for accountability.

Agreed. As the post said it will be turned in. I don't want anything to do with it other than to photograph it and turn it in. The thing has bad vibes all over it.

I worked retail sporting goods for nearly 15 years California may register and keep track of fire arms but most states do not. Even the Federal Government does not register and track firearms

If a firearm is used in a crime and is recovered by law enforcement they check with the manufacturer and distributor to see where the firearm was shipped to (dealer) then the dealer is contacted to see to whom the firearm was sold.

I was contacted many times by the FBI requesting information as to who the gun was sold. Once they get that information they then contact that individual.

Yeah the serial number is still on it. I checked the FDLE site and it's not listed as stolen, that's all I could find out. Thanks for the tip on the bag, I'll do that! Check out the added pic, my friend found the loaded clip today and gave it to me on the beach.

This, to me, screams that it's not a crime-related weapon. My first impression was that the barrel was cut to make it into a personal carry weapon, that fit nicely into the pants holster.

The fact you found a LOADED clip, tells me it's not an intentional toss away. I would think a crime-related pistol would be wiped down, bullets removed, and then tossed. The fact it had bullets in the clip suggests it was probably a personal carry item that got lost when someone fell in, or simply didn't want it any more.

Skippy

The gun I have at home that is mine is a 357 Magnum. :)

Agreed. As the post said it will be turned in. I don't want anything to do with it other than to photograph it and turn it in. The thing has bad vibes all over it.

Pistol packin mama! hubba hubba

Used in a crime, as the barrel was destroyed , so they couldn't do ballistics's , most all gun's have a finger print now done before sale, is the serial # still on the gun ? If you turn it in to the cops , take it in , in a bag, you don't want to get shot, the cops thinking you came to shoot up the place , wright now they ARE trigger happy :yes: , one of those find's ya wish you never found.

Agreed. No other reason to hack off a bbl on a quality firearm. Might be able to match tool marks on spent brass if they have some from a crime scene, but then matching pistol to the ocean doesn't help much. Maybe if they could put a suspect close to that dock......

If the grips are in good shape take them off and sell them separately. Just wrap elec. tape around the frame, the gun turn in people won't care.

This, to me, screams that it's not a crime-related weapon. My first impression was that the barrel was cut to make it into a personal carry weapon, that fit nicely into the pants holster.

The fact you found a LOADED clip, tells me it's not an intentional toss away. I would think a crime-related pistol would be wiped down, bullets removed, and then tossed. The fact it had bullets in the clip suggests it was probably a personal carry item that got lost when someone fell in, or simply didn't want it any more.

Skippy

I agree, it was two tosses into the water, one for the weapon and one for the magazine. I question cutting off the barrel to make it more likely to be concealed since the grip is full size, but quite possible. I would lean more towards destroying the barrel to prevent testing.

I would also turn it in.

Actually the last picture is generally considered to be a Magazine rather than a
Clip although some refer to either by either name.
Marvin

Back
Top Bottom