360° Video - Beaver Dam Creek Battlefield

Dsm_mechva

Forum Supporter
Ever wanted to visit Civil War Battlefields in Virginia ?

Check out my 360° video ..the first in a series of local battlefield videos I plan to make and improve upon as I go hopefully. :)

(* being the first video like this please excuse any quirks or lack of reading the entire long signs..or long list of facts and such but at least you can see it and look around)

Use your computer mouse or move your phone around (or finger on phone screen) to look around.

The Battle of Beaver Dam Creek, also known as the Battle of Mechanicsvilleor Ellerson's Mill, took place on June 26, 1862, in Hanover County, Virginia, as the first major engagement of the Seven Days Battles during the Peninsula Campaign of the American Civil War. It was the start of Confederate General Robert E. Lee's counter-offensive against the UnionArmy of the Potomac, under Maj. Gen.George B. McClellan, which threatened the Confederate capital of Richmond. Lee attempted to turn the Union right flank, north of the Chickahominy River, with troops under Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, but Jackson failed to arrive on time. Instead, Maj. Gen. A.P. Hill threw his division, reinforced by one of Maj. Gen. D.H. Hill's brigades, into a series of futile assaults against Brig. Gen. Fitz John Porter's V Corps, which occupied defensive works behind Beaver Dam Creek. Confederate attacks were driven back with heavy casualties. Porter withdrew his corps safely to Gaines Mill.

Last edited:
Hm, If your on a computer you drag the video image around to look around with the mouse and on a phone with YouTube app you move phone around or finger on video to move video image around.

OK - now on my laptop it works ! :yes::aok:

Nice video. I like the idea of an online video series on local battlefields in 360. Cool beans!

Man that is very cool,, job well done!! I'm not sure what others are experiencing, but this is sweet, gives the end user a choice to check the place out however they want,, only problem I have with it is I start daydreaming thinking "man it wood be sweet to detect that spot then head along the creek",, Anyway, job well done!! looking forward to seeing more!!! On a personal note it was a blast form the past as I was there years ago Thank You

Thanks ! I will be doing more

Cold Harbor
Watt House/Gaines Mill
Chickahominy Bluff
.....and more

Are next on the list, not sure what order I will get to them.

Maybe I'll do regular video instead. It's easier to work with anyway.

I'll think about that ..with only 115 views it may not be worth the 360 effort .

But I can't have people getting confused in the brain. :lol:

Last edited:
I thought it was awesome looked great on my desktop computer. Never saw a video with the 360...I'm assuming you cant detect that place? Very cool nice history lesson!

My brain been confused for a long time :lol: so don't go by me !
You did a lot of work on the vid , Congrats , thank you. . HH

Can't detect it unless you wanna bail me out afterward. :)

Yeh ok 360 it is..its more work but pretty cool unless you're confused in the brain I reckon. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom