Detectors with screens better for trashy sites?

-andrew-

Hi all,

Was out with my Vaquero yesterday at a really trashy site. Lots of hits that sounded like good stuff... I'm sure you know the story.

So I was wondering if detectors with displays are helpful in these types of situations as I've never tried one.

thanks

Yes and no. What can happen at very trashy sites, is that numbers on the display can be merged. (i.e a high conductor and low conductor being close together will give a mid-range number etc).

Therefore at very trashy sites, I usually just listen out because the display can give you dozens of meaningless numbers. When I go out hunting, I don't use any discrimination, regardless how trashy the site is. I would like to hear every single target under my coil, so I can decide what to dig, and what to leave. I've found that if I discriminate iron out, that sometimes good targets will also be discriminated out by default.

Last edited:
I would say that a person would become more acclimated with their machine quicker, and be able to identify iron better. I actually think the number of tones makes it easier to identify good targets from bad. If I'm not mistaken the Tesoro you are using is a single tone.

I would say it depends on the type of hunter you are.

For myself who is a very selective hunter, meaning I don't do iffy's, a display is a must. Yes I've been all through the learn the detectors language blah blah blah, but that's more for the beep-N-digger's. And that was me 30 years ago.

If you have a very trashy site you have two choices, 1. plan on spending a lot of time and digging a lot of trash for a few possible goodies. Nothing wrong with that, but not at my age and situation. 2. Go slow and dig only the positive ID'd targets. You'll possibly miss some goodies, but you'll most likely get any keepers.

A well tuned good stable detector will serve you well at such a site without the need to dig it all.

First off, how long have you been swinging the Tesoro? No matter the type of detector, you have to learn the one you swing. With that said, not that a “beep and dig” detector can’t do the job but a good multi-frequency detector will really help. The Tesoro teaches you about sound. No matter what detector you use, whether it has TID or not, audio comes first. Even TID has its limitations.:yes:

First off, how long have you been swinging the Tesoro? No matter the type of detector, you have to learn the one you swing. With that said, not that a “beep and dig” detector can’t do the job but a good multi-frequency detector will really help. The Tesoro teaches you about sound. No matter what detector you use, whether it has TID or not, audio comes first. Even TID has its limitations.:yes:

Quick question, where is there a question mark in your signature for your detector? (Minelab Equinox ?00) :?:

This is an Audio Primary Sport....I like as many tones as I can get on a rig....I like to hear what the dirt is saying about the site...multidenom stacks can sound like scrap to an unfamiliar ear...put a nickel on top of a Q, or a $10 gold coin on top of a silver dollar...throw in an IHP and see what that does to the audio! So a guy needs to really practice in field and let the dirt teach him the lessons...

Of course being really fast on target retrieval helps condense the learning curve, so thats something to focus on as well...Find the old dirt, each and every site has its own regional dialect! Listen to whats its saying, learn the language as best as you can and when in doubt, dig it out!

Also Andrew, get good hunting in the trash! Embrace it as a classroom! It will make you light years better and open up a world for you to pick that others fear to tread!

A few years, but mostly on the beach; I've only recently (this year) really been looking at non-beach seriously.

What made me ask is that I'm starting to know what junk sounds like, but I'm not great at it. Target size helps a lot, too, so if I'm hearing a great sound but it's 17 inches long, chances are it's not a gold coin...

This is an Audio Primary Sport....I like as many tones as I can get on a rig....

Yeah, mine has one...

I've been watching some videos, and while it's certainly the case that learning the subtleties in a single tone is fantastic, I can't help but think that the "extra data" (more tones, VDI) could help someone get better at recognizing the tones by being able to "cross-check" them.

I am one of those dinosaurs who like trashy places. I use my Tesoro compadre to clean up a trashy spot. After I've cleaned out the pulltabs and large foil, I come back with a higher level detector to get the other stuff. It is not uncommon though, to get a lot of keepers with the Compadre during the clean up stage.

Hi all,

Was out with my Vaquero yesterday at a really trashy site. Lots of hits that sounded like good stuff... I'm sure you know the story.

So I was wondering if detectors with displays are helpful in these types of situations as I've never tried one.

thanks

I find Target Trace on the CTX very useful for this scenario. Once you get the hang of it, its fairly easy to tell when you have multiple targets close together.

I would say that a person would become more acclimated with their machine quicker, and be able to identify iron better. I actually think the number of tones makes it easier to identify good targets from bad. If I'm not mistaken the Tesoro you are using is a single tone.

I like this answer.

In theory, a "screen" (especially a 2-axis grid or graph) is telling you the same thing as a multi-tone orchestra ability machine. It's simply the audio version of what the machine is putting on your screen, after all. Yet for some reason, I gain much more info via a full-tone machine (like the Explorer), than by looking at bouncing cursors, or bouncing needles, etc....

On the 705 I studied the signals for at least the first 60 hours I started with it. I can do a GB, NC, and check audio and go. Im able to call out which coin I'm about to dig, especially with the Digger coil 3khz. I enjoy the VDI but sound tells me between trash and coin. Big iron especially rings just like a quarter!! But with my DD coils I do the wiggle and pull towards my feet over target and it sings out certain harmonics that say ""Trash""! A coin sound and VDI just suddenly quits as I pull out of the target area. I mean its a bit of learning but after some time you can call out many targets and impress your friends. Uh, Well maybe a stranger or two.

listen by tone and help verify by screen

On my 800 (which I am still learning after about 60 hours) I love a trashy park. The multi-frequency shines here. I grid off a 10 x 10 foot area and sweep one direction and then come back and sweep the grid in a 90 degree angle. Meaning if I hunt it walking north to south, I then hunt it again from east to west. I only do this if I am in an area that I am pretty confident it has the targets I am looking for. eg an area of a park or field that others have hunted.

I set my tone breaks to respond loud volume and higher pitch to what I am looking for and soft volume and low pitch for what I am not really interested in.

So when cherry picking silver coins set my tone break to end at 26-29. The 800 will cut through a lot of trash and give you decent signals on silver. Iron bias 1-2 and recovery speed 6.

I don't completely turn off the volume on trash, but it kind of is in the background. I still like to hear the trash in case I get some really good repeatable signals below 26-29. could be a ring.

so for me it is primarily audio tone and I just look at the TID on the 800 to see how the numbers are jumping or not jumping. Jumping only 1 or 2 number in both directing I will often dig those signals just out of curiosity.

The answer yes, the screen is just another tool. I always wondered about the CTX 3030 trace display. That seems like a very good tool.

On my 800 (which I am still learning after about 60 hours) I love a trashy park. The multi-frequency shines here. I grid off a 10 x 10 foot area and sweep one direction and then come back and sweep the grid in a 90 degree angle. Meaning if I hunt it walking north to south, I then hunt it again from east to west. I only do this if I am in an area that I am pretty confident it has the targets I am looking for. eg an area of a park or field that others have hunted.

I set my tone breaks to respond loud volume and higher pitch to what I am looking for and soft volume and low pitch for what I am not really interested in.

So when cherry picking silver coins set my tone break to end at 26-29. The 800 will cut through a lot of trash and give you decent signals on silver. Iron bias 1-2 and recovery speed 6.

I don't completely turn off the volume on trash, but it kind of is in the background. I still like to hear the trash in case I get some really good repeatable signals below 26-29. could be a ring.

so for me it is primarily audio tone and I just look at the TID on the 800 to see how the numbers are jumping or not jumping. Jumping only 1 or 2 number in both directing I will often dig those signals just out of curiosity.

The answer yes, the screen is just another tool. I always wondered about the CTX 3030 trace display. That seems like a very good tool.

Interesting post. Then if I could ask you a question: Now that you've gotten well-acquainted with the Nox for junky park turf (and, especially as you say, the nuances of silver within trash), then a question for you:

Would you say that it would beat the tried-&-true fabled Explorer (or CTX, etc...) for turf ? Limiting the question to silver, not low conductors.

And if you say that it exceeds the prior explorer incarnations for silver in turf, then are you saying that *just* for purposes of sniffing them out among competing targets (averaging & separating issues) ? Or do you think it also meets (or exceeds) the explorer-incarnations for depth on silver in turf too ?

Back
Top Bottom