New to forum - finding stuff already

Brad_bb

I just joined. I don't own a metal detector yet. Actually that's not true, I do own a couple that are dedicated for finding nails and metal in reclaimed barnwood. But I have yet to buy one that I can search the ground with.

I've been watching Nuggetnoggin's channel for about a year and become more interested. The other reason for getting a detector is that I purchased a property near Indianapolis that was an old homestead. I found the homestead's trash pile down a ravine at the edge of a woods(in the woods). I'm sure it was more exsposed at one time and may not have had any trees and brush hiding it. I've been eyeballing finds from this area. All 1940's and older. A decent number of whole bottles, milk bottles, medicine and soap bottles. Found a half buried kids bicycle, A generator housing probably from the 30's. We ended up clearing a trail through the woods along the trash pile as we had to put in a large drain tile to run from the upper part of the property to the lower. Well some of the trash probably got stirred up during the process and two weeks ago I was at the head of the trail and eyeballed a metal disc on the surface. The the last couple weeks I could only guess as to what it was. An embossed eagle with some green corrosion on the front and lead filled on the back with signs of 2 sets of pins. Well after a lot of searching the web I finally found what it was. A civil War Breastplate. I still have some research to do. I'll find out who owned the homestead during and after the civil war and see if any of them are listed as being soldiers. I suspect sometime after the war they decided to dispose of part or all of the uniform. I need a detector to see if I can find any other part of the uniform or any other finds.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I just joined. I don't own a metal detector yet. Actually that's not true, I do own a couple that are dedicated for finding nails and metal in reclaimed barnwood. But I have yet to buy one that I can search the ground with.

I've been watching Nuggetnoggin's channel for about a year and become more interested. The other reason for getting a detector is that I purchased a property near Indianapolis that was an old homestead. I found the homestead's trash pile down a ravine at the edge of a woods(in the woods). I'm sure it was more exsposed at one time and may not have had any trees and brush hiding it. I've been eyeballing finds from this area. All 1940's and older. A decent number of whole bottles, milk bottles, medicine and soap bottles. Found a half buried kids bicycle, A generator housing probably from the 30's. We ended up clearing a trail through the woods along the trash pile as we had to put in a large drain tile to run from the upper part of the property to the lower. Well some of the trash probably got stirred up during the process and two weeks ago I was at the head of the trail and eyeballed a metal disc on the surface. The the last couple weeks I could only guess as to what it was. An embossed eagle with some green corrosion on the front and lead filled on the back with signs of 2 sets of pins. Well after a lot of searching the web I finally found what it was. A civil War Breastplate. I still have some research to do. I'll find out who owned the homestead during and after the civil war and see if any of them are listed as being soldiers. I suspect sometime after the war they decided to dispose of part or all of the uniform. I need a detector to see if I can find any other part of the uniform or any other finds.

https://bradbb.smugmug.com/Shop-Construction-2/i-ZcqzMB2/A

A

For some reason I can't get a pic to show up here. I'm using the Image icon to get the tags on my url for the pic but nothing showing up. Is there a trick?

Lucky you!

Welcome from first flight state.
make sure your photo is within pic size and it's completed the upload.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Here is a thread explaining how to add pictures to your posts -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248949

Edit to add:

I usually use the method at the above link, but the IMG tag method is another option.

Also you have an area on your "User CP" (control panel) where you can upload and save pictures to different albums, It seems that the IMG tags need to be from a url to pictures from your albums when posting a pic to "Visitor Messages" on someone's profile page, though I don't think that's necessary for a pic posted on a forum post using the IMG tag method, so I'm not sure why it didn't work for you.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/usercp.php

FMDF_control_panel2.jpg

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Last edited:
GKL, Thanks for the pic help! Got it! Thanks for the Welcomes everyone!

No problem, glad to help !

Very interesting find, I found a web site that seems to have an exact match for what you found, I made a side by side comparison.

Here is the web site I found the comparison picture on -

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/civilwarantiques/1404webcat.html

on the page at the above link it says of that item:

Eagle Cartridge Box Belt Plate aka Eagle Breastplate: Regulation Civil War circular eagle plate for the infantry cartridge box sling. Lots of original gilding. Two minor edge dings at 9 and 10 o’clock. Both attaching loops intact. This pattern was introduced in the 1820s on the bayonet shoulder belts. Later they were transferred to the cartridge box slings when the bayonets were moved to the waist belt. They represented a bit of labor for the footsoldier, who was expected to keep them bright, along with his cartridge box plate and his waistbelt plate.

Here is the comparison to what you found, looks the same !

eaglepincomparison.jpg

There are other sites with such pins, here is another site -

http://www.hanoverbrass.com/us-revenue-cutter-and-union-breast-plates.html

I did a search for -

civil war eagle breastplate pin

and then clicked on the "images" search button.

https://www.startpage.com/do/search

Back
Top Bottom