Newbie, Will be hunting indian caves on keel Mountain

Welcome from Long Island, New York. Sounds like you have a great spot to hunt. Thank you for your service. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds.

Certainly an interesting story.

I guess the next thing to figure out is where the Union soldiers could have crossed the river with a loaded pack mule. Has anyone tried to figure out how much all that gold would weigh?
After all these years, I imagine that there would be nothing left of the mule or the harness. If the soldier's body was never recovered, the largest likely piece of metal is probably the soldiers pistol, if he had one, or possibly a belt buckle.
I think that most of the Union leather gear was tanned using Hemlock bark and there isn't much of it left now, even in museums, so the mule harness and the leather bags are probably long gone, as well.

If it has ever been logged or burned, there could have been dirt slides and the gold might be under lots of dirt and rock.

I wonder if the hole might have been an old bear/badger/raccoon/possum/etc. den?

Sounds like a lot of fun. My best guess though, is that the gold was found and quietly spent a long time ago.

GL & HH,
John Morton

Hey there Keel.
I have been researching the Keel Mt lost gold all winter long and am planning a trip some time very soon (before it gets too hot). I wanted to see if you wanted to get together for a joint venture.I am in middle Tn Let me know if you're interested.

Welcome to the forum from Western NY

:welcome2:

I also suggest the 3030 as it will go deep and is waterproof. It also has gps which seems like it would be handy in remote locations to find your way back to all that gold! It is not a cheap detector (your preference) but you can find good used deals. Be sure to get a recent mfg unit as they just made some improvements in the detector seals(ask before you buy).

It wouldn't hurt to post in the Advice on Detector Purchase section here also.
Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Hello Dan if you need help hunting I would love to help I live in Fayetteville TN not to far away I've been to that area before.you have an awesome place to hunt I am in the process of purchasing a group system also and have a pulse detector also.

Just an "FY"...this thread is from March 2013, the OP has not posted since then and this is his one and only post.

Welcome from central MA! I would buy a minelab CTX 3030 and dig EVERY signal if it was my land. Good way to learn your new machine too :D good luck out there!

If there is no trash there the deepest seeking machines are pulse induction detectors, and if you need waterproof you need something like a Tesoro, Garrett Infinium, White's Dual Field, or Fisher CZ21. I think the story is very fishy, no human being could move a large duffel of gold one foot. Just because the story is on the internet doesn't make the story true and doesn't give it one ounce of truth. Also gold coins were carried in wooden chests or metal strong boxes. Good luck if you look for it!!

I remember as a teenager our school took a trip to the bank and they showed us a bag of fifty cent pieces that was about 1.5 feet high and maybe 10 - 12 inches in diameter and none of us boys could lift it but a few inches off the ground for 20-30 seconds. a duffel bag of gold? But still you have a lot property to hunt and you never know.

I remember as a teenager our school took a trip to the bank and they showed us a bag of fifty cent pieces that was about 1.5 feet high and maybe 10 - 12 inches in diameter and none of us boys could lift it but a few inches off the ground for 20-30 seconds. a duffel bag of gold? But still you have a lot property to hunt and you never know.

Old thread, probably a troll, if he actually owned the property, came hear to ask for help, I'd be amazed if he lost interest that quick.

Or as T-man suggested.

Back
Top Bottom