Chinese coin?

BillZ

Elite Member
Anybody know what this is?

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Yup thats a Chinese coin alright. I;d try to ID it but I am home ATM and my coin books are at my office.

They were used in Japan too...Japan had to import coins way back.

Maybe you could go over it with a toothbrush and dish soap to bring out more detail on the kanji.

The odds of it being valuable are pretty darn small. If you want to make it look better for the sake of showing people you could go over it with a brass brush.

If you want to play it super safe just use a toothbrush and distilled water.

I also would like to know......
It looks like one of the coins I found the other day.

Attachments

• March-11-09 01.jpg
    March-11-09 01.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 835
  • March-11-09 02.jpg
    March-11-09 02.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 764
Yup thats a Chinese coin alright. I;d try to ID it but I am home ATM and my coin books are at my office.

They were used in Japan too...Japan had to import coins way back.

Maybe you could go over it with a toothbrush and dish soap to bring out more detail on the kanji.

Thanks, I was hoping you would see my post.
I scrubbed it a little with a toothbrush but will go at it again.

Chinese coins like these were minted during the reign of the Emperor. Your coins will have the name of the Emperor, the date or time period it was minted, and where it was minted. I haven't seen one like the first coin, top pic in your post. As from the second coin, off the cuff it appears that it was minted by the Board of Revenue, Peking, possibly dating it to between 1661-1722. But I could be wrong. Have a look on the Net under dating old chinese coins. You should get an answer there.
Golden :-)

EC nailed it. It is a Chinese cash coin. They are relatively plentiful in the West Coast as well as areas where large China towns were settled in the 1800's and 1900's

Thanks Golden! cleaned it up a bit more.

I think it is this one...

chinesecoin.jpg

Dynasty: Ch'ing (1644 - 1911 a.d.)
Emperor: Jen Tsung (1796-1820 a.d.)
Reign Title: Chia Ch'ing (1796-1820 a.d.)
23 mm and 24 mm (with slightly different style mintmark)
Obv.: Chia Ch'ing T'ung Pao
Rev.: Right: Manchu Yuwan - The Board of Public Works mint, Peking
Left: Manchu Boo - coin

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Here's one that I dug earlier this year.

Attachments

• chinese coin 002.jpg
    chinese coin 002.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 650
  • chinese coin 001.jpg
    chinese coin 001.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 669
Thanks Golden! cleaned it up a bit more.

I think it is this one...
Dynasty: Ch'ing (1644 - 1911 a.d.)
Emperor: Jen Tsung (1796-1820 a.d.)
Reign Title: Chia Ch'ing (1796-1820 a.d.)
23 mm and 24 mm (with slightly different style mintmark)
Obv.: Chia Ch'ing T'ung Pao
Rev.: Right: Manchu Yuwan - The Board of Public Works mint, Peking
Left: Manchu Boo - coin

Looks like you hit the nail on the head bill with this one!
The Chinese coins were of no monetary value in Australia when the Chinese migrated here, mostly heading to the goldfields. So the coins were either used in gambling, a bit like tokens, or thrown over their shoulders for good luck. On one old site I discovered a few years ago used to have an old miners cottage on it. As I detected along the old worn pathway from the site down to a dirt road, I dug up coin after coin along this path, and just the occasional coin away from it. But it was interesting to note the direction the coins seems to follow, and I could imagine a Chinese fellow throwing them over his shoulder as he went on his way to work the mines nearby. I'm amazed at the history you can build from a little knowledge and what you find on a site.
Golden:yes:

I have only dug a few of the squareholers myself. As a matter of fact got one today! Will post it when I get back to work. The ones I have found all look worse than those found by hunters in America.:lol:

The Japanese soil is harsh.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom