1/2 Reale found in CA

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
I know that reales are jumping out of every sand box on the east coast. But out here in the west, we have to work at finding coins that old :laughing:

Those of us in central and northern CA don't normally allow Southern CA hunters to come north of the Santa Barbara line. But made an exception for Val ("dana point val") Who was slated to come visit his son Jason ("staydetuned") in San Francisco for the Thanksgiving weekend. Naturally that meant we had to blindfold Val. So he wouldn't know where he was being taken to. And for each silver coin he found, he had to pay $100 "tax". But ... hey, what are friends for after all ? :mder:

They gave me permission to assemble the pix for a post.

First stop: Jason & Val hit a spot more north of me, up in Jason's direction. A relicky site hunt. Jason scored with a Spanish reale (hence pre - 1823). His first reale that was that old, if I'm not mistaken. He was not able to get a date off of it. But you can definitely see the pillars . It's a 1/2 reale size.

Also up north they did a day of park hunting too. And got the usual fare of wheaties, a silver washington, an IH, etc...

Then the 3 of us joined up for some hunts in my area. First we did Carmel Beach dry sand. A certain zone that has hard-pack within reach. So occasionally turns up silver coins in this one area. This day was no different. We each got oldies. Jason got a merc, a silver roosie, and 6 wheaties. Val got a '42 walker half, a silver roosie, and 4 wheaties. I got a merc, a silver roosie, and 6 wheaties.

Next stop, they wanted to do some old-fashioned turf-strategy exercises. So we all went to Central Park Salinas. A super pounded and junky old park. Jason got 6 wheaties . One of which was an '09 if I recall. He was going to scrutinize under some pitting whether or not it was an "S" and/or "vdb". Did you do that yet Jason ? Val got an '02 IH and a wheatie. I got a merc & 6 wheaties.

Thanx for stopping by on your family holiday weekend guys ! Great to see you.

IMG954915.jpg

IMG954917.jpg

Val's finds from their trip. Right hand row: Turf hunting up in Jason's area. Middle row: Carmel Beach. Left Row: Central Park Salinas.

IMG_3484.jpg

Jason's finds. First pix: Carmel Beach. Second pix: Central park Salinas.

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4922.jpg

My finds from the leg of their trip to my area. 1st pix: Carmel Beach. 2nd pix: Central park Salinas.

20171127_131703.jpg

20171127_131705.jpg

Great pics and nice recording of the finds Tom and Co! Can I ask what the other guys were running for machines? It doesn’t look like silver likes salt,that half is pretty tortured looking! It’s always a good time when serious hunters get together,and a bit of friendly competition never hurts...it’s just motivation!
If I ever find a Spanish ANYTHING I will soil myself and then expire on the spot,in that order.:lol: I can’t imagine seeing something like that in the dirt...
I’m glad you guys had time to hunt over the holiday,just more great memories for when you’re in a rocking chair...;)

Great pics and nice recording of the finds Tom and Co! Can I ask what the other guys were running for machines? It doesn’t look like silver likes salt,that half is pretty tortured looking! It’s always a good time when serious hunters get together,and a bit of friendly competition never hurts...it’s just motivation!
If I ever find a Spanish ANYTHING I will soil myself and then expire on the spot,in that order.:lol: I can’t imagine seeing something like that in the dirt...
I’m glad you guys had time to hunt over the holiday,just more great memories for when you’re in a rocking chair...;)

Hey there IDX-monster, good to hear from you. We were all using Explorers (II, & Etrac).

The silver beach coins, from the zone these were at, is above all past high-water marks. So they're only kissed with gray and sand grains fused on, yet are not "tumbled" by being in the intertidal zone. So these would actually come clean, if we cared to. But being as how they're not key dates, they're just thrown into our silver melt boxes.

Yup, half the fun of it is the "duel". To try to out-hunt your peers, so you can give them a hard time when you spank them, haha

Hey that Spanish belongs here in the East for us New Englander's to find. What's it doing out there? Oh well...nice find!

I know that reales are jumping out of every sand box on the east coast. But out here in the west, we have to work at finding coins that old :laughing:

You should cash in some of those spare gold coins you are using to stabilize your tables and travel out east to hunt. I am running out of storage space for all of these old coins. You need to take some back west with you to alleviate my storage woes.

Looks like you had some good hunting.

Be thankful your ground won't be frozen solid in the next few days...

I like that green leaf silver ring!
I would have thought you cleaned out all the parks in Carmel by now?
Tom you have a bunch of good hunting spots,lucky you!

Hey Tom,
Thanks for the great write-up.

Nice to see you folks making such super nice finds out there.

Man I’m jelly big time on the reale and the hunt with the Tom!

Nice work and like like a lot of fun and some great finds, thanks for sharing!

Wow, that was worth the wait. Nice seeing those oldies come from California. Sounds like fun hunting with some nice oldies. Congrats guys.

You should cash in some of those spare gold coins you are using to stabilize your tables and travel out east to hunt. I am running out of storage space for all of these old coins. You need to take some back west with you to alleviate my storage woes.

Looks like you had some good hunting.

Be thankful your ground won't be frozen solid in the next few days...

haha, yes, in true west coast fashion, ANOTHER gold coin just surfaced. I'm sure you've seen the show & tell by now. It wasn't me this time. But I was 100 yards away hunting while my buddy bagged it: 1865 s $5 gold.

And yes, we find so many of them, that he's already bored a hole through the middle, to use it as a washer to fix his lawn mower :laughing:

If we weren't so busy digging gold coins here, I'd love to some day do some east coast hunting. ;)

..... Tom, what is your detector of choice out there in CA?

I'm using the Explorer II, with sun-ray probe for most all my hunt needs. Occasionally, in thick carpets of nails and iron, I reach for my Tesoro Bandido.

Nice finds and hunting by everyone. That's great that you all were able to meet up for some detecting together.

LIES, tom must have planted that 1/2 reale for him to find, just so he could try and fit in with the east coasters. :laughing:

Oh sure! Old Spanish silver once again found in California! Big deal! Its all over the public parks and totlots out there as common as pennies! Heck, you can probably find a handful in any CA Coinstar reject tray! Gold coins as common as a Minnesota sled hill zipper!

Cant believe you even posted about it! Oh well, congratulations and heres a Jumbo Font for you!:laughing:

I've told ya not to let those SoCal boys N/O the Santa Barbara County line!! :laughing:

Congratz to Val and Jason!!:cool:

Hey that Spanish belongs here in the East for us New Englander's to find. What's it doing out there? Oh well...nice find!

thanx Mr. Digger. Us guys on the west coast can't let you east coast guys have ALL the fun after all :frustrated:

.... I would have thought you cleaned out all the parks in Carmel by now?
Tom you have a bunch of good hunting spots,lucky you!

Yes, I'm so ashamed of myself for not farming out all the signals, before those pesky out-of-towners arrive, haha. This was a beach spot, where perpetual foot traffic , following some municipal beach restoration work 20 or 30 yrs. ago, eventually revealed (1 sand grain at-a-time) some deeper zones. Pathways changed d/t some street work and muni-water-outflow drain-pipe work (dune restoration, blah blah). Causing pedestrian pathways and down-wind "shadows" of vegetation to change. And .... eventually, some zones that had previously been super deep-normal dry sand, began to show hardpan and hard-pack. It was quickly worked out. But ..... every 3 or 4 months , I go back and find a few more oldies hiding out :/

... thanks for sharing!
thanx for chiming in ground-sweeper !

Nice little half, too bad it's so slick...

Yeah, we had hoped a date would come off of it.

Wow, that was worth the wait. Nice seeing those oldies come from California. Sounds like fun hunting with some nice oldies. Congrats guys.

And thank you too for posting all your exploits. Hey, us CA guys gotta stick together, haha

Nice hunting there Tom, congrats!

thanx cellr-dwellr!

Nice finds and hunting by everyone. That's great that you all were able to meet up for some detecting together.

Yeah, half the fun was just to duel, haha

LIES, tom must have planted that 1/2 reale for him to find, just so he could try and fit in with the east coasters. :laughing:

Yes, we confess. It's a major case of locker-room envy. You got me :sissyfight:

I've told ya not to let those SoCal boys N/O the Santa Barbara County line!! :laughing: ....

Yes. But not to worry: You'll be getting your cut on the extortion profits. Watch your paypal account, haha

I'm gonna be keeping my eyes on you west coast guys! lol Congrats on the finds , silver gold you guys are killing it.

"I know that reales are jumping out of every sand box on the east coast. But out here in the west, we have to work at finding coins that old."

Congrats on the Reale!

They don't exactly jump out of the ground here, but we are in fact advantaged by the age of our settlements.

The city I live in was founded in 1642, now if it were only not 95% paved over that'd be great!

Back
Top Bottom