Winter hunt in WI...rather easy with this tool!

IDXMonster

Elite Member
Don't bring this to a park or school folks,bad idea. The Detech Ultimate came a week ago and it wasn't gonna sit till spring. With 5-6" of snow everywhere I needed the biggest coil I had for the EX2 so OFF we went to an 1870s farm site. On this site is a cellar hole from who knows when,but they sure LOVED harmonicas! I've found 5 reeds and a complete harmonica so far,just waiting to dig up a cello! On the way I stopped at the hardware store and got a Collins pick axe. It's a 2.5 lb model,and while I don't know anything about pick axes in general,I can tell you frozen ground has NO chance against this one. Winter is viable once again.
This guy has dug two crotal bells,my other isn't all that special. This one is,it's a 2" model,engraved,heavy and WORKS! The reeds are in good shape,and the suspender buckle says "Pat 1872". So I know I'm in an area that could have very old coins,I just haven't gotten there...yet. I think the other thing is a watch back,but I'm not sure,it's a bit fubarred.
The Ultimate coil worked FLAWLESSLY in this sea of everything,though I'm sure once the snow layer disappears I'll be back with the X-8 and X-5.
If you have a frozen site like this and the shovel isn't enough,get a pick axe. It makes very short work of,well.....everything.

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 274
I sure know how you feel Matt. I wonder how those woods over at Grant are...you know damn well with the history of that place there must be stuff just waiting to be dug up. Question is...what's the ground like right now? Maybe a tiny pick axe or a good framing hammer with a huge claw? I'm sure you'll get it done,be sure to post back how you did!;)

Damn Kevin! That fever is unstoppable in you. It sounds like its contagious too, as Matt has the symptoms. Hope you continue to dig great rewards. Congrats! Trapper

Congrats, I think. I'm not sure I should enable you with words of encouragement :lol:

I'm also not sure whether I should admire you, be jealous of you, pray for you or call the dudes in the white coats for you! LOL

Congrats, I think. I'm not sure I should enable you with words of encouragement :lol:

I'm also not sure whether I should admire you, be jealous of you, pray for you or call the dudes in the white coats for you! LOL

White coats... I want to see a picture of the first coin that you pierce or cut in half with that thing.:laughing:

Supposed to be in the 40s tomorrow Big T! How about it? I KNOW you have some fields over there! Grab some pistachios and GET CRACKIN'!

Very nice to see you got out and into some fine targets! Sorta not too bad eh? At least a guy dont have to worry about bugs or getting overheated too fast...:laughing:
Mud

Supposed to be in the 40s tomorrow Big T! How about it? I KNOW you have some fields over there! Grab some pistachios and GET CRACKIN'!

Don't temp me, I'd have to check my calendar, but something tells me something else is happening. And momma might not be ok happy!

Very nice to see you got out and into some fine targets! Sorta not too bad eh? At least a guy dont have to worry about bugs or getting overheated too fast...:laughing:
Mud

The best part about it was being able to hunt at all,and it is very nice out in the woods all by yourself with nothing but what you know and what could be. The temp was about 30-32 degrees which to me is perfect,dressed in 3 layers. IF I can find any coins here they will almost undoubtedly be very old,which is the main temptation for me. LOVE this type of hunting! The absence of bugs and heat were the icing on the dirt cake..

Alright great digs love the crotal bell! Good luck there in the future gotta be some old coinage hiding in there!

Thanks Cellr! Look familiar?:lol: I do think the possibility of coinage is there,and since I have NO other options right now I'll work on this one till it hurts. Tomorrow will provide another attempt,and with temps expected in the lower 40s you can bet I'll be out there for awhile...at least!
Any tips on cellar holes in general? I cannot tell where the front door was or any of that so I'm kind of flying blind. There is a "field side" to the north and "woods" side to the south...is there rhyme or reason that you've found that would place the door on a specific side of the house?

Thanks Cellr! Look familiar?:lol: I do think the possibility of coinage is there,and since I have NO other options right now I'll work on this one till it hurts. Tomorrow will provide another attempt,and with temps expected in the lower 40s you can bet I'll be out there for awhile...at least!
Any tips on cellar holes in general? I cannot tell where the front door was or any of that so I'm kind of flying blind. There is a "field side" to the north and "woods" side to the south...is there rhyme or reason that you've found that would place the door on a specific side of the house?

The front yard has always been the best to me, but a very thorough sweep around the entire hole should be done. Also look for the well and any dips in the ground, as they could be the trash pits from retired outhouses. The trip to the john and the trip back could have resulted in dropped items. I always had very good luck in the fields bordering the cellar hole. But that may be out of the question this time of year. Often times the front step remains which is a large slab of granite. Good luck out there man and please keep us posted! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Detecting in WI? You guys have a sickness. I thought I was a die hard. You make me look like a fair weather detectorist. There is 10 inches of snow in my yard. Good luck to all of you and Merry Christmas. PJ

Back
Top Bottom