I decided to leave my metal detecting club

I don't see a point in being in a club. Just one more thing to pay for. Sure it may have it's benefits. I know I have had a tough time finding places to hunt. But I can just search online if I want to.
I bet you'll have more fun just hunting on your own, than with some pre arranged event.

Lots of great reasons to join a club...if it is a good one.
Camaraderie, new friendships, tips and ideas on new places to hunt.
All this and more is supposed to be part of a good club, although I know not all of them are like this.

Its supposed to be a club, not a competition environment, you don't have grand masters and masters, you can have catagories for competition which helps the newer md'ers to get their items treated like the 20 year detectorists stuff.

Man you have this all wrong.
All categories are open to every member, new or older, everyone has a shot at every one every week and those classifications have a two-fold purpose.
Not only are they good for the ego and self gratification, if you do reach a certain level you are effectively blocked out from entering that category again.
Another very fair way to give all members a shot at prizes, which in our clubs case are awarded not just for first place but second and third place too in most categories.

That may or may not have been directed at me, but please re-read what I wrote about how we do GrandMaster and Master. For instance, it keeps the guy who water hunts from winning Best Jewelry every single time through the year, or the guy who specializes in finding old camp sites from taking Best Military Relic constantly. It allows anyone newer to compete in the monthly contests as well...no one gets special treatment for their finds. The monthly contests are just supposed to be something fun and give a bit of recognition to people. Monthly contests are only for finds made since the last meeting. I don't know anyone that walks around saying I'm a GrandMaster or a Master and you're new...doesn't happen. The titles if you can earn them during a year are a good goal / accomplishment, but the PURPOSE is as I've outlined to allow more people to win in the monthly contests. GrandMaster or Master titles must be earned each club year. Everyone starts out a new year with a clean slate.

I think the way we do it corrects some of the problem you experienced at the club you're talking about, at least when it comes to contests.

Sumrtym is the treasurer of my club and he is exactly correct.
Maybe I lucked out moving to an area of the country that has a club like this that has been around so long and has such a logical membership and leadership and have tried to correct most of the problems inherent in many others and outlined by the OP.
Nothing is perfect, even some of the policies in our club pop up from time to time for discussion and consideration for change, but over all this one seems to be a better one and every meeting it seems we have many visitors checking us out and new members joining monthly.

I can tell you from the time I joined I have been welcomed with open arms, have made some great friendships and have been treated with nothing but respect.

Being a lone wolf hunter for the most part for the first year I had this hobby I did not know what to expect when I joined, but I can say that for me this has been nothing but an extremely positive experience that has added greatly to the fun I have doing this and has also added to my collections because I have also won many prizes at our monthly meetings along with over $350 worth of quality prizes at the annual seeded hunt.
This was my first time at an event like this and boy did I have a great time at this thing.
Also, I am not sure about other clubs, but at our outdoor hunting meetings in the summer and our annual family oriented seeded hunt event many members bring food for these things, some store bought, some home made, and all of it is great!

Not all club experiences are great, some aren't even very good or might even go as far as leaning to the horrible side, but that doesn't mean they all are like that.

Mine isn't...and joining turned out to be one of the best experiences I have had since starting this hobby.

I know where you are coming from DC!!! My local detecting club is sooooo bad they are actually the cause of PUBLIC places NOT allowing metal detecting for many miles around where I live because they tear up the grounds at public spots and go onto private properties and hunt without permission!!! I obtained permission from a local church last week to hunt and was informed that the very club I belong was caught trespassing at this church 2 years ago looking for stuff. A$$holes....

It's a fairly old club and the guys are all older than me by about 20 years, I am 40. I joined before I knew what they were all about. I only was able to handle two "meetings" before I called it quits. VERY rude people that NEVER talked about metal detecting once. Just where seeded hunts were going to be and how much $$$ it would cost to go. All they did was try and sell stuff to pay for whatever it is they buy. It was a JOKE!!!!! The first 5 mins I was in the hall, some miserable old detectorist asked me if I was going to sell any of the coins I brought to the meeting, I said no. He then VERY quickly replied, "Why the hell did you bring them? We've all found the same coins you have in your had many, many times,.....we know what they look like." Then proceeded to walk away. At that point I had been detecting for about 2 WEEKS, I was brand new!!! I found a couple of Mercs I was proud of and thought a md club was a place to bring finds to share. I have tried a few other "clubs" since then and have found out that the ones I have tried are basically high school cliques and not really worth it. That's ok, I don't need a club to find great stuff and learn about this hobby.

I have absolutely zero interest in joining a club. Looking for something that was just purposely burried that day does not appeal to me at all.

It's really more social. Clubs will also do things like plant numbered tokens and at the end there is a drawing where the numbers are called to win big ticket prizes like metal detectors, pin pointers etc. (Also helps level the playing field on prizes.) Other games like that based on what you find.

Funny story. Thats why I'm a lone
wolf hunter.:yes:

I have a friend up there who has secured permission
to hunt a few properties from the property owners.

When it warms up we are going to hit.

Lots and lots up history up there.:yes:

I've learned more tips and tricks right here on this forum.:yes:
H.H. Al

I know where you are coming from DC!!! My local detecting club is sooooo bad they are actually the cause of PUBLIC places NOT allowing metal detecting for many miles around where I live because they tear up the grounds at public spots and go onto private properties and hunt without permission!!! I obtained permission from a local church last week to hunt and was informed that the very club I belong was caught trespassing at this church 2 years ago looking for stuff. A$$holes....

It's a fairly old club and the guys are all older than me by about 20 years, I am 40. I joined before I knew what they were all about. I only was able to handle two "meetings" before I called it quits. VERY rude people that NEVER talked about metal detecting once. Just where seeded hunts were going to be and how much $$$ it would cost to go. All they did was try and sell stuff to pay for whatever it is they buy. It was a JOKE!!!!! The first 5 mins I was in the hall, some miserable old detectorist asked me if I was going to sell any of the coins I brought to the meeting, I said no. He then VERY quickly replied, "Why the hell did you bring them? We've all found the same coins you have in your had many, many times,.....we know what they look like." Then proceeded to walk away. At that point I had been detecting for about 2 WEEKS, I was brand new!!! I found a couple of Mercs I was proud of and thought a md club was a place to bring finds to share. I have tried a few other "clubs" since then and have found out that the ones I have tried are basically high school cliques and not really worth it. That's ok, I don't need a club to find great stuff and learn about this hobby.

Good clubs and Bad Clubs

Obviously, all clubs are different. I joined one in May in Raleigh of last year. I was welcomed. made to feel at home, not pressured to join or pay dues, and my then 13 year old daughter was welcomed to join me and has been a favorite there (she is cute!). We had club hunts and a Xmas party, I never felt bullied or ostracized because I was a relative Newbie. People were very open about helping and giving tips, and were always appreciative of everyone's finds. I have nothing bad to say about our club except that the snacks have too many calories for me!

I am not interested in Joining a club either, but I am interested in meeting new people that share the same interests as me, I would rather meet new friends from here and go detecting with them and have fun doing it then joining a club and trying to fit in.

Just wanted to share my experience and add to the discussion.
I am very very new to the hobby, but I'm the kind of person that jumps in head first. I joined this forum not long after I got my first MD and spent hours on here at a time learning so much from all the helpful threads and posts. A few weeks later I found out that there was a MD club about an hour away from me. I figured if the people in the club were as helpful and friendly as the people on this forum then what a great experience it would be to go and meet some fellow enthusiasts.

So the day came for the next meeting and I got to the meeting place about 15 mins early. I don't like to be late but didn't want to be the first person in either. After a few people trickled in I decided to walk in. Opened the door, a few heads popped up from the corner where they were standing, then went right back down to what they were looking at. No "hello" or "welcome", I stood there for a minute or two not really knowing what to do. Someone walks in and I ask them this is the Metal detecting meeting, he says "yes" and walks to the corner where the other guys are standing. I finally decide to take a seat since apparently everyone is to busy, so i sit in the middle of the room, take my jacket off, and I hear from the corner "you cant sit there, thats where we put our finds". So i move to the far side of the room, sit there for another 10-15 mins while more and more people are coming in. I finally see an older lady walking towards me and she says "raffle ticket?", I said "no thank you". I had had enough, put my jacket on and walked out.

I have never felt so unwelcome before. Maybe I didn't give them long enough or maybe I should have tried harder to introduce myself to them. But after being there for almost a half hour and the only words spoken to me were "yes" "you cant sit there" and "raffle ticket?" I came to the conclusion that the club scene is not for me, I think I'll just stick to this forum :grin:

Having been a member of non-treasure hunting clubs in the past, the 'flavor' was somewhat dependant on the management of the club. There are likely as many good reasons to stay as bad ones to leave.
We are, fortunately, also members of a growing trend. Online forums allow time as one has available to pick and choose who to interact with, which discipline to share and learn about. Whether it's 4 pm or 2 in the morning, tips, photos and stories are at our fingertips.

I'm grateful for this forum in particular. A wide range of skill levels, geographic locations and personalities add to the strength of THE metal detecting forum- this one!

:)

(steps off soap box, shuffles back to seat)

I am not interested in Joining a club either, but I am interested in meeting new people that share the same interests as me, I would rather meet new friends from here and go detecting with them and have fun doing it then joining a club and trying to fit in.

right on!:yes:

I think the only reason I'd join a club is to meet new local people. I don't even know if there is one near me for that matter. I'd prefer to just meet a couple people then do our own little hunts.

Being a newbie myself, here's a suggestion to anyone who is thinking about starting their own club; to avoid having the "clique" factor of Veteran Md'ers vs. Newbie MD'ers, why not have a big brother/sister program? When a newbie comes in, they can choose to be partnered with a Vet for a while to learn the ropes.

The first 5 mins I was in the hall, some miserable old detectorist asked me if I was going to sell any of the coins I brought to the meeting, I said no. He then VERY quickly replied, "Why the hell did you bring them? We've all found the same coins you have in your had many, many times,.....we know what they look like." Then proceeded to walk away. At that point I had been detecting for about 2 WEEKS, I was brand new!!! I found a couple of Mercs I was proud of and thought a md club was a place to bring finds to share.

The first thing I took in cos I was proud of it was a rusted back badge that said 'ask me about coffee day for crippled kids'.

I thought it was the ultimate in Americana, it screamed 1960's and I found that it was used only in one town and I had a news story and picture of someone wearing it.

I didn't get any place and they didn't seem interested....but I cant make people interested in my finds even if I am...I have never taken my 1914d wheatie in and wont now...but I can see people wanting to buy others coins when they havnt mentioned them for sale...infact I never saw anyone selling their coins, finds or won through the raffle/competition, I was close to offering someone some cash for their winning silver in the raffle, cos he said "oh, great, another one!", he was joking but id have handed over $30 for a common 1 oz silver unit.

Well hopefully this year we can set something up, there are others from RI and MA who are willing to travel, maybe hit some of the south shore, or some fields if we can get permission, if not we could hit a bunch of totlots and suck that damn silver outta the ground..i think theres about a dozen right now who are willing to try and set something up depending on the palce and when the snow finally pisses off

I have never felt so unwelcome before. Maybe I didn't give them long enough or maybe I should have tried harder to introduce myself to them. But after being there for almost a half hour and the only words spoken to me were "yes" "you cant sit there" and "raffle ticket?" I came to the conclusion that the club scene is not for me, I think I'll just stick to this forum :grin:
Mine was close to that..i actually approached the table with the people sat down to ask what was going on tonight, I know some people get sick of constant turnover or lookie loo's but your never going to get the new members your asking for if when they come in you see them as a nuisance to your little group..cos that's the only thing will grow your little group

Mine was close to that..i actually approached the table with the people sat down to ask what was going on tonight, I know some people get sick of constant turnover or lookie loo's but your never going to get the new members your asking for if when they come in you see them as a nuisance to your little group..cos that's the only thing will grow your little group[/QUOTE]

You lasted 25 min. more then I would have!:laughing::laughing:

I just got an email back from my club thanking me for my input and sad I feel the need to leave, saying he would pass on the problems id found to the board and im the first person to leave and tell them why as opposed to just fading away.

Hopefully they will look into the fact there is little there for the new members and change some things, start some things and become a place the new can go and feel like they either belong or are welcome and others happy they are there

There's NO reason to charge dues!!

You can run a club without having dues. I did it when I lived in NM and I am doing it now here in FL. The current club is an "E-club" on Facebook for detectorists in a 75 mile radius of Destin FL who are Florida residents and LIVE full time in the area. I don't mind sharing with visitors and have met a lot of great MD'ists who have come here on vacation BUT, I won't help them "Poach" my prime spots. If you meet the requirements, then friend me on FB (Roy Cobb) and I'll add you to the group.

We exchange research info and ideas on the group, plan group hunts and meet ups and get together in person for "Wings Wednesday" when possible. If we were to plan something that required a cash outlay, we would get an RSVP tally and split the cost for that event. We haven't done any competition hunts (I'm not into that but wouldn't prevent it) but I would look for all the prizes to be donated - I did that for a Mountain Man Ron-D-Voo (Rendezvous) that I was Booshway of. That way there was no cost to the club members.

Clubs can be fun, but everyone has to be on-board with having fun. It is JUST a hobby, after all...

Dont know anything about the club you joined but I do know the club That I am a member of is a good club and yes there are those that have their little groups but few in this club . Everyone in this club will helpful and and yes some do win the finds of the month more than some but I have come to realise they get to search more than me due to their work schedule or being retired helps them If I could spend 8 hours aday searching like some of th members in my club I could probably do a lot better as well but that is not why I joined the club . I joined because it helps me get access to other places to search and I get to search with others as well cause it is not a lot of fun to search by yourself I have a Son and Grandson That I get to search with as much as possiable but not everyday JMHO

Back
Top Bottom