Handmade silver 5th Wisconsin Infantry Tag

rob_vic

I dug this awesome tag recently and wanted to share it with y'all! The front has 5 W.I. etched into it and was found in an area where the 5th Wisconsin Infantry was known to have fought and camped during the Virginia Campaign.

I took it to a local silver expert to help with the marks on the back and this is what he was able to tell me:
It appears the tag was cut from a pocket watch, snuff can, or other thin gauge silver object and sewed onto a hat or other personal belonging.
The back has the following English hallmarks:
Lion passant indicating the piece is Sterling silver.
Crowned Leopard represents the London Assayers Office.
Date letter "U" indicating the original silver item was produced in 1815.
The duty mark is present, but very worn.
The maker's mark is "IH" and possibly represents John Harris, an English silversmith.

My first tag ever and first silver of the year!
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 5_WI_-_Front 1.jpg
    5_WI_-_Front 1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 5_WI_-_Back 1.jpg
    5_WI_-_Back 1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 208
This is an incredible find! Nice work getting all of the info on it too.

Field made into a 3rd Corps badge (diamond) ,,, friggen Awesome !! Looks like the Soldier was scratching on the reverse, maybe his name or initials ? Congrats on a great piece.

Thanks! I surely thought a 3rd Corps badge as well, but 5th WI was 6th Corps, so the shape doesn't match. Do you think it is a corps badge? I'd be stoked if it is!

Impressive that you also picked up on the scratches on the reverse! It looks like he practiced on the back because there is a faint outline of the number 5 and the two lines across the back match up with design on the front. The other scratches may be assayer's marks to test the silver, not sure.

I just assumed because the placement of letters and pin attachments. Now that I've looked I see they were in the 4th Corps early in the war and that symbol is a triangle, so I don't know.

That is a really cool find. If only it could talk. The story it could tell. Congratulations on a great find.

Back
Top Bottom