AT Pro vs AT Max

FallGuy

Buying a new detector. Was set on the AT Pro until I read about the AT Max. I read about the differences, my main question is for any real world users that have used both. Is the Max that much better than the pro and worth the extra money?

Well just realized that the release date isn't until late August. That is a bummer when you're ready to buy a new detector now.

It's basically the AT Pro.. I highly doubt there's going to be a noticeable difference in depth or finding smaller targets

If i were you i would be looking for a used at pro from someone going to the max. Or just get yourself a pro.

Or just wait for the max. Depends what you want and when you want it :p

I had a at pro and became very good with it. A decent detector , if you have the money and are looking for a top notch detector that beats the garretts hands down buy a deus and skip the at series. Garrett is still trying to play catch up imo . Sorry at users but that just my personal experience. Buying detectors is a lot like buying fishing gear, what ever someone is using the best and they will rant and rave about how it does this and that blah blah etc. So my advice is do your homework very well ,I spent many hours doing it and a lot of money too to find out whats up in the metal detector world.

I haven't used the AT Max, but I do have an AT Pro. It's a great machine, especially as a first one. Not overly expensive and very capable.

The big advantages of the AT Max as I read about it seem to be the all metal mode and Z Lync built in with wireless headphones.

All metal mode will provide a constant hum that will get louder as the detector is over any metal. It should help you detect deeper objects, but not provide any information on what that object is. I have it on my Rutus Alter and, to be honest, so far I favor the descrimination modes. The Rutus has mixed mode with both descrimination and all metal that I use sometimes. I assume that's how the AT Max will work, but I don't know that for certain. I'm still learning the Rutus so I may get better with the all metal modes as I use them more. But so far I haven't seen much benefit from them.

As far as wireless goes the Z Lync is a nice addition. I have the orginal module for my AT Pro. It's nice not being connected to the detector. But if you buy it separately, it'll work on almost any detector with a 1/4 headphone jack. So one unit can be swapped to many different machines and if you get hooked in the hobby, at some point in the future you'll at least consider getting additional machines.

I expect the AT Max to be a great seller and very capable. But you won't lose alot if you go for the AT Pro now and add the Z-Lync system. At least in my opinion.

Thanks all for the imput. I've been in the hobby for quite a while now with an ACE 250. Would love to get a Deus but they are a little pricey, especially since I can't get out as much as I want.

I've decided to go with the Pro for now and possibly do the Z-Link later on. If the Max is that awesome and different from the pro after some real world use, perhaps I'll grab one. Then maybe a Deus or CTX3030 down the road!!

Just got my AT Max

Sold my ATP and now playing with my MAX. Right now I'm not happy with it. It has an extreme amount of static. Every time the VID number changes it pops and crackles like static electricity, kind of like when electricity arcs between two poles. It is really bad in iron audio. I have dug up a quarter and a couple dimes and each time the static almost grounded out the tone. I wasn't sure what I was digging up thinking it may be trash.
Wishing now I had kept my ATP.

Sold my ATP and now playing with my MAX. Right now I'm not happy with it. It has an extreme amount of static. Every time the VID number changes it pops and crackles like static electricity, kind of like when electricity arcs between two poles. It is really bad in iron audio. I have dug up a quarter and a couple dimes and each time the static almost grounded out the tone. I wasn't sure what I was digging up thinking it may be trash.

Have you tried changing the channel frequency? I hunted with a buddy the other day who had an AT Pro also and our detectors were interfering with each other until we changed channels, but there could be interference with surrounding items and 1 detector.

The tones are scratchy like the AT Gold. Those used to AT Pro will have an adjustment for sure. Its more like an AT Gold on a different frequency than an AT Pro. That being said, tones should be scratchy on the edge not drowning out the entire high tone. So may be something else involved.

The tones are scratchy like the AT Gold. Those used to AT Pro will have an adjustment for sure. I'm more like an AT Gold on a different frequency than an AT Pro. That being said, tones should be scratchy on the edge not drowning out the entire high tone. So may be something else involved.

This man ^ knows his stuff! He's a PRO!

Just got my AT Max

I have been detecting alone. No other detectors close by. I tried changing sensitivity down to 1 to finally quiet it and that worked but I lost a lot of depth.
If this crackling is normal it will take a lot of getting used to. I am taking it to an experienced friend to see what he thinks. I wish there was another Max owner here to compare detectors. I know my ATP was silent between beeps.

I have been detecting alone. No other detectors close by. I tried changing sensitivity down to 1 to finally quiet it and that worked but I lost a lot of depth.
If this crackling is normal it will take a lot of getting used to. I am taking it to an experienced friend to see what he thinks. I wish there was another Max owner here to compare detectors. I know my ATP was silent between beeps.

try using iron disc of 35. will cut off some of that crackle. then turn iron audio on and off when checking targets for big iron/bottle caps/etc.

If its that bad, Call Garrett and discuss it with them. Ive got one and the only issue Ive had was first day. Non fully charged headset it kept Un-linking and I had to keep re-linking it. Since then Ive kept it fully charged for every hunt and zero issues.

I I know my ATP was silent between beeps.

Standard mode, or pro mode....because huge difference in the audio...

When I run my ATP in pro, if its quiet, something is off, like the power switch..

<°)))>{

Standard mode, or pro mode....because huge difference in the audio...

When I run my ATP in pro, if its quiet, something is off, like the power switch..

<°)))>{

Ain't that the truth, the first 5-10 minutes or most of my hunts are just trying to find a foot square patch of dirt quiet enough to ground balance.

Back
Top Bottom