do I need a permit to metal detect on a lake?

juit

Elite Member
I have near me sugar lake, a lot of people loose stuff, do I need a permit?

You are from Roma, Texas, right ? And that's right on the border of Mexico. And I see , from the map, that this "sugar lake" you speak of , is on the Mexico side of the border.

And in Mexico there is no all-reaching border-to-border type laws about metal detecting (fumble fingers caliber stuff anyhow). As long as you're not on sensitive historic monuments. Thus metal detectors are a common site on all the mexican tourist beaches. I would assume the in-land lakes would be no different.

and knowing Mexico: they have bigger problems on their plate, than to dream up a "permit" for detecting at a lake! If there's a list of rules listed there , for whatever entity administers that lake . Like do they even have a 'park's dept' down there? Or is it simply maintained by the various fishing resorts I see listed as being there.

If you see nothing that says "no metal detecting" and see nothing that says "permit required", you are probably over-thinking it. If you can go there and fish and swim (as it appears you say is already popular draw), then just go.

It will be on US side not Mex, maybe i should ask a warden just in case right? I was over thinking it because of the electrical water dam and sinceits like federal ground

It will be on US side not Mex,...

Really ? The map seems to show the entire lake on the Mexican side of the border. Oh well.

... maybe i should ask a warden just in case right? ....

And what would that "warden" base his answer on ? Actual citation of a rule or law ? Or would he just be giving his personal whim ? I'm guessing that you're thinking he'll base his answer on some sort of chapter and verse that actually refers to a "permit" (since that was your original concern). Or if he says "no to any detecting", then ... no doubt.... he's couching that answer in terms of some actual rule or law that actually SAID such a thing. Right ?

Ok, then if that's the case, why can't you look up rules/laws for yourself ? If you see nothing that says "no md'ing", and don't see anything about a "permit", then what's there to ask about ?

Because the problem with asking a warden, is that you might run afoul of the "safe answer" psychology. Perhaps he thinks you'll harm earthworms. Or perhaps he dreams up (to address the "pressing question"), that it fall afoul of verbiage re.: collect / harvest / take , etc... ? And in each case, perhaps he would never have even given the matter a moment's thought.

Just look it up for yourself.

Hahahahahaha, earthworms, ill try to look for mi self prolly un public webpage and try to call them

Back
Top Bottom