Some guys just give us a bad rap!

Darktower007

Forum Supporter
So my sister in law lives in a really old neighborhood in Chattanooga and on Facebook a guy posted that two guys asked to hunt his yard. He agreed and said he wanted to see what they found when they were done. Well.. they made a big ole mess and just left! Now the neighborhood Facebook group is blowing up telling what they did and for everyone run them metal detectors off if they come back!! Really?
You would think they would abide by the logical rules leave it as you found it and be overly gracious and thank them. Nope they ruined it for the future[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you...but the way so many people are today, its me, me, me, its all about ME!
I would dare to bet those 'guys' dug up and probably found some interesting artifacts, and just left. But even if they didn't find anything but garbage, they should have done the right thing and fixed their holes.
Problem is, that those people and many more, just had their fun, got what they wanted and left. Because it was all about them. Very sad to me. Because metal detectorists don't need any more bad publicity than we've already got! I've encountered a few people that were so negative about the hobby, that they swore they'd never let anybody dig up their yard. One guy even went to describe us as a whole, as, "ain't going to let nobody dig up my yard like a hog".
Needless to say, I didn't get to do any MDing there! But I thanked him and asked if he ever changed his mind, I would be very neat and take care of it like it were my own. Maybe one day.

Scott

I have lost THREE permissions that I had recently due to unethical detectorists... one of them because a guy goes places without asking permission, and lost me a permission with a historical society in another state because he just took it upon himself to detect THEIR property!:mad: They emailed me and told me since I detected it without them there, I lost my permission... obviously I said it wasn't me, but they weren't hearing it! I know who it was, and it sucks when their lack of ethics cost me several future hunts with that historical society

Then, a fellow member and I had permission at an local old campgrounds, some einstein decided to detect there andleft holes everywhere and didn't fill his holes, now, the gate is locked and we lost our permission:mad:

Jerr-man and I had a killer 1800s fairgrounds permission, again, someone snuck on the property, didnt fill their holes, and lost our permission for us:mad:

I've quickly learned that people only care about themselves and their immediate satisfaction, regardless how it affects other detectorists.

Believe it or not, there are few unethical detectorists on this forum.
Some have even gone so far as to give examples of the deceitful tactics they employ in order to cheat on agreements they made with the people who gave them permission to detect. Sad. Sad, but true.

Believe it or not, there are few unethical detectorists on this forum.
Some have even gone so far as to give examples of the deceitful tactics they employ in order to cheat on agreements they made with the people who gave them permission to detect. Sad. Sad, but true.

Or advise others how to sneak on properties, but I better back away from this because the consensus here is "so what?"

Bothers me immensely for the reasons mentioned in my post above...

Or advise others how to sneak on properties, but I better back away from this because the consensus here is "so what?"

Bothers me immensely for the reasons mentioned in my post above...

It would me too! I mean it's one thing if your a kid slipping into fish a neighbors pond.. hutt hmmm. I was 14 when I did that lol but as you get older, 35 now your learn right from wrong and wait for it.. RESPECT!

So my sister in law lives in a really old neighborhood in Chattanooga and on Facebook a guy posted that two guys asked to hunt his yard. He agreed and said he wanted to see what they found when they were done. Well.. they made a big ole mess and just left! Now the neighborhood Facebook group is blowing up telling what they did and for everyone run them metal detectors off if they come back!! Really?
You would think they would abide by the logical rules leave it as you found it and be overly gracious and thank them. Nope they ruined it for the future[emoji23][emoji23]

If they know their names.. someone needs to post them on facebook and not to allow them to search their property. State that most detectorist are responsible, with ethics and won't damage your property..

It would me too! I mean it's one thing if your a kid slipping into fish a neighbors pond.. hutt hmmm. I was 14 when I did that lol but as you get older, 35 now your learn right from wrong and wait for it.. RESPECT!

I don't let anyone deer hunt, turkey hunt or coyote hunt anymore. Some people are such liars.

That is really sad and gets me kinda angry. Here I am a new mder trying to learn the proper way to dig plugs so I can ask permission. Just plain wrong!
Jdfun

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Yup with almost every neighborhood having a Facebook group word spreads quick. We have one with 700 members! Even strange cars get followed by neighbors. Word spreads quick now days

I would suggest that you contact the wronged landowners and tell them that even though it wasn't you, you would like to repair the damage. This might give them a moment to reconsider and possibly change their attitude towards all metal detectorists.

I have done this on two different occasions. I brought in potting mix and grass plugs and repaired the damage. I then gave them my business card and a copy of our code of ethics and apologized. One homeowner said nothing and went in their house, obviously angry. The second, thanked me and we started talking about the jerks in the world. I was careful not to ask for permission but as I was preparing to leave, they told me I could come back and hunt their property. I asked when would be best for them and after hunting I asked them to inspect their property and they were happy. I understand they told their neighbors about me and I received a call a week later, inviting me to hunt a property two lots away.

I would suggest that you contact the wronged landowners and tell them that even though it wasn't you, you would like to repair the damage. This might give them a moment to reconsider and possibly change their attitude towards all metal detectorists.

I have done this on two different occasions. I brought in potting mix and grass plugs and repaired the damage. I then gave them my business card and a copy of our code of ethics and apologized. One homeowner said nothing and went in their house, obviously angry. The second, thanked me and we started talking about the jerks in the world. I was careful not to ask for permission but as I was preparing to leave, they told me I could come back and hunt their property. I asked when would be best for them and after hunting I asked them to inspect their property and they were happy. I understand they told their neighbors about me and I received a call a week later, inviting me to hunt a property two lots away.

Good idea! My wife told me about it from her sister and said they drove off in a white Toyota. She said was it you!![emoji33] I was like oh no she did nat! I told her I would NEVER take advantage of someone's generosity. Most homes were built in the 1920's. (Digressing here) We lived there for about a year in between houses. It's on the edge of the ghetto. A decade ago I lived one street over and my house was cleaned out during broad daylight while I was out on my beat up boat fishing! They used a dang box truck! They are Leary for good reason over there but this does anger me. I may go swing in her yard and find out where he lives apologize and tell him the truth most of us act professionally.

sad sad state of affairs when people cannot respect other peoples property. seems to be the new way of thinking though, I saw a video where this kid was outraged because the landowner called the cops on him the second time he trespassed to fish the guys pond, the first time he was told to leave nicely, yet he came back that same week without getting permission and did it again, and thought the landowner was in the wrong for calling the cops, even this kids idiot parents were there saying their kid didn't do anything wrong. uh, WTH, if it's not yours ask permission and respect the answer, how hard is that.

This thread could have been posted on a hunting or fishing forum, just as easily as here. There are fishermen, and hunters, and there are also poachers. Just because you layer out the cash for a detector does not make you a detectorist. If you trespass, or otherwise swindle legitimate landowners out of their (earthbound) possessions, you are a poacher. It's a code of conduct that separates us from them. If too many poachers ruin it, there will be laws and regulations created, just like for hunting and fishing. E either police ourselves, through appropriate means, or others will do it for us.

I plan on going by the owners house soon to apologize for their stupidity. I don't know the guy but our reputation is important.

Maybe, if you do decide to hunt in that neighbour and you've got the feeling they won't let you, you could give them a business card with your details on to show you're genuine and that you won't come to ruin their yard.

Just an idea

These type stories are exactly why it is almost impossible to get permission for hunting/fishing any more. ..

Back
Top Bottom