Gold Country newbi

Dr Doom

Hello to all. I am new to this and it is difficult trying to figure the MD out. I like to prospect and pan for gold but I bought a MD for when I run across tailings and mine's. I am not sure I bought the correct one. I bought a White's classic 5ID from KellyCo.

Until we meet again..............good night Alice!

hi dr.,

i live in las vegas and belong to a prospecting club in vegas. i do not know much about brands other then garrett. but the guys in my club all own whites. of course none of the guys ever use them:?:. i am the only one in my prospecting club i know who actually uses their detector to find anything.

whites seem like they are fine detectors. they are hands down most popular among hobby prospectors i know. i don't know whites product line.

i have never found gold with a detector before. however i know that people do gold with them and pro'lly with all brands.

garrett has a detector that is called the "Scorpion Gold Stinger" (sgs) that is optimized to search for gold. the sgs is a vlf detector.

tesoro might be a good brand for specialty gold detectors too.

you need a detector that can detect small objects to look for gold.

there is a guy here called tabdog and he seems to find allot of gold with the sgs. tabdog finds gold in ark. not the beach like most people. unless you want a detector to take to the beach try to ask tabdog what to do.

click on his avitar from one of his threads and send him a personal message or perhaps he will pick up this thread on his own. i would love to hear his opinion on this subject.

perhaps the best way to augment gold prospecing with a metal detector is to look for veins with the detector. and then pan or drywash that area identified as having gold by the detector.

not to just look for placer.

that would be an issue of learning to use the detector pretty good regardless of brand.

pro'lly why guys in my prospecting club don't use them but have them.

Welcome to the forum!

Did you talk with Kellyco about what you wanted to find before you bought that machine?

Gold machines are different. They operate at much higher frequencies. (I'm not saying your machine won't find gold nuggets, but I don't think it's specialized for gold.)

The White's MXT has a prospecting mode. The Fisher Goldbug II has an operating frequency around 60 khz - much better for finding tiny pieces of gold. Minelab makes very expensive gold detectors, yet you might do OK with one of their not-so-expensive models - like an X-Terra with an 18 kbz DD coil or even a Minelab Sovereign. Tesoro makes the LOBO Super TRAQ for prospecting.

Good luck. If you're having fun, you're doing things right.

Welcome aboard Dr..... after all that, you may need an aspirin. White's makes the GMT for gold and also, the new (very new) TDI, which is a pulse induction unit that is having big success on gold in Alaska. RickO

Welcome to the forum.
Wish I could help with your situation but I don't do any prospecting... just detecting. Good luck, though.

Welcome From California Too!!!

Welcome to the forum. We belong to a prospecting club with several claims and enjoy finding gold the "easy way" too.:lol::lol::lol:

You'll like it here. There are many experienced folks on the forum and we all like pictures and stories. Glad to have you aboard.

ALRIGHT!!! The Doctor is in the house!!:D Is this who I think it is??!? :?: Glad you decided to register old friend! :yes::cool: Lots of great people here!

Back
Top Bottom