Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Caches, Old Bottles, and other Treasures

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2017, 07:25 AM
X-Terra70's Avatar
X-Terra70 X-Terra70 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,916
Default 26.78g of 96% pure gold!

I've just come back from a two week long holiday (mostly detecting), so here are all my goods finds.

The first few days were spent with the family in a small seaside town called 'Kalbarri', where I did a little of bit clad hunting in the local parks and playgrounds, and also found four old coins (two of which silver) on an old demo-house site. Other finds included a silver ring and pendant, and also about $64 in change.

The next week was spent gold prospecting in the Western Australian goldfields. All up, I found 26.78g in nuggets (83 nuggets) with the GP Extreme and the GPX 7000. I didn't find as much as last year (36.2g), but it's good to find what you've missed last time. As usual, dad found more gold weight than me, but he found less nuggets than I did. (His biggest was 4.8g, mine was 0.96g.)

I also tried my luck for some old coins by the nearby homestead (built in 1896), but didn't find any this time. But I noticed that the combined audio option on the CTX makes it really easy to look out for those high tone targets in trashy spots (the amount of nails and wire on this site is mind-blowing!)

On the way home, I also hit some more parks and playgrounds, and found another $50 in coins, as well as a silver anklet. I also found two of your US pennies (both on the same day actually!). One is a 1960 and the other a 2006D. They didn't sound the same so I'm guessing they have different metal compositions, but I like finding 'foreign' coins. You guys may hate finding those pennies, but I don't .

Overall, it was a very successful trip for me with over $113 in coins, 26.78g of gold, a few silver items and some old coins.
Attached Images
        

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1203.06AUD (443x$2, 204x$1, 60x50c, 180x20c, 263x10c, 354x5c, 87x2c, 132x1c) and 56 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 10-07-2017, 09:59 AM
BBsGal's Avatar
BBsGal BBsGal is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern Oklahoma
Posts: 3,459
Default

Nice chunky gold there, bet that was fun! Our US pennies up until 1982 or 83 were more copper, now they're lousy zinc, there's the different tones. Congrats on all the goodies, you really cleaned up!

__________________
CTX-3030, F2, F44, GPP, XP. Since 01/2014. 2892 Clad Coins, 14 Silver Coins, 1 War Nickel, 1 Buff, 56 Wheats, 2 Foreign Coins. Oldest: 1879 Morgan, 1909 Wheat, 2 Sterling Rings, 1 Gold Ring, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 10-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Dragonfire's Avatar
Dragonfire Dragonfire is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 1,468
Default

Outstanding !!

__________________
I get along with the voices inside of my head

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 10-07-2017, 11:15 AM
CaveCitySlayer's Avatar
CaveCitySlayer CaveCitySlayer is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Calaveras County
Posts: 214
Default

Originally Posted by X-Terra70 View post
I've just come back from a two week long holiday (mostly detecting), so here are all my goods finds.



The first few days were spent with the family in a small seaside town called 'Kalbarri', where I did a little of bit clad hunting in the local parks and playgrounds, and also found four old coins (two of which silver) on an old demo-house site. Other finds included a silver ring and pendant, and also about $64 in change.



The next week was spent gold prospecting in the Western Australian goldfields. All up, I found 26.78g in nuggets (83 nuggets) with the GP Extreme and the GPX 7000. I didn't find as much as last year (36.2g), but it's good to find what you've missed last time. As usual, dad found more gold weight than me, but he found less nuggets than I did. (His biggest was 4.8g, mine was 0.96g.)



I also tried my luck for some old coins by the nearby homestead (built in 1896), but didn't find any this time. But I noticed that the combined audio option on the CTX makes it really easy to look out for those high tone targets in trashy spots (the amount of nails and wire on this site is mind-blowing!)



On the way home, I also hit some more parks and playgrounds, and found another $50 in coins, as well as a silver anklet. I also found two of your US pennies (both on the same day actually!). One is a 1960 and the other a 2006D. They didn't sound the same so I'm guessing they have different metal compositions, but I like finding 'foreign' coins. You guys may hate finding those pennies, but I don't .



Overall, it was a very successful trip for me with over $113 in coins, 26.78g of gold, a few silver items and some old coins.


The US copper pennies were until 1982 and are worth around 2 cents US now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 10-07-2017, 04:55 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca.
Posts: 7,758
Thumbs up

those lousy zinc pennies sound lousy.
The copper ones sound solid.
Congrats on the gold nuggets!

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro,Ace 250.Minelab Sov Elite! Soon enough Minelab Equinox!!!!
They can have my metal detector when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!Arrrr! John 14:6.

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 10-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Princess's Avatar
Princess Princess is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 121
Default

Welcome back, X-Terra! Great finds - congrats on the gold.

__________________

Romans 10:9,10
2017 clad: 109 coins ($7.18) ~ Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny
Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 10-07-2017, 06:58 PM
X-Terra70's Avatar
X-Terra70 X-Terra70 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,916
Default

Originally Posted by BBsGal View post
Nice chunky gold there, bet that was fun! Our US pennies up until 1982 or 83 were more copper, now they're lousy zinc, there's the different tones. Congrats on all the goodies, you really cleaned up!
Thanks BBs!

Originally Posted by Dragonfire View post
Outstanding !!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by CaveCitySlayer View post
The US copper pennies were until 1982 and are worth around 2 cents US now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
those lousy zinc pennies sound lousy.
The copper ones sound solid.
Congrats on the gold nuggets!
Thank you! The 1960 definitely sounded much better than the 2006.

Originally Posted by Princess View post
Welcome back, X-Terra! Great finds - congrats on the gold.
Thanks Princess!

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1203.06AUD (443x$2, 204x$1, 60x50c, 180x20c, 263x10c, 354x5c, 87x2c, 132x1c) and 56 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 10-08-2017, 06:42 AM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 8,426
Default

OH Man! Now there you are Living the Dream! Very great work on a multitude of skills within this Sport! So your Father detects as well? I bet he has some stories!

Well, we sure appreciate your hunts and pics of places we will never get a chance to see in person! Nice work all around there XT!

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #9  
Old 10-08-2017, 09:19 AM
X-Terra70's Avatar
X-Terra70 X-Terra70 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,916
Default

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
OH Man! Now there you are Living the Dream! Very great work on a multitude of skills within this Sport! So your Father detects as well? I bet he has some stories!

Well, we sure appreciate your hunts and pics of places we will never get a chance to see in person! Nice work all around there XT!
Thanks Mud! Yes, my father detects as well. He actually introduced me to the hobby when I was five, and for my ninth birthday I got given my own detector. He has quite a few stories, from back when he first came to Australia to give gold prospecting a try, to a few years back when he revisited older grounds.

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1203.06AUD (443x$2, 204x$1, 60x50c, 180x20c, 263x10c, 354x5c, 87x2c, 132x1c) and 56 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 10-08-2017, 11:47 AM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Worcester County, MA
Posts: 8,413
Default

Awesome day!!!

__________________
☆ML Etrac 2017☆
*W-476~IH-55~2CP-6~LC-10~HC-2*
•Silva-102~Ster-29~Halfs-4•
☆2-Shield~15-V's~18-Buff☆

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 10-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Skippy SH13's Avatar
Skippy SH13 Skippy SH13 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,506
Default

Originally Posted by CaveCitySlayer View post
The US copper pennies were until 1982 and are worth around 2 cents US now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, they're still worth 1 cent. *laughs*
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 10-08-2017, 07:22 PM
CaveCitySlayer's Avatar
CaveCitySlayer CaveCitySlayer is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Calaveras County
Posts: 214
Default

Originally Posted by Skippy SH13 View post
Actually, they're still worth 1 cent. *laughs*


Not if you’re a tweeker and melt them down!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #13  
Old 10-08-2017, 10:09 PM
X-Terra70's Avatar
X-Terra70 X-Terra70 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,916
Default

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Awesome day!!!
Thank you!

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1203.06AUD (443x$2, 204x$1, 60x50c, 180x20c, 263x10c, 354x5c, 87x2c, 132x1c) and 56 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 10-14-2017, 10:08 PM
towzilla's Avatar
towzilla towzilla is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KANSAS
Posts: 1,500
Default

Fantastic!! Love it.

__________________
Omega 8000, 2 Silver Dollars 1904/1923, Oldest coins 1835/1853 Large cents, 1864 IH, 1872/1891 Seated dimes. Best find 1872 US belt buckle 15 Gold rings

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 PM
X-Terra70's Avatar
X-Terra70 X-Terra70 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,916
Default

Originally Posted by towzilla View post
Fantastic!! Love it.
Thanks mate!

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1203.06AUD (443x$2, 204x$1, 60x50c, 180x20c, 263x10c, 354x5c, 87x2c, 132x1c) and 56 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 10-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Jak's Avatar
Jak Jak is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montgomery County, PA
Posts: 1,204
Default

Well done with all your many great finds!

__________________
Nothing fancy here...Tesero Tejon, Whites's TRX pinpointer, Ultimate Gray Ghost headphones, Lesche digger

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 10-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Jamflicker's Avatar
Jamflicker Jamflicker is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,378
Default

Awesome group of finds, congrats!

__________________
Etrac Totals since 12/27/10 (2017) - Clad: $2839.92 ($221.50), Silver Coins: 1393 (135), Wheats: 6116 (681), .925: 238 (24), Oldest Coins: 1814 Large Cent, 1860 1/4 Real, 1888 Seated Quarter

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 10-19-2017, 02:40 PM
T-Man's Avatar
T-Man T-Man is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hamilton OH
Posts: 1,891
Default

Looks like you had blast. I would love to give propecting a go sometime. I love the few gold rings I've found but nuggets are just awesome.
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 10-20-2017, 02:59 AM
X-Terra70's Avatar
X-Terra70 X-Terra70 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,916
Default

Originally Posted by Jak View post
Well done with all your many great finds!
Thanks Jak!

Originally Posted by Jamflicker View post
Awesome group of finds, congrats!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by T-Man View post
Looks like you had blast. I would love to give propecting a go sometime. I love the few gold rings I've found but nuggets are just awesome.
Thanks! It was a good trip!

__________________

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1203.06AUD (443x$2, 204x$1, 60x50c, 180x20c, 263x10c, 354x5c, 87x2c, 132x1c) and 56 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.