Detecting in a cave

nontypical

Anyone ever done any detecting in a cave. Some friends and I are going in a cave this weekend in southern Illinois thats in the Shawnee National Forest. Wondering if I should go to the trouble to pack my metal detector in there with me or not.

you'd be surprised what might be in there... many a transient have probably stayed there over time... and if there is any indian history in your area...you'd be they knew where it was.

Which cave are you going to hunt. I am from Southern Illinois and have been in most caves in the Shawnee National Forest?

sounds like a god idea! make sure its legal first...not sure about detecting at Shawnee. its a pretty place tho.

Always worth a try and even if there's a ban on detecting inside (as there often is in Europe) caves have attracted people for generations so there may be lots of finds on the route to the cave and always check round the nearest water source.

Which cave are you going to hunt. I am from Southern Illinois and have been in most caves in the Shawnee National Forest?

The cave is around a small town called Ava which is west of Carbondale. I've never been there before so I don't know what to expect.

The cave is around a small town called Ava which is west of Carbondale. I've never been there before so I don't know what to expect.
Perhaps it is salt peter cave. A very popular hangout for the SIU university college crowd. I been to a few concerts there back in the day....................

Definitely worth a try...

I have a couple around here that I plan to check this summer.
Let us know how you make out and be careful.
Marty

Back
Top Bottom