• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ID help. Possible military items

TrailDuster

I don't remember exactly where I dug these. It may have been the old VFW site I've been frequenting that dates back to late 1800's/ early 1900's then relocated.

The ball looks like a Canadian Artillery piece but it says New York and I believe VALLIEN or HVALLIEN with an infinity symbol.

The other is a button but I don't know the order in which to read the initials.

Either way having a hard time googling or ebay searching the items to ID them myself and I don't have the experience with militaria.

buttons 2 by dragonhockey7, on Flickr

buttons 1 by dragonhockey7, on Flickr

Your button on the right is a GAR button. That is for the Grand Army of the Republic. It is a Union soldier's reunion button. Your button on the right is called a ball button. They could go back to the civil war but I don't think yours does. They would be used on several different things so it's hard to say exactly what it is. I haven't been able to ID that backmark yet.

I think I have found your backmark. It is H. V. Allien. They made buttons between 1877 to 1948. According to the book "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" they have this to say: Henry V. Allien & Co, NYC, 7 Bond St., 1877-1948. Allien was the son of French naval officer in Haiti & a friend of Horstmann Sr. He joined the NY branch of Horstmann in 1850 on the termination of Horstmann's relationship with Augustus Drucker. Horstmann Bros. & Allien ended in Jan. 4 1877 & Allien Continued on alone.

Your button on the right is a GAR button. That is for the Grand Army of the Republic. It is a Union soldier's reunion button. Your button on the right is called a ball button. They could go back to the civil war but I don't think yours does. They would be used on several different things so it's hard to say exactly what it is. I haven't been able to ID that backmark yet.

I think I have found your backmark. It is H. V. Allien. They made buttons between 1877 to 1948. According to the book "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" they have this to say: Henry V. Allien & Co, NYC, 7 Bond St., 1877-1948. Allien was the son of French naval officer in Haiti & a friend of Horstmann Sr. He joined the NY branch of Horstmann in 1850 on the termination of Horstmann's relationship with Augustus Drucker. Horstmann Bros. & Allien ended in Jan. 4 1877 & Allien Continued on alone.

Awesome. Thank you so much for the info and time to research that for me. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom