If you had $1500.00 what to buy ???

Astronut

Well if you had $1500.00 what would be your first choice and what would be you second choice to buy and why? That amount of money should give good choices for detectors available in todays market.

Thanks Bill

an equinox . I can't believe I am the first to say that.
My second choice would be a Rutus Alter 71.

They should handle mineralized soil for you.

Equinox and an older FBS detector used. Like Etrac, explorer 2, se pro.
Covers a lot of bases.
One smaller coil for each.
Then you can go about anywhere and have fun.

1. Excalibur (used)
2. Equinox (I'm willing to give this machine a second chance), and a pinpointer with the left over money.

No one has asked, are you a beach hunter, water hunter or dirt hunter?

It's in the stars ! His signature says it all. It is not Aquanut, it's Astronut, he will be detecting by using the tropical zodiac, which is aligned to the equinoctial points, thus makes perfect sense to choose the Equinox....

It's in the stars I tell you......

I’m in the exact same boat (or capsule) as you.
Since my main goal is to find just one Reale, but I’d also like to find modern jewelry to pay for the hobby, I think I’ve settled on these two.

Equinox 800 and the Whites Duel Field
My beaches are pretty clean so I’m hoping the Dual Field will get me deep enough to find one that others have passed and then the Equinox will help me look for recent drops by where all the people are and on land hunts.

Last edited:
There is a huge used / like new market for metal detectors. Whatever you choose to go with, look at the classifieds. Great deals!!

An errant $1500 burning a hole in my pocket?? If I had to start all over in this sport, after all these years of dedicated hunting and knowing what I know now?

Hmmmmm...OK! I'd buy a nice used F70, a rasher of Sams Club 48 pack of DubbleA's, a $1 nail apron, a brand new $2 screwdriver, some loose fitting $4 khakis from Goodwill, top off my tank, a $1 jar of dry roasted Dollar Store peanuts, and then treat myself to a Burger King Breakfast...! Then I'd whack clad and totters like Billy-Be-Cursed!

I'd wisely invest the left over $1000 on scratchoffs, smokes and beer! So yeah..pretty much standard Mudpup operating format...:laughing:

Well if you had $1500.00 what would be your first choice and what would be you second choice to buy and why? That amount of money should give good choices for detectors available in todays market.

Thanks Bill

If you plan on hunting salt water beaches, begin by reading this thread on competent beach machines. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248905

Next, buy a few books by Gary Drayton or Clive James Clynick. Learning swing techniques, settings, and how to read the ground conditions is equally if not more important than buying a good machine.

Any specific questions.... just ask!

For my type sites, i'd probably stick with my Signum for sheer depth on specific targets, mainly silver hammered.
But i'm also in the market for an all purpose machine, with top 3d abilities to take the place of the RA71, so i'm watching the Nox 800 very closely.
Probably broke the 1500 budget though!!!

Thanks Bill

That is a very open ended question. First we would have to know what you want to do with your machines and where you want to hunt to give any sort direction to look into for the answer.

I would look into a Nokta Impact and a Deeptech unit myself.

All types of hunting covered, as well as a relic-hunting powerhouse.

Depends on where your from, if NOT in MA, I just saw a CTX sell for under 1500.00...if your IN MA...I think a bounty hunter JR would suffice :laughing:FBS/FBS 2 is a proven performer for deep ocean goods... Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom