Losing Interest -- Here Are My Finds For The Last Two Trips!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
There is NOTHING to be found around here -- unless you like trash! This is the sum total for 4 hours hunting on two trips! Had EXCELLENT signals each time! The 2 pennies (upper left) were from TODAY -- both are copper (1964, 1971); square item (lower left) is part of a compact -- no markings; the pile of trash in the center was from today all giving EXCELLENT signals; the pull tabs (upper right) were from a few days ago (17 of them and the only GOLD I got was one of them was gold colored :mad:); the zincolns (lower right) were also from a few days ago (17 of them -- NO COPPER IN THE BUNCH). I need some new areas -- out of this town! It is BORING here! Not worth the trip to go out. When I do find clad -- that is becoming a rarity! Only hope I might have is after the fair this fall!

Took the time to buy and learn my EXPENSIVE ATPro! I should have stuck with the el-cheapo Compadre -- it does better! I found a LOT more neat stuff with it.

Thanks for looking -- but not worth it! GL & HH!

Attachments

• Recent MD Finds March-April 2016.jpg
    Recent MD Finds March-April 2016.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 463
Yikes!!! You should start knocking on some doors to get permission on private property instead of hitting public area.

Don't give up. Sounds to me your digging too many shallow targets and not listening to those deep faint signals where the oldies usually are.

If you're finding pull tabs that means that people have been in the area. People lose rings! Keep swinging. I know what you mean about the Compadre. Maybe you should start knocking on some doors. Most people say yes when you ask for permission to detect their yard if you go about it correctly. Good Luck!

beephead

Yikes!!! You should start knocking on some doors to get permission on private property instead of hitting public area.

Won't do any good to knock on doors here. Everyone and his brother/sister have detectors and there's a couple guys who have cart blanc (sp) permission to dig anywhere in the city/county that is historical -- except the state park (who knows -- maybe they can dig there too) and they turn in all historical finds to the local museums here! They have etracs and ctx 3030s etc. VERY EXPENSIVE UNITS! :mad: And if you are on some property someone invariably says these two guys have already been here and you won't find anything! And there's a couple guys who come here from about 35 miles away to dig in the local city park! I saw them one time and one of them doesn't dig the pennies. I don't know what unit he has but it is expensive from the looks of it!

Find some farm fields that once had activity on them and secure permission for the fall and winter. You can hunt them for years and the plow should bring up good stuff from time to time. More likely to get a yes for a field permission. Not much modern trash in them either

I agree, don't quit, get talking to people - it works well for me. I look for the older areas to search.

Hey some times it's like that. I had a week of skunking followed by a week of gold finds. It happens and we all go through it. Just gotta work through it.

Don't take this personally but based on what you are saying and what the picture shows you are just not familiar yet with the language of the AT pro. As for the pulltabs , you just have to dig them like crazy if you want gold , that's unavoidable. Many silver coins and even some gold rings can read like pennies sometimes , so digging pennies may be frustrating but digging them can pay off , though I personally seldom dig shallow penny signals since I accept a slight risk of missing something good for more time digging the more likely good targets. The scrap trash in the picture , while good to remove from the ground so you can get to any good deeper target beneath them , should have been identified by the ATP as probable trash and in many cases can be avoided. You are getting some good training with the ATP though , its normal to have some hunts like you are describing before the epiphony's start and its language makes more sense. It can take some time to learn the ATP language.

The other factor may just be that you are hunting the wrong sites. The ATP is more than capable , but it still wont find anything that isn't there to begin with. Many sites that look like they should be productive just in reality aren't. Its not the detectors fault , some new or different sites are in order.

Don't give up, sometimes the hunting is rough. Just because the guys with the more expensive units have hunted doesn't mean it is hunted out. Hang in there.

Door knocking is the answer to heavily hunted public ground. That AT Pro will get the goods, but the goods have to be there...

Keep at it and you'll score.

Do the research and find places that are no longer there or that are obscure to the average guy with a detector! I have a field that has gives up great finds regularly,,,,,,as long as the bull is elsewhere!

Don't worry about what other guys are swinging, expensive or cheap machine, it doesn't matter as much as one might think, yes they are nice to own and can give you a edge over the lower end units, but not that big of one. A guy that knows his 200-300 dollar machine and has swung it for thousands of hours of detecting will straight out whoop up on a newby with a brand new 2,000 dollar machine. AND no metal detector finds everything, some of the pro's here have high dollar machines and return to the same area over and over and pull out stuff they missed the first 30 times they hunted it. Don't give up, just try working it from a different angle, curb strips are public property, I have pulled old silver from curbstrips that have been hunted to death by guys with pricy machines, and did it with a 180 dollar coinmaster. Don't just head out the door with your detector, do a little research and find some promising areas, areas that should hold some good stuff, and expect to find something good when you do go out swinging (confidence). dig some of those iffy signals, they have paid off for me big time before.learn your machine well and have confidence in your knowledge and ability, and remember that this is still at the end of the day a game of chance and that the more time you spend swinging and learning the better your chances of hitting a big jackpot are. if people have been there they have lost stuff there, the more human traffic an area has had, the more possible targets there will be for you to find, you just gotta put in the hours of research, learning,and swingtime.

I would consider that a great two hunts for me. My last five heated one zincoln and bucket of scrap. I'm still enjoying just changed my outlook on what I'm finding and looking for. Coins especially old ones can be real scarce in my neck of the woods.

Reminds me of the saying "That's why its called fishing and not catching." Its better than sitting on your posterior.

penny and nickel signals should yield some rings, eventually.
Or baptize that AT pro and water hunt.

No water here that I wish to go into! No beaches like FL! Only creeks around me and two of them are "attached" to a state park -- so no detecting there.

Back
Top Bottom