Cut Spanish 8 Reale

Seven

Forum Supporter
Today's hunt is back on one of my Colonial house sites along the Cumberland River which I have hunted hard over the past year. We had two days of rain, however, and the deeper iffy signals were a lot clearer. I found flat buttons, a top to an old oil lamp, and other relics, but the find of the day was my first cut Spanish 8 Reale. There was enough of the coin left that I could see the 8R on the reverse, and the last number of the date on the obverse. Researching how the lower right of the bust lined up with the A in GRACIA, I was able to identify the coin as a 1794 Carolus IV Reale.
All of the finds from these hunts are included in today’s YouTube hunt video. Please watch, like, subscribe, and share.

Today’s YouTube hunt video: EPISODE 65

Check out my YouTube Channel by clicking here: Diggin' with Seven

5336a793d5659e0cbb512718557d6d05.jpg

deb678a2885108397d7f93d19ab66c12.jpg

505220d133c2904038407a134e22afb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on finding some colonial silver!

Cut silver is so cool, imagine the history behind where that coin has been!

Very nice collection of finds right there!
Could you speculate as to how Spanish silver wound up in the middle of Kentucky?
River traders?

Very nice collection of finds right there!
Could you speculate as to how Spanish silver wound up in the middle of Kentucky?
River traders?

This is the third Reale from this site. We are working three Colonial sites along the river. These would be our first settlers in the late 1700s when land grants were given to pay Revolutionary War soldiers. Spanish silver was common currency.

It is great that you have a site that is so rich in history.:D Congratulations on the collection of artifacts, especially the cut Reale.:yes:

Looks like a 2 bit piece,, value was 25 cents.

Good find..

They were honored for currency up until a certain year in the Us.

Congrats..

Yours is not cut as cleanly as the one I have-- but I'd take it in a New York minute.

Should be some 1 bit pieces nearby.

Hard to find anything older than that Loy,, around here coin wise.
Will look good in your displays.

Cheers

Looks like a 2 bit piece,, value was 25 cents.

Good find..

They were honored for currency up until a certain year in the Us.

Congrats..

Yours is not cut as cleanly as the one I have-- but I'd take it in a New York minute.

Should be some 1 bit pieces nearby.

Hard to find anything older than that Loy,, around here coin wise.
Will look good in your displays.

Cheers

Thanks buddy. That makes three Reales from that site; two half-Reales and this cut 8. I've got three other Colonial sites I've worked in the county and none of them have produced a coin. Thanks for looking and commenting.

Enjoyed the video, Congrats on the great finds! I don't really have a bucketlist but if I did spanish silver would be right at the top.

Yeah this is the third Spanish from this site but my first 8 Reale; the other two are half-Reales. Thanks for commenting.

Thanks buddy. That makes three Reales from that site; two half-Reales and this cut 8. I've got three other Colonial sites I've worked in the county and none of them have produced a coin. Thanks for looking and commenting.

I would wager a bet,, in the site where you found the Spanish cut silver,,, a trading post or something similar was at or near.

The ones I found,, they too found in one general area. And I know for a fact,, a store or trading post was close to where I discovered mine.

Was there a lot of iron or nails in or near where you found yours???

Back
Top Bottom