can the fisher f2 detect gold

lynmachine

right now i have a next tech explorer
its cheap i know i only paid 50 for it just to start my hunting exp well i really enjoy it allot so im going to be buying the fisher f2 in aprox a month and start hunting with that but what im wondering is does it detect gold and at what depth and size does the gold object have to be to detect it i live in cape Breton nova scotia Canada and we have a clay like soil almost everywhere except the beaches any help would be great

also if you have another detector that does good in this type soil and does detect gold at the same cost approx 199.00 let me know

like i said im new to this and i hope i can get allot of help
thanks

also anyone else in cape Breton have good tips let me know

I think just about any detector can detect gold jewelry.

The difference between detectors starts showing when we start looking for very thin gold chains, very small gold items or small gold nuggets.

Metal detectors, do just that, detect metal. Unless it's a magnet for finding nails, it'll find any type of metal. Now, if you want it to just pick out gold, you probably are out of luck. Don't think even the best on the market can be that selective.

Here's what the $180 White's Coinmaster detector "air tested" on a 1.1 gram (Approx. 1/32 of a troy oz.) 10 karat gold child's ring. At maximum sensitivity it was hitting on the ring at 7 1/2" which is pretty impressive for what is considered an entry level detector. How deep that would translate into in-ground depth, I do not know but a ballpark figure would be 20 to 30% less than what it air tested at or probably at least 5". The ring was so small that it would only go on my little finger about 1/3 of an inch. Chances are that the F-2 would do at least as well as the Coinmaster did on that small of gold. An interesting side point was that on the Coinmaster the ring read exactly where it should have read ( foil / ring range )... On the Minelab XT-70 it read a lock solid ( 6 ) or where small gold rings and foil normally read on the XT-70.

Here's what the $180 White's Coinmaster detector "air tested" on a 1.1 gram (Approx. 1/32 of a troy oz.) 10 karat gold child's ring. At maximum sensitivity it was hitting on the ring at 7 1/2" which is pretty impressive for what is considered an entry level detector. How deep that would translate into in-ground depth, I do not know but a ballpark figure would be 20 to 30% less than what it air tested at or probably at least 5". The ring was so small that it would only go on my little finger about 1/3 of an inch. Chances are that the F-2 would do at least as well as the Coinmaster did on that small of gold. An interesting side point was that on the Coinmaster the ring read exactly where it should have read ( foil / ring range )... On the XT-70 it read a lock solid "6" or where small gold rings and foil normally read on the XT-70.

Sweet I love to hear that because I own a coinmaster :lol:

wow thanks that helps ya i dont plan on just looking for gold i wanna find old coins and relics but i wanna be able to sell any gold and silver except coins of course to keep the hobby afloat with the purchase of the detector and another coil it may take time but hay lots of input so what are your thoughts of the f2 for a first detector a freand wants to buy the garret at gold 600 dollar detector for his first he only wants to look for gold! lol

thanks

I have had my F2 for exactly one month and I found my very first gold on Tuesday. It was a small pendant, but it was gold.

Well I guess I will have to say yes to this. Ironic this thread here today. Been working this old park that has lots of wheaties. Found out this park was an old army camp. This newbie with a F2 was detecting there today. He has been there a few times. Comes running up to me today and I figured he found a Morgan or something cool. I almost had to change my underwear. He hands me a 1855 $10 gold coin.:shock: I couldn't believe it. He said it came up as zinc and he almost didn't dig it. WOW!! Get this, he said it was an inch deep. Well I'm happy for him. That's what keeps this hobby going. So all of you that disc. out zinc better be carefull. Don't know what it is untill you dig it.

got this gold with the f2 and its big. the pendant hit 42 on the vdi before i dug the target. it wasn't a slammin hit or did i think i had juice. sorry i had to say that from the tv show. here's the find 14k gold 37.8 grams

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2,609
got this gold with the f2 and its big. the pendant hit 42 on the vdi before i dug the target. it wasn't a slammin hit or did i think i had juice. sorry i had to say that from the tv show. here's the find 14k gold 37.8 grams

wow amazing caint wait for my f2 to come thanx man for this what is the pendent have you found out what it was yet

Well I guess I will have to say yes to this. Ironic this thread here today. Been working this old park that has lots of wheaties. Found out this park was an old army camp. This newbie with a F2 was detecting there today. He has been there a few times. Comes running up to me today and I figured he found a Morgan or something cool. I almost had to change my underwear. He hands me a 1855 $10 gold coin.:shock: I couldn't believe it. He said it came up as zinc and he almost didn't dig it. WOW!! Get this, he said it was an inch deep. Well I'm happy for him. That's what keeps this hobby going. So all of you that disc. out zinc better be carefull. Don't know what it is untill you dig it.

1855 $10 gold coin do you know what it was exactly see im getting into the hobby to kinda see things from the past and like pinpoint where things are and try to put pieces together to see what my home town was back 1-2-300 years ago you know
i don't know where ppl got the money back then to buy 10-50 dollar pieces when 10-50 was like 2-5 months wage its cool to see thax for sharing

That's a nice find! That's worth $1,217.00

here are some pics of the coin he found

Attachments

• gold10.jpg
    gold10.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 2,508
  • gold10bk.jpg
    gold10bk.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2,555
Where I live in Alaska I doubt I'll see many coins, too remote and very little in the way of any historical locations such as a deserted outpost, camp or battle zone.
To me its just all about gold, small traces, small nuggets and the such, of which is all around if you know the area. I have been told to get the Minelab 5000 as it will detect the deepest. Also is that in some places everyone else has already gone over the ground with other detectors, affordable ones that while do good on coins and gold don't have much depth in challenging soils.

But will I get the Minelab GPX 5000? Probaly not for here in Alaska, maybe an AT Gold, but when I take the next winter off in Australia I will probably get the 5000 then. Because in Oz people are finding big nuggets, but the soil fights back aggressively with its high mineral content, it eats up cheap MD's.

I think just about any detector can detect gold jewelry.

The difference between detectors starts showing when we start looking for very thin gold chains, very small gold items or small gold nuggets.

Yeah I did a test on my wifes diamond necklace it has a real thin chain & my F2 would not even detect it

Back
Top Bottom