• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Detecting tips & tricks

shegeek72

Some good tips & tricks. I have a question about #7:

"Don't coil the cable from the control box down to the search coil. Instead, tape the cable in a single line up the shaft to a point above the collapsible joint. Start the coil from there. As you swing the coil from side to side, a loose cable coiled around the shaft, and near the search coil, can give false signals."

Any truth to this? All of the MDs I've seen have it coiled all the way to the coil. I just checked my 250 and there's no slop near the coil.

http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/medetitr.html

It's probably more of a personal choice, as long as you have enough slack near the coil to allow you to adjust the coil if need be, then it's fine.

Almost every experienced detectorist that I have seen wraps the wire around the detector's shaft.

I personally wrap my coil wire because I have found that it doesn't get snagged by sticks and brush when I am woods hunting.

The less wire you have near the coil, the better your depth and sensitivity. It also cuts down on EMI. Not personal preference, but fact.

Attachments

• wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,364
I have always subconsciously did exactly that!
Straightening it from the coil to bout two feet up.
I dunno how to explain why i know how to do it, just from using it so long you kinda know when somethings messing with it... not false signals just a performance difference

some serious 6th sense stuff

Back
Top Bottom