Has anyone ever tried to organize a payed hunt

ICE

Of people here on FMDF? People pay an entry fee to pay for coins to be seeded people could donate things to the prize board etc. Has anyone tried this and was it successful? Tim

Of people here on FMDF? People pay an entry fee to pay for coins to be seeded people could donate things to the prize board etc. Has anyone tried this and was it successful? Tim
See scavenger hunt thread..................

I don't think the scavenger hunt is the type of hunt he's talking about beerdoodle.

No, ICE, we haven't ever held an official forum hunt. But we do encourage members to get together and hunt in their own state or local area.

I don't think the scavenger hunt is the type of hunt he's talking about beerdoodle.

No, ICE, we haven't ever held an official forum hunt. But we do encourage members to get together and hunt in their own state or local area.
A get together hunt is one thing and they are all good. Went to a paid hunt in the early 80,s It was a chinese cluster fuss. But it is something to consider with beaucoup planning involved..........

True... beaucoup planning and lots of volunteers.

No, honestly, I don't think Vlad and I are organized enough to pull off something like that.

I think there are several threads on it though. "Time schedules" and "distance to travel" were the stoppers.

True... beaucoup planning and lots of volunteers.

No, honestly, I don't think Vlad and I are organized enough to pull off something like that.

I think there are several threads on it though. "Time schedules" and "distance to travel" were the stoppers.

And with members in multiple continents, how does everyone get an opportunity to participate?

Maybe it's just me, but those seeded hunts don't appeal to me. Seems almost like following the fish hatchery truck around after they stock the stream. Group hunts are fine, though.

Maybe it's just me, but those seeded hunts don't appeal to me. Seems almost like following the fish hatchery truck around after they stock the stream. Group hunts are fine, though.

What's wrong with that? ;) nothing better than a dumb trout :lol:

Our club in Santa Clara County has two "organized" hunts per year...members only. Very well organized with some nice prizes, great food, and wonderful company.

The hunts themselves are kinda funny to watch, but great fun for those of us who are swinging. One hour for 70-80 folks to hunt a pretty small area for pennies painted green.

I used to attend them all of the time in the eastern and central states. They were alot of fun, and I met several people that became good friends. With the current economic situation and the price of fuel to travel, it is hard to justify paying $100 - $200 and up for entry fees. Most of the hunts that I attended seeded with silver coins, mostly dimes, but with enough quarters, halves, and dollars to make it interesting. They also planted tokens with numbers on them for the major prizes. ie: Detectors, Gold and Silver coins, and other hobby related items.
These types of hunts are starting to decline due to the cost of travel, cost of gold and silver. The detector Mfgs. would normally either donate or sell at deep discount various detectors or other products, but I guess the are feeling the economic situation just as the rest of us are.
As for conducting such a hunt, it normally takes at least a year of planning and organizing, advertising, contacting Mfgs. securing a area to hunt. That is why most of these type of hunts are put on by a club.

My buddy Don organizes the DFXonly hunt for the last 4 years... Un-seeded... I personally would never attend a seeded hunt... I think it takes the mystery out of the hunt. Don prepares for nearly a year to organize 60+ people at awesome sites... I know it takes alot of time, effort, and personal expense to get it all organized. And as Beerdoodle was referring to the Scavenger Hunt link... It seems hard enough to organize something like that without upsetting some folks. It's too bad really, I was looking forward to another Dirtfishing contest this summer... It's motivational, fun, and inexpensive... too bad that egos couldn't be shelved long enough to enjoy something.

Back
Top Bottom