Finders, keepers: Is metal detecting worth it?

With all the press lately and TV shows it looks like this hobby is going to be
big again and everyone will be doing it. Kind of like CB radios back in
70's. Running skip to the U.S on SSB, those where the good old days !:signals:
I don't think the shows on TV will ruin this hobby once it goes
big time and people really see what it is about and with more people
in the hobby you will most likely see some major finds this decade, we are
already seeing this in the UK with there Roman finds.

I don't think the shows on TV will ruin this hobby once it goes
big time and people really see what it is about and with more people
in the hobby you will most likely see some major finds this decade, we are
already seeing this in the UK with there Roman finds.

You see a lot of detectors for sale. Bought by people who thought the
fields were strewn with gold and silver.
Those they could get permission to go on.

In over ten years of metal detecting, I am still to find a nice Roman coin.

i think there will be an influx of new people but it will die off when they realize what you actually have to put into it. its alot of work doing research and driving and walking and digging. Its not as easy as it looks and those out for "a quick buck" will quickly be discouraged and bail out.....

One good point though, all of those new guys, will be out learning their machines, and digging lots of trash as part of that process. If they quit, before learning how to find the good stuff, the places they cleaned, will be easier for the rest of us.

Takes the body a couple of weeks to learn and adjust to any new physical activity, assuming you keep with it, through all the aches and pains. Don't think most take that into account, only that they hurt, and only a few coins, a pile of trash to show for it, not to mention a credit card bill, that the finds aren't even going put a dent in. Considering many people take the most expensive, as being the absolute best, and easiest to learn and use, will spend all the can, even if that can't really afford it. All this is just leading to a quick failure, which needs a quick solution. They need to dump the non-productive equipment, not so much for what they paid, but what they need to keep up with the bills. Should be a lot of high end equipment cheap. It's not as simple, quick, or easy, to flip a switch, and start digging up lost gold and silver. Like anything else, there will be lows, and highs, as far as interest goes. I takes dedication and persistence, to achieve any level of success in anything you do. Most people these days are too lazy, always looking for handouts, and the easy, work-free bucks.

I have a good friend who fits that bill.

Whenever I do anything, he has to go one better (or more than one :) )

Not long after I started detecting, he phoned me up one Sunday morning, when I was out in the middle of a field. Then started going on about wanting to try himself. At that time I was using a CScope R1.

Next thing I knew, he had gone out and bought a Minelab Explorer Mk1 (this was a while ago), complete with all of the extras.
I think he tried it twice !. The only time we detected together was when he wanted to search a building plot he'd bought. He had no idea how to set the Explorer up, so ended up using my Ace250 which I had taken as a spare.

Back
Top Bottom