Garrett problem

westfi1

I am a new member and this is my first post. I bought a used Garrett GTA 1000 detector. It appeared to be in excellent shape but I am having a problem with it. The audio signal cuts in and out at random even with the coil over a metal target and held absolutely still. I noticed that the two battery holders, when removed, were both broken. I felt sure that this was the problem. I called Garrett and they sent me two new ones. I just installed them today and I still have the problem. I noticed that when I wiggle the cord that runs from the coil to the control console, up near where it screws into the console, I can make the signal stop and start. Obviously, with this intermittent signal it is impossible to use the machine. I don't know if it is a bad cord, or what else it could be. The cord is permanently attached to the coil so it looks as though the cord alone can't be replaced. I cleaned all fittings and contact points thoroughly, and I am using new batteries. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks in advance for responding.

look into gettin a new coil, you should be able to pick one up for under 100 bucks. call garrett and see if you can get another crossfire coil or see what other coil is available for it. i had a gta 1000 for several years and they are good detectors. another thing you might wanna try is resetting the detector by holding the power button for about 5-10 seconds until it beeps twice, this will reset the detector to the default settings just incase the "depth" or sensitivity was cranked up to high causing false signals.
garrett has great customer service if you would need further assistance

also when you do wrap the cord of the coil up the rod make sure it is secure so that the detector isn't detecting the cable causing it to false(beep), use black tape or plastic zip ties to keep the cable(coil wire) from freely moving

I noticed that when I wiggle the cord that runs from the coil to the control console, up near where it screws into the console, I can make the signal stop and start.
Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks in advance for responding.

Well, there you go... something is wrong with the cable, or the connector, or the port on the control box.

Call Garrett and see what they can do for you.

First, take off the connector, clean everything the best you can, replace and see if that fixes it.
Check the cable closely if this doesn't work.

Good luck.

Review below
Sounds like a great one, I would get it working, for sure.

GARRETT GTA 1000 POWER MASTER BY RED SKY

In my thirty four years involved in the metal detecting hobby I have owned several metal detectors progressing from the early Beat Frequency Oscillators on through the Transmitter Receivers and now into the computerized models which think for themselves.

In October 2006 I acquired a gently used Garrett GTA 1000 with the Power Master designation from an Ebay auction. It was difficult at first for me to transition from a machine that I could "dial-in" myself for ground balance and sensitivity but decided to take the leap of faith based on what Charles Garrett wrote in his treasure hunting books.

The GTA 1000 is the best metal detector I have ever owned. The ease of operation puts a lot of high technology into the hands of even the most inexperienced detector user and only enhances the capabilities of someone who has been in the field for years. The key pad allows for easy programming and the unit is accompanied by a written manual and a video tape to explain all aspects of operation. The manual is available for download at the Garrett web site and the video tape was still in supply when I ordered it.

My favorite thing about this detector besides the ease of use is the Bell Tone feature that sounds off when a "good" target is detected. Like any other detector it is imperative that the user familiarizes themselves with the specific tones their detector makes for common targets and this specific feature is just an bonus that I thoroughly enjoy.

As for detecting in trashy areas this detector and other Garrett units comes programmed with Notch Discrimination which allows for eliminating unwanted trash readings. I rarely use this feature unless the area is heavily burdened with trash as the Graphic Target Analysis shown above the keypad accurately shows the type of target detected. In one "hunted out" park I was not able to retrieve any coins from other than the most heavily trashed area around the baseball diamond. Once I notched out the trash the familiar bell tone rang with regularity.

When sharing treasure tales with other local detector users I find they are consistently amazed at what I recover from the local parks and school grounds they have also searched. The GTA 1000 is accurate and with patience performs extremely well. I have recovered dimes from depths of twelve inches or more. While I may not be recovering everything I feel confident that I am not missing much.

In the past the most difficult coins to detect were nickels. This metal detector finds them with no added effort on my part. It clearly differentiates them from pull tabs and other trash items which are close in frequency response. Routinely I retrieve few if any trash items. It is always best to dig some marginal signals to not overlook rings and other jewelry items.

One of my principal reasons for trading up to the GTA 1000 was the Beach setting. This setting allowed me to search the local beaches with the same ease and response as searching a well manicured park.

This model is no longer in production and represents technology that is at least a decade old. Having stated that I would not trade this detector away without a lot of consideration. The response, the ease of use, and the results it brings are hard to beat. If I decided to trade up it would most definitely be to another Garrett detector. There are other fine companies that make very good high quality metal detectors. Some have been in the business longer than Garrett. I can only relate that I have never enjoyed metal detecting more than when using a Garrett detector. It was hard to break away from my old reliable Groundhog and switch to this more modern technology but now there is no turning back.

The kind people at Garrett have given me great service when I request technical information or parts ( I broke a piece off the housing when I accidentally dropped the detector on a cement walkway). It is always a comfort to know that this company stands behind its products and treats every customer like a valued client.

I hope this review gives some positive insight to what I believe to be the best line of metal detectors available.

Back
Top Bottom