Watch from WW2 - Recovered and returned to family

RRPG

Hi all

Please find a link below to a video of the story of the watch I found here in England.

It was found on an old USAAF base in the vicinity of the barracks and, after some extensive searching on the internet and help of a couple of people in America, I tracked down the owner. Unfortunately he had died in the late 90s but his brother was still alive and well. I found the watch on Friday and by Sunday of the same week I was talking to his brother in Normal, Illinois.

The watch is now framed and hanging in the hallway of the guys brother, along with a photograph of where it was found, and even one of him in Uniform that I also managed to get from his units historian.

Now I know this item has no intrinsic value and, indeed, some may view it as pure trash. But to be able to return it to the family of a young man who gave his youth, (as so many millions did), to protect democracy and all it stood for was a great honour and one I hope to repeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwWsBzA8cx0

I have also attached a couple of shots of the watch, (after it had been cleaned). Note the manufacturer and the name inscribed on the back.

Regards

RRPG

Attachments

• watch 1 (2).jpg
    watch 1 (2).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,441
  • watch 3.jpg
    watch 3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,358
That is awesome. I know if someone contacted me having found something of my grandfather's on one of the Pacific islands I'd be ecstatic. Very nice!

Nice job on the return. Normal is just down the road from me a couple of hours, been there many times.

That is an incredible story. Too bad he still wasnt with us, the story behind the watch mighta been something to hear.

Props to you for doing what you did for that family! As a newbie...you are one of many that make me look forward to this hobby!

Many thanks all :)

Your comments brought it all back to me and I got goosebumps all over AGAIN........just like I did when I first looked at the picture of Oliver. His brother, Ed, was amazed that I managed to track him down :) :) :)

RRPG

RRPG - I really enjoyed your post,I bet his brother Ed is still in
shock that someone would take the time to do what you did.

Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom