Just bought myself a Christmas present

pryan67

Forum Supporter
So Sunday is supposed to be 51 and sunny here in Northern Illinois.

I figured I "deserved" a Christmas present, so I bought myself a Minelab Profind 35. I have 2 carrots, a Garrett ProPointer 2, and a TekPoint (which I don't like...so my brother has it now to play with detecting, along with my F2)

I'm hoping that I like it....

Nice gift! I have the carrot and wouldn’t mind a Minelab - maybe next Christmas I’ll aim for that. I’m going to try and throw some $ together for the 15” Nox coil some day first.

Let us know how you like it!

Well now...I'm very disappointed with the ProFind 35.

Air testing gets maybe 2 inches on a quarter. I also am seeing quite a bit of falsing.

I emailed the seller (got it from Amazon) and they said that the 2 inches is "normal". I get 3-4 inches with my Carrot.

I think that I'm sending it back

Well now...I'm very disappointed with the ProFind 35.

Air testing gets maybe 2 inches on a quarter. I also am seeing quite a bit of falsing.

I emailed the seller (got it from Amazon) and they said that the 2 inches is "normal". I get 3-4 inches with my Carrot.

I think that I'm sending it back

I would, minelab makes the best detectors IMO, but they make one of the worst pinpointers (also just my opinion). Ive heard some good things about the whites TRX, but it doesn't have 360° detection field, only the tip. Anywho, let us know how it all ends up, good luck out there!

I love my TRX. I used to get some falsing with it, but I read somewhere that if you hold the tip on the ground when you turn it on it ground balances and won't false as much. Since I've been doing that it works much better.

Just to keep things in perspective... it is a pinpointer, no a metal detector itself, so getting 2 inches should still be more than enough for its intended purpose. A pinpointer is meant to be used once the plug has been opened and you are now getting close to the target so you can take extra care as to not scratch it.

Having a pinpointer that sounds off at 4+ inches can be just as frustrating because it will cause you to possibly be picking up other various targets (nails, iron) around the plug as well because at that range you are no longer truly pinpointing.

I did a comparison video between the Carrot and predecessor Minelab Pro-Find 25, both capable pinpointers, but I still leaned to the Carrot stick (and I knock down the sensitivity when I use it for the reason stated above).

Just to keep things in perspective... it is a pinpointer, no a metal detector itself, so getting 2 inches should still be more than enough for its intended purpose. A pinpointer is meant to be used once the plug has been opened and you are now getting close to the target so you can take extra care as to not scratch it.

Having a pinpointer that sounds off at 4+ inches can be just as frustrating because it will cause you to possibly be picking up other various targets (nails, iron) around the plug as well because at that range you are no longer truly pinpointing.

I did a comparison video between the Carrot and predecessor Minelab Pro-Find 25, both capable pinpointers, but I still leaned to the Carrot stick (and I knock down the sensitivity when I use it for the reason stated above).

You make good points as always. I like being able to really pinpoint the deeper targets though which is why I like the range of the Carrot. Since it's still warm here (very odd...but if this is global warming, bring it on :) ) I think I'll give it another chance. I like the idea of the iron discrimination, although I haven't seen that work yet (when I was out I was being very selective in my targets because the ground is a bit tough to dig around here).

I have been saying this for many, many years. Do the work while you're standing. The pinpointer isn't your detector. :D

That's when...

Attachments

• ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F45%2F81%2F9d%2F45819d4ff3358f3e131d5a7c9a21d981.jpg
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F45%2F81%2F9d%2F45819d4ff3358f3e131d5a7c9a21d981.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 338
I love my TRX. I used to get some falsing with it, but I read somewhere that if you hold the tip on the ground when you turn it on it ground balances and won't false as much. Since I've been doing that it works much better.

I actually like the way just the tip detects and I also like having 4 sensitivity levels and that you can ratchet the signal the closer you get to a target.

Doug

EXACTLY! The adjust-ability of the carrot pays dividends in really noisy soil. I really like mine. If anyone needs a pin pointer with a 4 inch range, they need to work on their detector technique.

Nice gift! I have the carrot and wouldn’t mind a Minelab - maybe next Christmas I’ll aim for that. I’m going to try and throw some $ together for the 15” Nox coil some day first.

Let us know how you like it!

I bought myself the 15" for Christmas.. The Jury is still out as to whether or not it was worth it.. Definitely covers more ground, not sure about deeper and it Does add some weight for sure..

Back
Top Bottom