New guy from Toronto, Canada

Skinny Monkey

Hi everyone. My son and I are new to this hobby. We are in Canada about an hour north of Toronto in a rural area next to a military base that housed and trained soldiers from World War 1 on. We are avid Geocachers and this seems like a natural extension to finding the treasure. Have been looking at the Garrett Ace 250 as a starting model. Our season here is short as there's snow on the ground 5 months of the year.

I do have one question I can't seem to find any postings on. Does anyone operate a rental business? My entrepreneurial son thinks this would be a great business idea on Center Islands which are actually a connected group of islands in Toronto harbour. He also thinks there may be a market here for search and recovery or land sweeping. Any ideas on this?

Anyways, glad I found this forum. The section on the wierd things people say to you when detecting is hilarious.

Dan and Conor

Welcome Dan and Conor. Lots of information here, you'll enjoy it. The ACE 250 is a fantastic starter machine, especially if you take the time to learn it and it sounds like you'll have plenty of that for a while. You should check out the ACE 250 social group here on the forum, you'll learn a lot there. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Welcome the Ace is a find and well built machine. Dont get into this hobby with the idea of making alot of money or getting rich

Welcome dan and conor, The 250 is a great machine. Ya a rental bussiness along with sales is always a good idea. Good luck and HH. WOLF

welcome

Welcome to the forum Dan & Conor. I think you're going to like the Ace250. You should get each of you one! :D
Dusty Eagle

I do have one question I can't seem to find any postings on. Does anyone operate a rental business? My entrepreneurial son thinks this would be a great business idea on Center Islands which are actually a connected group of islands in Toronto harbour. He also thinks there may be a market here for search and recovery or land sweeping. Any ideas on this?

Welcome to the forum.

I am an optimist by nature and say "nothing ventured, nothing gained." Let your son do some research on the possibility. Ask around; do a cost/profit analysis; etc. You never know until you try. Let us know how it pans out.

RD :cool:

Hi Dan and Conor,

I live in Toronto (actually Richmond Hill north of Toronto).
The ACE 250 is a great beginner detector.
As a part-time basement business, it could be done. But NOT as a full time business where you expect to make a living off it, it cannot be done. There have been so many that started and folded after some time.

The parks department do not allow metal detecting on the Toronto Islands.

When you say 1 hr north of Toronto, would that be Coldwater?

Ken

Hi Dan and Conor,

I live in Toronto (actually Richmond Hill north of Toronto).
The ACE 250 is a great beginner detector.
As a part-time basement business, it could be done. But NOT as a full time business where you expect to make a living off it, it cannot be done. There have been so many that started and folded after some time.

The parks department do not allow metal detecting on the Toronto Islands.

When you say 1 hr north of Toronto, would that be Coldwater?

Ken
Thanks Ken. We are in Lisle which is the west side of Base Borden. Are you a member of any clubs up here?

As for the business part, more interest than anything. We were wondering if the guys that do beach rentals have any problems. ie: theft, damaged equipment. Thanks for the info on the Toronto Islands. We were also thinking about Wasaga Beach. It's about 25 minutes from us.

What areas do you have the most kuck in?

Welcome. How's the snow up there! Post some pics of your finds,we all enjoy them!........... Jan
We have about two feet on the ground and at least a foot on the roof. When it gets heavy enough I'm up there shoveling while trying not to land on my head.

Best Wishes for 2009

Welcome Dan and Conor. Lots of information here, you'll enjoy it. The ACE 250 is a fantastic starter machine, especially if you take the time to learn it and it sounds like you'll have plenty of that for a while. You should check out the ACE 250 social group here on the forum, you'll learn a lot there. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Thanks I'll check it out.

Best Wishes for 2009

Back
Top Bottom