Importance of "Quality Headphones"?

SargentClad

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but here goes. I will use stock headphones that come with an AT Pro as an example. Would I miss faint signals with these that I would pick up with an expensive set of phones like Killer B's? I'm sure the B's are more comfortable but will they put more finds in the pouch?

Not sure that the stock AT phones are like but I would definitely vote for a good, comfortable set. I definitely hear more with my Gray Ghosts than I did with the stock Etrac or Excal phones but I think this has more to do with fit and noise deadening than with them actually sounding any better. I hear more because they fit way better and block out more outside noise. And the comfort factor alone would be worth it! :yes: The Etrac ones were forever falling off and the Excal ones were just ridiculous. :lol:

I have used the stock at pro headphones and the koss headphones that came with my etrac and dirty30 and now I use the grey ghost ultimates. To be honest besides comfort I can't tell any audio improvements

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

I was never into wearing headphones until I got my Explorer SE. For years I only wore whatever I had laying around on windy days or detecting a noisy area. I had lots of stock and Koss pairs. I decided to get a nice pair of Jolly Rogers when I realized I needed to use headphones all the time. I got a better fit and some nice features. The audio wasn't a huge difference but I don't think my hearing is perfect anyway. For anyone who will be wearing headphones most of the time I would reccommend a nice pair probably $100+. Just my experience. GL and HH. Matt

Depending on your hearing, probably not. The biggest features of the the top-of-the-line headphones are that they have a crisper sound (not really a big deal for some), they have larger and more comfortable ear-cups, they use less power so your batteries last longer, and they are made from higher quality components.

The biggest advantage from all that is the better ear cups are better at blocking out ambient noise, which CAN help you hear targets you might otherwise miss.

The better quality components will last longer and take more abuse than cheap ones.

Longer lasting batteries is a nice benefit too.

I have a new set of Whites ProStar headphones and I was really impressed with the sound versus the Garrett lightweight phones that I have been using on my Prizm 6T. I have had quality phones in the past and these are really the best that I have used. I am primarily a tone hunter and I use the display as a reference only so to hear the subtle differences with the new phones was a really nice improvement.

Back
Top Bottom