Confederate Horse Buckle Shield found in Illinois

Foiled

My family lives on the land where our ancestors originally homesteaded in 1849 in Carroll County Illinois. Since the day I started detecting i have wanted to detect the original house that was bulldozed in the 1950's out in the bean field.

This year I finally got the chance to visit the field over Thanksgiving break. Though the fields were so rock hard i needed to literally chip my way down to targets, and the max depth i could reach mentally set at around 1-2 inches, I lasted 5 hours in the field.

Most notable was a Civil War Era Confederate Horse Buckle Shield.

My camera is terrible but here is the exact buckle i found straight from google images

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/w225/m/mnsEYK7sdpB3IkRZWHi9nqQ.jpg

my question to you relic hunters (im a slowly reforming coinshooter) is any idea what this was doing in illinois? not a single battle was fought on Illinois soil and the population was very pro union.

confederate buckle? middle of a bean field 100 ft from an 1849 house? Northern illinois by the way.

edit: it is a sad day when one must eat crow. i have done more research and found it is something that is civilian not confederate.... it may date to cw period but it is in fact prob a civilian use horse buckle. however mine is polished brass which may at least suggest a bit higher quality than contemporary iron or copper pieces

Could have been a war trophy/souvenir. Any family serve in the Union Army?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found these in southern Illinois by fern clyff state park where an 1800s house used to sit. Someone told me that these were popular all the way up to 1900 and not just civil war.

Attachments

• IMG_20131223_204149.jpg
    IMG_20131223_204149.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 403
yes although i have accepted i didnt find a civil war relic, there is still the possibility of it being cw period and its old old old thats for sure!

from my reseach they are still made today, but they started before the CW. THEY ARE STILL A COOL FIND. congrads blev

Back
Top Bottom