Pulled a few more Minnie balls and round balls from the site

Seven

Forum Supporter
I hit the camp site again this morning and had fair luck, I got two .58 caliber cone base Minnie balls, three .69 caliber round balls, and one fired small round ball. This site it on a flat on a hill, but all of the bullet finds are coming off the outside slopes of the hill and the greater part from a couple of swags on each side of the higher flat. Might have dug two or three in all from the top flat section, everything else has been off the sides. Might be something to consider if you are hunting a similar site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 282
Very nice! It won't be long until you find something spectacular there, I can feel it! By the way, what machine are you using at the civil war site?

Thanks Pacivilwarluke. I hope you are right. Personally I think we are fortunate to have a site where we can find the lead and knapsack items we have. I'm happy with what I've got. However, I did expect that we would find some buttons, but have not found any yet.

As to what machine I am using, I'm using my CTX 3030 to hunt this site. In fact, I just about use the CTX exclusively now because it has GPS tracking and I can keep up with what sections I have hunted and keep track of where my finds were located. We are donating everything to our local museum and will eventually make up a map showing where each artifact was located.

I have an AT Pro but I keep it at the houseboat and use it for fresh water hunting. My partner is using my Etrac.

I am including a picture of our finds recorded on Google Earth map (I can also download tracks, but this example only shows Find Points). It really helps me establish patterns. In fact, I hunted a section this morning that I noticed I had missed when I downloaded all of my tracking information. We are trying to literally hit every inch of this site. Thanks for all the help you have given me on identifying finds. Hope I get to pick your brain some more... because that will mean I have found something unusual... or as you say, spectacular! :lol::lol:

Attachments

• Carter finds pic.jpg
    Carter finds pic.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 259
That's great, I love seeing the ctx maps! It's interesting how most of the roundballs came from that one section. You're doing a great service by donating to your local museum! Good luck and find some more relics soon!

Yeah it's neat. Sometimes you can predict where other finds might be by looking at the patterns. That's what I did today. When I hunt a site a lot I have to separate the tracks from the finds because it gets to be a mess with all the lines and find points. Thanks for your comments. Guess we will hit it again tomorrow for at least a couple if hours. The CTX also keeps track if hunting time and I have 11 hours and 25 minutes in on this small part if the site already.

Wow you are plucking history out of the ground every day! What a amazing place you found to hunt!

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom