Fiskars - Digging Tools

GeorgiaJay

Forum Supporter
I was looking around at some different digging tools that weren't too expensive. Fiskars does seem to be a pretty good brand. They are very inexexpensive, backed by a lifetime warranty, and are appear to be well made. They are sold at a lot of stores including, Walmart, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Linens N Things, etc. Fiskars, also has a lot of other interesting and innovative garden tools on their website. I think all of these tools pictured below are around $7.99 - $8.99. I am going to buy a couple of these tools pictured below and I will let you guys know how well they work and hold up. GL and HH.

GeorgiaJay
Garret Ace 250

http://http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&categoryId=10273&productId=10539&page=products

Big Grip Multi-Purpose Tool
Big Grip Multi-Purpose Planting Tool.jpg

Big Grip Transplanter
Big Grip Transplanter.jpg

Big Grip Trowel
Big Grip Trowel.jpg

Soil Scoop - Nyglass (R)
Soil Scoop - Nyglass (R).jpg

Trowel - Nyglass (R)
Trowel - Nyglass (R).jpg

I'm using the one on the top. It's OK but handle keeps coming off. Glued it several times but to no avail.
Paul

My handle kept coming off also. I finally bought a Lesche and it is a great digging tool. I should have just bought it to start with.

I have the one on top and it works great for me when I dig dirt which is 10% of my hunting. I have been really abusive with it.

Two of those 20.00. If you dig in hard dirt or try to pry up rocks etc. you will be buying more. I suggest for another 20.00 plus shipping if you don't have a stocking dealer near you, just get one of these and be done with it. It will probably be the last digger you need to buy.

http://predatortools.com/

I broke 2 of the top one. The handle is held on with 4 spot welds. One weld breaks the handle gets loose than it breaks off. I re welded the handle and it never broke again. I didn't like the groove in the blade tip. I now use a Lesche. Rob

Re: Digging Tools

I went out yesterday and today and could not find the two Fiskars digging tools that I wanted. So, instead I bought an OXO and a Ames (7 in 1 tool) at Lowes for about $20. The OXO has serrated edges on each side and is really sharp. The Ames tool was wrapped in hard plastic, so I couldn't see how sharp it was at the store. The Ames tool is not that sharp. After, I use a Dremel to sharpen it, I think this tool will work alright. Plus, both of these have a lifetime warranty.

I agree that Lesche, Predator or some of the other higher end tools would work better, but they are pretty expensive and most of them are only available online. I want to get some really good headphones like Killer B's, Gray Ghost, etc. So, I really can't afford to buy a Lesche. I might get one after I have been hunting for a little while and have found some more money.

GeorgiaJay
Garrett Ace 250

I bought the "Planters Buddy" at Home Depot ($15) after it was recommended on another site.
Works great and has a lifetime warranty.
Has very sharp and large serrated edge on one side and sharp on the other. I cannot compare it to Lesche, but it SEEMS to be about the same thing. Lesched does have a larger protector between your hand and the metal.

Attachments

• PB.jpg
    PB.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 926
I bought the "Planters Buddy" at Home Depot ($15) after it was recommended on another site.
Has very sharp and large serrated edge on one side and sharp on the other. I cannot compare it to Lesche, but it SEEMS to be about the same thing. Lesched does have a larger protector between your hand and the metal.
I got a Planters Buddy free with a detector I bought. I used it once & knew if I used it much it would break, even if I was careful with it so I sold it. It flexed way too much & I didn't like the seperated point. The blade is not very long either. I have a yellow handle $10.00 digger (made for detecting) that I have been using for almost 5 years although getting a little dull it still works great. Steve.

Quote - I cannot compare it to Lesche, but it SEEMS to be about the same thing. End quote -

Not even close.

Attachments

• jjj.jpg
    jjj.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 838
Chase2b, believe me it is not about the same. If the Fiskers handles didn't come off it has a better blade than yours. Also don't ever slide down the handle on yours after you sharpen the blade.

Steve I've got the same digger as yours but with the blue handle. It depends on how and what you are digging. I have to cut flaps and plugs and your digger has too much curve. Also I pry the deep flaps by prying on the tool and believe me yours is too soft.

I really didn't think a Lesche (or a Predator) would make that much difference, IT DOES. The blade is stiffer, harder and thinner. It just cuts through the ground easier. If I hadn't got mine free from Whites I might still be using my re welded and reshaped Fiskers and I also wouldn't know. Rob

I have the big grip Fiskars that now serves backup to a Lesche digger. The Fiskars never failed me, but it doesn't really compare to the strength of the Lesche tool...there is little flex in a Lesche digger.

I got a Planters Buddy free with a detector I bought. I used it once & knew if I used it much it would break, even if I was careful with it so I sold it. It flexed way too much & I didn't like the seperated point. The blade is not very long either. I have a yellow handle $10.00 digger (made for detecting) that I have been using for almost 5 years although getting a little dull it still works great. Steve.

Quote - I cannot compare it to Lesche, but it SEEMS to be about the same thing. End quote -

Not even close.

Not to get into a debate but you used it once and KNEW that it would break?
I have used the PB in ground as hard as concrete and it never flexed at all. IT is extrmely hard and durable and the blade is only an inch shorter than Lesche. The serrated edge (usually a feature on good diggers) cuts through weeds easily.

Chase2b, believe me it is not about the same. If the Fiskers handles didn't come off it has a better blade than yours. Also don't ever slide down the handle on yours after you sharpen the blade.

I have seen them both and own the PB. I have to disagree with you on the fiskars having a better blade. I think they are both good quality.
Everyone keeps defending the Fiskars but all you here is how the handles break and the tool in general doesn't hold up...? What good is the blade then?

Initially, I was just recommending a good digging tool that has worked well for me and others. I too would like to purchase a Lesche, but it's tough to justify that expense when a tool almost 1/3 the price will do the same job.

Not to get into a debate but you used it once and KNEW that it would break?
I have used the PB in ground as hard as concrete and it never flexed at all. IT is extrmely hard and durable and the blade is only an inch shorter than Lesche. The serrated edge (usually a feature on good diggers) cuts through weeds easily.
When I said once, I meant one day. Yes it will break, read the other forums and see that I am not the only one that says this. I'm not try to put down the PB, it would be ok for gardening work. I was trying to make a point that for $15.00 a person can buy a digger that was made for metal detecting. By all means if the PB works for ya go for it. Steve.

Steve I've got the same digger as yours but with the blue handle. It depends on how and what you are digging. I have to cut flaps and plugs and your digger has too much curve. Also I pry the deep flaps by prying on the tool and believe me yours is too soft.

I really didn't think a Lesche (or a Predator) would make that much difference, IT DOES. The blade is stiffer, harder and thinner. It just cuts through the ground easier. If I hadn't got mine free from Whites I might still be using my re welded and reshaped Fiskers and I also wouldn't know. Rob
Steve I've got the same digger as yours but with the blue handle. It depends on how and what you are digging. I have to cut flaps and plugs and your digger has too much curve. Also I pry the deep flaps by prying on the tool and believe me yours is too soft. I always cut plugs, that is why I like a digger with a curve in the blade. Believe me I have dug in alot of hard ground over the years with my digger and it has never even let me down. I wouldn't mind trying a Lesche but they are alot of $$$ and I don't think the blade is curved at all. With no curve how do ya clean out the hole if you need to go alittle deeper. Now if my math is correct, my type digger $10.00 x 4 = $40.00 5 years/digger = 20 years So it would take me at least 20 years of use to justify a Lesche.

Same Tool

That is the same one I bought at Lowes. I have not used that one yet. I need to sharpen the blade. Mine, was kind of dull. So far, I have been using an OXO tool and it seems to work really well for me. HH

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom