~~1857 flying eagle~~

goes4ever

Elite Member
Well yesterday started slow but ended with a real treat! I started at a 1954 house and I dug a ton of trash, a lil clad, and ONE wheat....lol

I went to a another house, it looked much older, the owner said the house was older but it was moved to this lot in 1957, oh well I will give it a shot anyhow. I ended up with 2 silver rosies, several wheats, some more clad, and this real cool Odd Fellow Token. I have looked on the web and cannot find any info, or its age anywhere, any help would be appreciated.

After that I made one last stop to a field site, and I dug one good target before it started sleeting on me.....nice low tone 12-24 on the etrac. I was hoping, praying it was a fatty indian...........NOPE, even better, a sweet 1857 Flying Eagle cent. Made my day! This is my 3rd flying eagle in 4 yrs hunting, so I consider myself pretty lucky!
:D

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01932.jpg

DSC01937.jpg

DSC01938.jpg

Congrats on the FE!
Aren't you up in Northwest Ohio? I was up there yesterday...drove my wife up to Defiance for a photo shoot. I was able to slip out and do a little detecting at a park. Found a whopping .43 in an hour. We left around 4pm, just as the sleet was starting.
AMAZED at the homes in Defiance. Just about every one of them near downtown is a 19th century mansion. I figure in the 1800s the town had a lot of money due to the confluence of the rivers and shipping.
The ground is also a LOT more frozen up there than it is in central Ohio. I could only get about 1" in the gravel on the tot lot. Grass was a bit frozen, too.

One of the best FEs from the ground I think I've seen, awesome! Also a nice IOOF (Independent Order of Odd Fellows) token, FLT = Friendship, Love & Truth. Wanna know a little more, here's their website. Lots of examples of your token all over the interweb :yes:

Awesome finds!! That Flying Eagle is beautiful. I have goals for this year and then I have dream goals to find this year. The Flying Eagle is top on my list of dream goals this year. Congrats.

At least you didn't BUY it and tell all of us metal detectorists. :laughing:

Great find Terry. Glad to hear you're out digging. FE is high on my list (not on my E-trac) :drums:

Back
Top Bottom