GoPro camera mount for videos

pescadore

Elite Member
I was wondering what camera mount for the GoPro Hero 3 camera worked the best while making metal detecting videos. It looks like the chest mount might work pretty well but was hoping I could get some advice from experienced users.
Pesc

Chest mount would be good, as it would capture your activity both swinging, and retrieving. You could use the head strap mount, but you have to be very conscious of not moving your head too much, lest you make the viewer sea sick during playback.

The chest mount might not capture the detector screen with enough detail for the viewer to read it.

Papa

Anyone have a video made with a chest mount gopro?
Ive been thinking of getting the pivothead glasses, but Im not sure this would give the best overall view. And I think there may be to much motion.

I recommend using the "handlebar mount" on the detector itself.. Do NOT be fooled by the epay listings saying "metal detector mount" -- you can easily purchase one for a gps or iphone and save yourself $20+ dollars.

With the detector mount, you capture the swing of the detector, and when you sit the detector down on the ground, just aim it at the hole where you need to dig. It can capture it all.

I only use the head mount...looks stupid, works good.
I prefer to show the screen as much as I can and show the actual process of acquiring targets and signals because I like my vids to be as much about technique and showing how I hunt and the signals I look for to some newbies as much as recovering the targets so as long as I aim the thing correctly this works for me the best.
A couple of examples below...

As you can see from DIGGER27 and my videos, The best overall viewing will be Head mount. Btw DIGGER27 nice videos and finds.

Thanks for the advice. Digger, your videos seem to come out nice .. thanks for sharing. I am hopefully getting my camera this weekend and I will be able to experiment with it.

When I use mine I prefer the chest mount. I mainly use mine in the water but I will be staring to use it more when it warms up. I do not like the chest mount over a coat it restricts me to much.

I haven't had a chance to try my Gopro detecting yet but I have most of the available mounts for it. Besides the ones mentioned, I believe the Jaws clamp mount might work very good for detecting videos if you want the camera mounted to the detector. The clamp is extremely strong and the flex part is very stiff. The flex part would raise the camera up if you want your detector screen in the video. I mounted it to my snow plow once just to try it and it worked great.
162f2bbbbfe6746d4a576d6a5582f912_zps1775a291.jpg

I couldn't decide if I should buy it or not because it is a little pricey. I figured I could return it if I didn't like it. Once I opened it I realized how well made it was and how convenient it will be to have it I decided to keep it.
I agree with the jaw mount flex arm. Don't have that mount yet.

This is my set up. It catches all my swinging, and when I put the detector down to dig the plug, it catches that too. It swivels left to right, and up and down, but at that position it does not need to be moved at all. It's also easy to activate in this position.

Also, which is a big plus, it does not look goofy like the ones placed on peoples heads :laughing:

lm35.png

This is my set up. It catches all my swinging, and when I put the detector down to dig the plug, it catches that too. It swivels left to right, and up and down, but at that position it does not need to be moved at all. It's also easy to activate in this position.

Also, which is a big plus, it does not look goofy like the ones placed on peoples heads :laughing:

lm35.png

My exact set up

I have no videos uploaded but as soon as the weather / ground unfreezes I will. Right now I just have silly test videos i have made just to see if the orientation is right.

Another thing, the audio seems to be better in this position compared to the gopro being on your head.

I tend to get a little sea sick when watching videos with the camera mounted on the detector itself. Just too much movement for me.
Personally I have the chest mount and also a mount I made that goes on my hat. Have not had a chance to use it out in the field yet as we are @ss deep in snow at the moment.

That's because people who do that don't know how to edit down videos :yes:

This is true. Each dig will probably only include 2 or 3 swings until i lay the detector down to retrieve the target, then proceed to show the camera with a small description / dialogue.

I cant imagine videoing 5 minutes of just swinging lol. That would make anyone nauseous!

Back
Top Bottom