18th & 19th Century finds from the Dutch Forest

Karmold

Hi Folks,

I did another forest hunt over the weekend, and thought I'd share some of the finds with you all:

I believe this came up as an odd signal around pulltab range-ish. A bit of research has revealed that it's a silver armband made in the "zeeuwse klederdracht" style - which is the traditional dress in Zeeland. The bracelet specifically mimics the style of zeeland buttons.
A helpful fellow on a dutch forum estimated its age around the 19th century.

The other find of the day was a coin spill of 3 coins:

Two of them are Duit coins minted in Zeeland (thus the "ZEELANDIA" marking), while the third with the hole in the middle is a Duit from Utrecht. All three are bronze.
Two of the three still have a date on them, both from the 1790's.

Around this time the United Kingdom of The Netherlands had not come around yet, so the provinces were still minting their coins separately.
"The duit was a copper Dutch coin worth 2 penning, with 8 duit pieces equal to one stuiver and 160 duit pieces equal to one gulden."
It's only after the Napoleonic wars that the Netherlands decimalised the guilder into 100 cents.

Another interesting bit: "These coins [stuivers] were used extensively in 18th Century world trade and many found their way into the Colonies, where they became known as "New York Dimes"."

Great old finds you got there! I happened to find a 1724 Stad Utrecht a month or so ago. From what I can tell it is bronze also.

Great old finds you got there! I happened to find a 1724 Stad Utrecht a month or so ago. From what I can tell it is bronze also.

They did make duit coins from silver and gold, so yours just might be one of the former. Sent you a PM with more info!

Back
Top Bottom