• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nokta Pinpointer or Garrett Carrot

tramsey1

I just got the Nokta Makro Simplex+ and will soon be getting into the market for a pinpointer. Based on experience and research, what would be the better option to go, the Nokta or Garrett pinpointer?

I know the Nokta is supposed to play with the Simplex better but I've heard a lot of good out of the Garrett. A buddy of mine has the Garrett and it seemed good. I understand that the Garrett causes a lot of feedback on the Simplex but that isn't a huge issue with the new mute function. So I am looking more for cost vs function/reliability. Thanks!

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

People love the carrot, they do get problems but customer service is good.
The nokta is far less $ with equal performance except the "gieger counter" sound isn't as variable. I never heard of one having problems but there's FAR less of them out there compared to carrot. The buttons on the top bothers some.

I own both. I bought the carrot first with my first MD (Tarsacci), and it worked fine, but when I bought the Simplex the machine would go crazy when I turned the carrot on. I read on another forum that the PulseDive doesn't interfere with the Simplex-it does, regardless of frequency (although with the 2.77 update, there's a mute button feature which eliminates that for both pointers). The pros and cons on the PulseDive: Pros: $26 cheaper and it does pretty much everything the AT ProPointer does. Cons: Bigger and heavier and has a larger, blunt nose so if you like to "swim" your pointer in the dirt looking for signs of your target, it'll be harder to do. They both work well, just depends on what you're looking for...

I use a carrot with the Simplex. If you lay the Simplex down with the coil away from where you are working with the carrot, then the interference is not that bad.

If you are using the Nokta wireless headphones you might want to consider their pinpointer. From what I heard from other Simplex users here their pinpointer works well with their headphones. Apparently it automatically mutes the detector when you turn the pinpointer on so you can hear the pinpointer through the headphones.

This is all good info. I used my buddies carrot today and the mute function on the Simplex makes everything mostly ok with it. If I leave the Simplex too close though, the carrot gets a little chatty but nothing that can't be fixed by moving it away slightly.

I am very curious if the Nokta pointer works a little better in this regard. I do like the sound of the Nokta working with the Simplex headphones.

Still on the fence. I know the carrot works great but I like the sounds of the Nokta playing nice with the Simplex.

I love the carrot, I wont use anything else. But, in your situation, I think the nokta pointer would be better for you. Being able to hear it through the wireless headphones is a cool feature, and if it mutes the detector when you turn the pinpointer on, you wont hear any feedback either. Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted!

Being able to hear it through the wireless headphones is a cool feature, and if it mutes the detector when you turn the pinpointer on, you wont hear any feedback either.

Very true. I'll keep doing some research and report back with my decision later on.

I do not like the carrot. Mine has a problem were it has no sensitivity some of the time. Literally will not pick up a coin at a quarter inch sometimes. I sent it back to Garrett and it came back with the same problem, although the problem occurs less frequently.

Rather than send it back again, I just got in the habit of testing it on my digger, and power cycling it if it has the problem. It is an annoyance, tho.

Also, mode 3 (the most sensitive), is unusable. It falses constantly all the time. Never got it to work successfully in real dirt. So, if you are counting on that mode, and your dirt is not completely free of mineralization, you may be disappointed.

I do not like the carrot. Mine has a problem were it has no sensitivity some of the time. Literally will not pick up a coin at a quarter inch sometimes. I sent it back to Garrett and it came back with the same problem, although the problem occurs less frequently.

Rather than send it back again, I just got in the habit of testing it on my digger, and power cycling it if it has the problem. It is an annoyance, tho.

Also, mode 3 (the most sensitive), is unusable. It falses constantly all the time. Never got it to work successfully in real dirt. So, if you are counting on that mode, and your dirt is not completely free of mineralization, you may be disappointed.

Mine does the same thing. Turn it on sometimes and it won't pick up anything at all. Or sometimes it only seems to pick up signals on the side of the shaft and not the tip. Seems like I'm turning it off and back on a number of times in a 2-3 hour detecting session. Can get quite annoying after a while and does not instill much trust in the pinpointer.

The Nokta pulse dive will pair with the Simplex wireless headphones allowing you to hear the pin pointer through your headphones.

So, it's sounding like the Nokta Pulse Dive may be the way to go. Does anybody have any good suggestions of online shops to get one of those from? I'd like to buy local but I don't know of any shops nearby (Russellville, AR area). Don't want to travel too far for a shop either with the ole 'rona roaming about.

Ok, so I've come onto another question. I see there is a Nokta Pointer and the Nokta Makro Pulse Dive Pinpointer. Looks like the Pulse Dive is like you all said in that it pairs wirelessly to the headphones. But, it appears the Nokta Pointer has a wider range of sensitivity settings. Both are roughly the same price point. So, does anyone have any experience with these two and is one recommended over the other?

Ok, so I've come onto another question. I see there is a Nokta Pointer and the Nokta Makro Pulse Dive Pinpointer. Looks like the Pulse Dive is like you all said in that it pairs wirelessly to the headphones. But, it appears the Nokta Pointer has a wider range of sensitivity settings. Both are roughly the same price point. So, does anyone have any experience with these two and is one recommended over the other?

My earlier post was referring to the original pp. I looked into the PD but that thing is the size of a kids baseball bat.

I have four pinpointers now. A red and a black Garrett, a Whites TRX and a Nocta pulsedive.
My TRX is at a friends house, I lost it there but he found it. I need to go get it.
So I am carrying the two garrets and the Nocta (set up as pinpointer, it is a convertible function tool) and comparing them.
My red Garrett has the highest sensitivity between the three I am carrying by far, when it is working correctly. Sometimes it seems to go apesh*t and that might be because of EMI, I'm still trying to figure it out. The black Garrett just works, no problems ever but does not have sensitivity of the red Garrett and I think it is not waterproof.
I can set the sensitivity of the red garrett and it will remember the setting. The black and red Garrett's do not have directional sensitivity, they sense off to the side as well as underneath the tip. The Nocta is the same. The Nocta does not have the sensitivity of the red garrett and does not remember the last setting. It is always reset to low every time I turn it on. It has five levels and at its highest it still can't match the red Garrett.
I love my Whites TRX because it does NOT sense out sideways but only under the tip, true directional capability and I think every pinpointer should be like. When I get it back I will compare sensitivity with the red Garrett.
I've not had any problems with teh black Garrett, the Nocta or the TRX. Only the red Garrett has acted funny on me.

I used to use a Garrett but moved to the Fisher F-Pulse.

It's rugged, highly customizable for a pinpointer with adjustable vibration/beeps/sensitiviy, and deeper than almost all others when set on high.

It's pulse induction, not vlf, and it doesn't interfere with my Simplex whatsoever regardless of settings.

I love my Whites TRX because it does NOT sense out sideways but only under the tip, true directional capability and I think every pinpointer should be like. When I get it back I will compare sensitivity with the red Garrett.
I've not had any problems with teh black Garrett, the Nocta or the TRX. Only the red Garrett has acted funny on me.

I like the idea of directional only. I'd be afraid to buy anything Whites until they figure out what they are doing with the company in case I needed some warranty support.

Just an update:

Through quite a bit of research, I have almost sold myself on the XP Mi-4 pinpointer. I like the features that it comes with and that it is rechargeable. But before I pull the trigger, I wanted to see if anyone had any first-hand experience with it.

In regards to the original post, I feel like the Pulse Dive is just too big and bulky. I still like the Nokta Pinpointer as my second choice but like the sounds of the XP a lot more based on videos I have seen of it.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

One common pinpointer aspect not covered is the wireless sound use. I know it seems most brands have a pinpointer that links up to their brands headphones and detectors. It of course allows the user to hear the sounds in their headphones without everyone else hearing the pinpointer too.

Personally I just received my Pro-Pointer AT with Z-Lynk today and it is amazing. Pairing it to my Z-Lynk system (wireless Z-Lynk headphones can be used, or any wired headphones) was easy and now if I switch On my pinpointer it plays the sounds through my wireless headphones only. Further tests show my headphones actually receive both sounds from my detector and pinpointer seemingly simultaneously too, and also if my detector or transmitter is off. A note about the sound quality, it is much better through the headphones (better speakers), than any tiny onboard pinpointer speaker - even more so when the pinpointer is near the ground or in a hole. :yes:

Just for reference the Z-Lynk system I use works fine on my non-Garrett detectors like my Fisher Labs. It actually prevents me being tied to a detector brand which is great for machine options, and allows me to be wireless where it is not normally a option. I am obviously tied to a Z-Lynk replacement Transmitter or Receiver if something happens.

So in the end I find metal detecting without a pinpointer since getting a pinpointer about a deal breaker. Now that I can hear my pinpointer too in my headphones without everyone else hearing it, I doubt I could go back to just a vibrating pinpointer. :D

Regardless I wish you the best on your decision and HH

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the XP Mi-4. It seemed to have the most features that interest me and is from an obviously reputable company. I ordered it from bigboyshobbies.net. Looking forward to getting it and trying it out.

The XP Mi-4 came in today and I really like it. It feels super sturdy, love the option for pitch or pulse, the rechargeable battery is great. I'm super stoked about this thing and am really looking forward to putting this thing to use. Thanks to everyone for input on this purchase over the last couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom