Thoughts on this shovel

Mike 257

Forum Supporter

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-21-22-29-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-21-22-29-03.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 266
Obviously a Sampson wanna be copy. I have never had an issue with my shovels and I have put all 250lbs of myself into them at times!! I am quite sure you you damage a lesche under normal use and you will be taken care of.

I dont use shovels , but the first thing that strikes me about this shovel is the serrated edge on both sides. Imagine how that "rips" through turf rather than slicing through it. If you simply must have serrated edges and see a need for them thats fine but those edges catch and hang up on grass roots , small tree roots , etc. They make pushing the shovel into the ground a little harder with all that traction on the sides and twice the surface area pushing into the ground than that of a straight edge would be. Even the little teeth on the sides of my handheld digger do this , its really annoying as it hangs up on grass roots and rips and tears at them at times. Without a doubt it would slide into and out of the ground a lot easier without the teeth. The deep downward angle of the teeth on that shovel have got to be doing the same thing. Yeah it would be nice to have a built in saw to cut through tree roots if you needed it , but having a shovel that slides smoothly into the ground and dont get hung up on stuff is a benefit too , a benefit I think a lot of folks dont consider. If I was going to buy a shovel I would prefer one with straight edges , but stout enough and with a little weight at the end so I could "chop" with it if I needed to get through some roots rather than teeth to saw with.........but thats just me. Anyway ,.....there is no right or wrong way to do it , I just brought it up as something to consider.

Thank you Chris, I did end up ordering a Sampson digger that has serrations on one side only. I had the same thoughts as you as far as the serrations hanging up and being a pain to push into the ground. I thought at least having them on one side they will be there if I need them and hopefully not to much of a pain to dig with. Im reading a lot of good reviews on this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-22-16-53-53-2.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-22-16-53-53-2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 223
Thank you Chris, I did end up ordering a Sampson digger that has serrations on one side only. I had the same thoughts as you as far as the serrations hanging up and being a pain to push into the ground. I thought at least having them on one side they will be there if I need them and hopefully not to much of a pain to dig with. Im reading a lot of good reviews on this one.

I use the same one. Flawless!!

Back
Top Bottom