Tools of the trade ...

kc_hhsl

Live in rural Coloradon out on the eastern plains.
Okay ... need some ideas. Sometimes I go out and I feel like mule packing stuff.

What do you use when out - digging tools, what do you carry them in, what do you use to store you uncovered items, etc.?

Hopefully one of you folks will give me some ideas on better ways to detect.

Thanks
KC

I think it largely depends on where you're searching.

I carry a small digger, a BIG digger (shovel actually), and a digging knife; if not for a better term. If (big if because I'm well over a thousand miles from any ocean) I did any beach combing, I suspect I'd carry as sand scoop.

One thing that is absolutely a necessity no matter where you search, is a good pinpointer. The Garrett takes that honor with colors!

Coin probes are nice, but I don''t use one much. I do carry a large neodymium magnet just in case I find a meteorite. It also doubles for holding the aforementioned shovel to my tote. The tote also supports one end of the over-the-shoulder support strap. The other end connects to a short piece of bungie cord attached to the detector shaft.

The other item I don't go without, is a can of mace. Haven't had the need to use it yet, but you never know when you're searching a burned out crack house.

Yes, it all seems like you're carrying the world about with you, but you should keep one thing in mind. Metal detecting is a sport (hobby or whatever), which allows grown men to play in the dirt (or sand as the case may be).

Alan Applegate

I use a Craftsmen tool belt - with built in suspenders. No weight on pants that way. I carry a digger, frisbee (for dirt when in grassy areas), pinpointer, pistol, water jug, three knives, persuader, Predator shovel, two pouches (one for trash, one for goodies) and a secret compartment for super valuables. I wear kneepads, good hiking shoes, jeans. In the car I have bug spray (just in case - since I spend a lot of time in the woods) and extra containers (in case I find a BIG cache). On the beach, I carry the pinpointer, sand scoop, knives and pouches. RickO

Well , ya said ya already feel like a mule packing stuff :lol: You are gonna be doing some walking, standing, stooping , and bending so the less you have on or are carrying the better. Unless you are going way back into the woods or going to be miles from your car you are better off not to be carrying things you "may" need and stick to the basics , carrying only the things you know you will need. Experience will teach you the things you need and the things you dont. Travel as light as possible and keep it simple and your detecting experience will be much more comfortable and thus enjoyable. Just as a suggestion.....I have belt with a pouch and sheath carrying my digger , ( I dont use a pinpointer but thats an option ) , my metal detector , and for 90% of my detecting thats all I need. Depending on the circumstances you may need a bottle of water and a snack or something but when you are gonna spend some time on your feet the question should be , what can I " not " carry , instead of what can I carry.

Pouch for goodies ...

Okay - I do have a belt with a pouch for the tools. I normally gary my knife, a plastic shovel (hand held one). I also carry a small back pack to put the junk in. The back pack is the one item I don't care fore ... so what type of pouches are you guys putting your goodies into.

I'm always digging up a stupid can it seesm, also I do pickup some large metal items at house sites that need to be tossed. Where do you put your trash and where do you put your keepers?

Thanks
KC

I'm new to MD'ing. But so far i have been using a, True temper digger, Old kitchen towel, gloves, BH pinpointer, old shotbag for trash, Extra batteries, Headphones when not in use, all carried in a UTG Multi-functional Tactical Messenger Bag.

Attachments

• utg.jpg
    utg.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 371
I don't ware a belt. I ware suspenders.

I put my digger and my pin pointer in my pocket, then
I get my lucky #7 hat and go for it. When my pocket
gets too full, I will empty it.

If I go relic hunting, or far away from my car,,,, I can
hang my shovel on my belt loop,,,,,, and I use a cloth
.99 cent pouch tied to my front belt loops.

If I have a big shovel or a pick, it goes in my hand.

I don't look like a pack mule.

I look more like a crazy old bald headed fart with a toy
detector,,,,,,
3-15-1.jpg

Lesche digger that sits in this pouch. Dirt falls off it and easy in & out.

Leschesheath.jpg

Small belt pouch for keys and super good finds. Other than that I put the coins & stuff in my levi pocket. steve in so az

if I'm coinshooting I wear overalls. Lesche and probe fit in the tool pocket on the leg, and pin pointer fits in any of the pockets. Carry a small clip on pouch I found at home depot that has a fold over top. Inside are three different pockets. If I'm relic hunting I carry a tool belt that is 8" deep and has a holder for tools built in, snake boots or guards, long sleeve vented back shirt and large brimed hat. Don't use headphones when relic hunting because of rattlers. Already been a couple of locals bitten this year in there yards. both said snakes didn't rattle before striking.

if I'm coinshooting I wear overalls. Lesche and probe fit in the tool pocket on the leg, and pin pointer fits in any of the pockets. Carry a small clip on pouch I found at home depot that has a fold over top. Inside are three different pockets. If I'm relic hunting I carry a tool belt that is 8" deep and has a holder for tools built in, snake boots or guards, long sleeve vented back shirt and large brimed hat. Don't use headphones when relic hunting because of rattlers. Already been a couple of locals bitten this year in there yards. both said snakes didn't rattle before striking.
that goes along with something i read a while back about rattlers. seems like the rattlers are evolving and learning that rattling gets them in trouble..so a lot dont rattle at all these days. <shrug> i dont see enough of them to notice one way or the other lol.

that goes along with something i read a while back about rattlers. seems like the rattlers are evolving and learning that rattling gets them in trouble..so a lot dont rattle at all these days. <shrug> i dont see enough of them to notice one way or the other lol.

I personally haven't come across any this year but it's still early. Have been seeing them on the side of the roads. And big ones at that. Alot of knee high grass and weeds this time of year so alot of caution is taken.

I never like to carry anything that I won't use. My digging knife is in a sheath on my pistol belt with a small pouch for trash and interesting finds. I put coins (up to a quarter) in a mini M&M tube. My pin pointer either goes in my jacket pocket of in a camera pouch on my belt. If you are digging in a park, leave your shovel in the car. If you find you are carrying things and never using them, leave them in the car. You can always go and get them if you need them, You'll wear yourself out carrying a bunch of exta things you don't need or use. It won't take very many hunts to figure out what you need and don't need. You might take a camera so you can show is all of your great finds.

I'm new to MD'ing. But so far i have been using a, True temper digger, Old kitchen towel, gloves, BH pinpointer, old shotbag for trash, Extra batteries, Headphones when not in use, all carried in a UTG Multi-functional Tactical Messenger Bag.

I like that messenger bag. I cant tell from the picture , does it go around your waist or over the shoulder or something ?

lasche, pin pointer "Lesche" 31" Relic Hunter shovel, and pouch that is all I use

Same here. I can't think of carrying or needing much more then what you take out with you. I do carry extra batteries with me depending how far from my truck I go. I also carry a liter of water and a sham-wow towel in my car to wipe down my gear when I'm done.

Ohio guy, I like that bag. Where did you get it? It's kinda like......Tactical to Practical:lol:

They sell them on Amazon.com (Thats where I got mine) or a few other places. It goes over your shoulder.

I just carry a bucket with all my digging tools after the hunt is over I can carry my cans and nails back to my truck, However i am working on eliminating some cans.

Okay - I do have a belt with a pouch for the tools. I normally gary my knife, a plastic shovel (hand held one). I also carry a small back pack to put the junk in. The back pack is the one item I don't care fore ... so what type of pouches are you guys putting your goodies into.

I'm always digging up a stupid can it seesm, also I do pickup some large metal items at house sites that need to be tossed. Where do you put your trash and where do you put your keepers?

Thanks
KC

My junk goes into a 9'' by 12'' pouch that has little holes in it so the dirt comes right out. Keepers go in my gear pouch, kinda tight but I don't usually find many goodies.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom