I’m Down Wit OCC!(Wisconsin Old Coin Contest)

Who down wit OCC? Retroactive to Jan 1,2019,the Wisconsin Old Coin Contest is again at hand! This is your opportunity to scare up some old sites,spank some oldies out of the ground and show that swagger! We all know(especially around here) that getting back to the 1800s is hard enough,not to mention getting far enough back to win this thing! We have had some great coins found and displayed,some being something I could only dream of finding. But the dream is alive!...SOMEBODY found them and that means that they indeed do exist. It isn’t easy,it never will be easy and it’s not easy to win this contest! You have to be dedicated,smart,willing to live outside “da box” or just plain lucky. As always...
1) The coin MUST be found in Wisconsin
2) The coin MUST be identifiable as from a certain age range or have a legible date.
3) Certain tokens which were commonly used in lieu of US currency of the time will be accepted as long as the pre-requisite identifiers are there. I will take the liberty of playing God with this...
4) The contest this year will end on October 31st. Any entries should be posted before this date please!
This is of course my own personal ploy to get people to think about how to advance their own coin hunting. The skills needed to operate any machine proficiently will be needed,as well as thinking about hunting places with history. It is almost a given certainty that fantastic coins will be found,and we should be proud to have found each and every one. 50 years of previous hunters missed that coin,and YOU just found it! I wonder if it’s old enough to win that damn contest...
Good luck to everyone! Hunt legally,be safe,have fun! And post those coins!!:yes:

TO CLARIFY!...The coin must be FOUND in Wisconsin,ANYBODY from ANYWHERE can find it! So if you’re in Illinois and want to skip the border...fair game! You live in Minnesota? Iowa? Guam? Find it in Wisconsin and it’s fair game! We’ve had “clean play” so far,I will expect that it will continue...

Thanks again for the fun challenge. When I think of this while detecting, it really does put me in the "old coin" mindset. I'll be working on that progression thing this year.
But hey, your rules don't even mention using a metal detector. If I were to "find" a really old coin at a Wisconsin coin shop, will that count? Coinstar maybe? With these new, wide open rules, I have a shot at this! :D

I was all ready to post my 1920 wheat penny until you burst my bubble. :(
Good one to kick it off with...1882 is tough to beat in my neck of the woods.[/QUOTE
I have found 2 Indians so far this year and luckily they were both in the 1800's.

Awesome contest! Too bad I never venture up to Wisconsin! Good luck to everyone who enters!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks again for the fun challenge. When I think of this while detecting, it really does put me in the "old coin" mindset. I'll be working on that progression thing this year.
But hey, your rules don't even mention using a metal detector. If I were to "find" a really old coin at a Wisconsin coin shop, will that count? Coinstar maybe? With these new, wide open rules, I have a shot at this! :D

Remember the “God clause”....;)
And....let someone down here know when you have time this spring to do some searching...and pick up Dennis the Groundhog on the way down!

Do Civil War tokens count? Here's mine from two weeks ago, 1863.

Attachments

• 000_0503 (2).jpg
    000_0503 (2).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 000_0504 (2).jpg
    000_0504 (2).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 350
Do Civil War tokens count? Here's mine from two weeks ago, 1863.

Indeed that DOES qualify Mick! When tokens were made due to a shortage of federal coinage in the vicinity,they will be included as “coins”.
And with that....you are the current front runner! Congrats!

Remember the “God clause”....;)

And....let someone down here know when you have time this spring to do some searching...and pick up Dennis the Groundhog on the way down!

Anytime! I'm ready for a road trip anytime! Congrats jack&jill on your big win! Thanks Kevin for putting this on each year. I look forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a night when I had not expected a whole lot, life had a few surprises, Do to other priorities I was unable to get out until late in the day. Knowing of a very small sidewalk tearout (2 buildings long) I figured I could hit that, be done in less than a half hour then go over to the school that provided the worn Barber Quarter a couple of weeks back. Had one of my best outings of this year. The tearout provided me the first surprise, a qualifying coin for this contest. At least for now. It was the only good target I dug on the site. My first Seated Coin of 2019 is a 1858 Quarter. It is worn a bit and it came out of the ground with a blackened covering so much so that I could not read the date until I got it home and cleaned. Oh the rest of the surprise evening was when I got to the school there was a abundance of people on the site for some after school activities so I could not hunt the area I had planned. I scanned the site for a section that I would not interfere with the doings. Not 30 feet from where I was in the parking lot is a large hill that borders the lot. So I said to myself why not. After digging a wheat on the first hole I decided to make a effort. I went home 2 hours later with a dozen Wheat's and 3 Silver Rosie's. Trapper

Attachments

• 5-14-19 1 .jpg
    5-14-19 1 .jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 5-14-19 2 .jpg
    5-14-19 2 .jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 239
Granddaughter in Wausau would enjoy this. She's waiting to get out of school for the year and go with Gpa. I'm only 60 miles north of the border too. Nice contest!

This did just get substantially tougher by 5 years. Once we start getting into the 1850s around here it stops very suddenly. 1840s is a hell of a task!
That’s a stellar find there Trapper,I’m glad to see you still have something to find over there!:yes:

My farm field 1891 V nickel was beaten by just about all in this thread but chiming in anyways!

Go get those old goodies fellow Badgers!

Just to confirm the coin, has to be found in WI?

Is there a 5 mile leeway? Lol

Back
Top Bottom