Practical Detector use. OUCH!!!

Personally, I side with Gauntlet on this. My hard and fast rule is, always, without fail drop the mag and check the chamber(s). I can be at a gun shop, and want to look at something. I will watch the clerk clear and safe the weapon, and as soon as it's in my hands, I do the same thing. Drop mag, clear chamber, safety on. I have no idea if that clerk actually knows what he's doing, and as the gun's in my hands, that makes me the responsible one.
I'm sorry for your brother's error, but the physics of weapons are quite unforgiving of mistakes.

Roger

Yes, once the shot is fired it is too late. He is as careful and knowledgeable about firearms as anyone, but he was forgetful one time ....but one time too many.

I understand your view point but,It not ridiculous, it life. And that's how all Glocks are made. That's also what I thought before it happened. No matter how many times you repeat that in your head you can always forget one time. If it happens to police men and military it can happen to anyone. But you are right, it could have been avoided.

I'm over 60 years old, and have carried for more than 40 of those. In all those years, know how many negligent discharges I've had, or how many times I "forgot" to unload a weapon prior to cleaning it? NONE

OK, what you're telling everyone here, is Glocks are impossible to unload.

That's what you're saying?

Please, don't handle another weapon until you get some training, and ditto for your brother. Seriously. I don't know where your parents are in all this, but I hope and pray they never have to face a parents worst nightmare.

You and your brother are statistics waiting to happen. Your brother has already become one, fortunately only as "wounded". This is insane.

Yes, once the shot is fired it is too late. He is as careful and knowledgeable about firearms as anyone, but he was forgetful one time ....but one time too many.

Unbelievable.

I wished I knew where you lived, I'd have the Sheriff pay you a visit.

Yes, once the shot is fired it is too late.

Unfortunately, this is the only statement you've mentioned that makes some sense. Your brother should be very grateful he didnt kill himself or someone else.

Here's to his quick recovery and re-education. I, for one, am not interested in any pictures.

definitely good rules. But he was using a glock, and to take the slide off any glocks you have to pinch 2 tabs on the side then pull the trigger. That is the biggest complaint most people have with glocks. I know allot of ex-military guys that have done the same thing, it is easy to forget . That being said....i doubt he will ever forget to check any gun again.:grin:

the glock is horrable for that, that's one of the reasons the police dpt. Here in baltimore stoped useing them. Hope he is doing well. Prayers .

Unbelievable.

I wished I knew where you lived, I'd have the Sheriff pay you a visit.

The sherrif already came when the ambulance showed up. He said it happens and to learn from our mistake. I started this thread to warn and remind other members about the danger, not to have hateful comments from the very people/ person I was trying to warn and help. My uncle was a marine and my other uncle a police officer, they say that smart people sometimes make stupid mistakes. We learned our lesson ans God protected us. It will never happen again I can guarantee you. By the way, this is supposed to be a friendly forum.

I never said he did the smart thing. He made a mistake but we learned from it.

the glock is horrable for that, that's one of the reasons the police dpt. Here in baltimore stoped useing them. Hope he is doing well. Prayers .

He is doing better now. Thank you for your polite comment.

Thats a good rule.Thats our rule too. Buy alas..he forgot.. But never again

It's been over a hundred years since my 3x great uncle was killed by an "unloaded" gun. Shot by his brother putting guns away after a hunt. Some in the family say it was also the day his father died, he just wasn't buried for 20 years. Most of the family members that taught me gun safety weren't even born when it happened, but it has been the emphasis for gun safety in my family ever since. I hope this incident can help keep your family safe for the next hundred years as well. Best wishes for your brother for a speedy recovery.

It's been over a hundred years since my 3x great uncle was killed by an "unloaded" gun. Shot by his brother putting guns away after a hunt. Some in the family say it was also the day his father died, he just wasn't buried for 20 years. Most of the family members that taught me gun safety weren't even born when it happened, but it has been the emphasis for gun safety in my family ever since. I hope this incident can help keep your family safe for the next hundred years as well. Best wishes for your brother for a speedy recovery.

Agreed, this is also the very first incident our family has had in the family's remembered history. Hopefully the last as well. Glad we learned on something as non-lethal as a leg wound. We both knew what to do, he just forgot. It wasn't a training issue it was a stupid, one-time , mistake.

Gauntlet, Please stop attacking my brother.
I have never had an ACCIDENTAL discharge either so you have no business "educating" me. I am as safe as anyone else. And I
DO know people( most of them military and police) who have had accidental discharge.

Geez Gauntlet, I think it's time to give it a rest. The guy posted on here to bring awareness. It happens, I think we all know better but we all make mistakes. Just happy that nobody was killed or seriously injured.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent 14 years in retail. I sold hundreds, maybe thousands, of firearms. I never pick up a firearm without verifying that it is unloaded.

Glocks are no more difficult to check to see if they are unloaded than any other semi-auto. Drop the dang Mag and pull back on the slide and visually check Once you have checked then you proceed to disassemble. But not until you have verified that the weapon is Not Loaded.

Yes I also checked when the customer handed me back the weapon. I never EVER assume that a firearm is unloaded.

Yes George, I totally agree. That is what we do and have done since ever. But... He thought he had already checked it... only happened one time.....but one time too many. I'm Not excusing it, I am explaining it.

Geez Gauntlet, I think it's time to give it a rest. The guy posted on here to bring awareness. It happens, I think we all know better but we all make mistakes. Just happy that nobody was killed or seriously injured.

Agreed here. USA I hope your brother recovers quickly, and don't let the above post bother you. We are all humans, and being human means mistakes are going to be made. Some of these mistakes may be mistakes we can laugh at after making them while others can be major and life changing mistakes. They happen, and they happen regardless of how careful "you think you are".

Just my opinion here, but the mistake made by your brother is no different than sitting at a stop sign in your vehicle and making the mistake of not taking the time to look for the car speeding down the road in your path because you were late for work, or whatever it may be you're late for........something as simple as not looking twice because your train of thought got sidetracked results in pulling out in front of the speeding car and potentially getting you killed.

WE ALL HAVE BEEN THERE!!! Keep us updated buddy, please!!!

Agreed here. USA I hope your brother recovers quickly, and don't let the above post bother you. We are all humans, and being human means mistakes are going to be made. Some of these mistakes may be mistakes we can laugh at after making them while others can be major and life changing mistakes. They happen, and they happen regardless of how careful "you think you are".

Just my opinion here, but the mistake made by your brother is no different than sitting at a stop sign in your vehicle and making the mistake of not taking the time to look for the car speeding down the road in your path because you were late for work, or whatever it may be you're late for........something as simple as not looking twice because your train of thought got sidetracked results in pulling out in front of the speeding car and potentially getting you killed.

WE ALL HAVE BEEN THERE!!! Keep us updated buddy, please!!!

Thank you for the polite, reasonable comment. He is home now and will be off his feet till 2019. The surgeon said that if the bullet would have been 1 inch higher he would have lost the leg.:no: I am glad that nothing life-threatening happened and we now have a serious wake up call about gun safety. I am confident that that will never happen again with us. God protected us and we learned our lesson.

Thank you for the polite, reasonable comment. He is home know and will be off his feet till 2019. The surgeon said that if the bullet would have been 1 inch higher he would have lost the leg.:no: I am glad that nothing life-threatening happened and we now have a serious wake up call about gun safety. I am confident that that will never happen again with us. God protected us and we learned our lesson.

Glad to hear he is home, and hate to hear he will spend some time off of his feet. Lessons will always be learned......some the hard way some not so hard. I have always been hard headed and seem to always learn the hard way.

Again brother so glad he is ok, and I'm going to try to make sure I watch myself at stop signs on the way home no lol. :laughing:

Glad to hear he is home, and hate to hear he will spend some time off of his feet. Lessons will always be learned......some the hard way some not so hard. I have always been hard headed and seem to always learn the hard way.

Again brother so glad he is ok, and I'm going to try to make sure I watch myself at stop signs on the way home no lol. :laughing:

Thanks. You make sure you do that.lol:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom