Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2018, 10:54 AM
Jburkes80's Avatar
Jburkes80 Jburkes80 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sussex VA
Posts: 123
Default NEL Storm for AT Pro

Just ordered my Storm coil. Anyone have suggestions or tips for using it compared to stock coil !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
Jonas
Newbie - Garrett Ace 150 / Garrett AT PRO / Garrett Carrot

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 03-21-2018, 11:14 AM
bubbaron bubbaron is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lower Schuylkill Co. PA
Posts: 1,248
Smile Good Coil

Hi,
I'm using the Garrett 8 " x 6 " coil on my AT Pro. I really like this coil and it swings very easily. I found a lot of coins that my stock coil was not hitting on.
It seems to be deeper and also good in trashy areas. I think you'll be happy with the coil you mentioned. Run your AT Pro in Pro-Zero mode with 2 notches from full sensitivity. Does a great job dirt digging for coins and jewelry.
Want some snow ??? Free !!!
Bubbaron Nox 600. AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer, 8 x 6 " Garrett Coil
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 03-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Heymirth's Avatar
Heymirth Heymirth is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Just north of Detroit MI
Posts: 56
Default

Shorten your shaft a notch or 2 to help with the Tennis Elbow you may encounter after 3 months of swinging it

I have the same setup and had to take 3 months off

__________________
Equinox 600; Garrett Pro Pointer AT and various diggers.
Clad so far. $2018 total- $28.60
Oldest Coin- 1871 Canadian 5cent Piece
Silver-12

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 AM
pacomdiver pacomdiver is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2
Default

bubbaron,
are you talking about the 5x8 DD coil or another one?
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 03-21-2018, 12:11 PM
markinswpa's Avatar
markinswpa markinswpa is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 1,725
Default

I have one for my AT Pro. They are great, goes deep. I was digging fired 22 lead and 3/16 washers at 11-12 inches. You will dig more for sure. HH Mark

__________________
_______________
AT PRO--ETRAC-- EQ.800
2019 -Silver 43-IHPs19-Wheaties 225 Tokens 25
Buffs 13 -V nick 7- Sterling 3 Clad- 99.68

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 03-21-2018, 12:12 PM
John-Edmonton's Avatar
John-Edmonton John-Edmonton is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Way up North, Canada
Posts: 1,877
Default

Originally Posted by bubbaron View post
Hi,
I'm using the Garrett 8 " x 6 " coil on my AT Pro. I really like this coil and it swings very easily. I found a lot of coins that my stock coil was not hitting on.
It seems to be deeper and also good in trashy areas. I think you'll be happy with the coil you mentioned. Run your AT Pro in Pro-Zero mode with 2 notches from full sensitivity. Does a great job dirt digging for coins and jewelry.
Want some snow ??? Free !!!
Bubbaron Nox 600. AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer, 8 x 6 " Garrett Coil
Are you maybe referring to the 6.5" x 9" concentric coil? I have been using it for about 5 months and am really impressed with it's depth. Beats the 5" x 8" DD in my locations. Separation is good and ID's most bottle caps as junk, compared to using DD coils which ID them as coins.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=255097
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Jburkes80's Avatar
Jburkes80 Jburkes80 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sussex VA
Posts: 123
Default

Originally Posted by bubbaron View post
Hi,
I'm using the Garrett 8 " x 6 " coil on my AT Pro. I really like this coil and it swings very easily. I found a lot of coins that my stock coil was not hitting on.
It seems to be deeper and also good in trashy areas. I think you'll be happy with the coil you mentioned. Run your AT Pro in Pro-Zero mode with 2 notches from full sensitivity. Does a great job dirt digging for coins and jewelry.
Want some snow ??? Free !!!
Bubbaron Nox 600. AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer, 8 x 6 " Garrett Coil
I have the 5x8 for my Pro and it's great. This is going to be for less trashy civil war fields. I almost always run Pro Zero ! Thanks bubbaron

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

__________________
Jonas
Newbie - Garrett Ace 150 / Garrett AT PRO / Garrett Carrot

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Jburkes80's Avatar
Jburkes80 Jburkes80 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sussex VA
Posts: 123
Default

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
I have one for my AT Pro. They are great, goes deep. I was digging fired 22 lead and 3/16 washers at 11-12 inches. You will dig more for sure. HH Mark
Thanks Mark ! hh

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

__________________
Jonas
Newbie - Garrett Ace 150 / Garrett AT PRO / Garrett Carrot

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:09 PM
Jburkes80's Avatar
Jburkes80 Jburkes80 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sussex VA
Posts: 123
Default

Originally Posted by Heymirth View post
Shorten your shaft a notch or 2 to help with the Tennis Elbow you may encounter after 3 months of swinging it

I have the same setup and had to take 3 months off
Thanks for the tip. I won't be using it all the time. I've heard it's heavy.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

__________________
Jonas
Newbie - Garrett Ace 150 / Garrett AT PRO / Garrett Carrot

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:27 PM
bubbaron bubbaron is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lower Schuylkill Co. PA
Posts: 1,248
Default

Yes, It's the 5 x 8 " DD Garrett coil, Works great for me here in N. East PA soil.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 PM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,437
Default

Hoover boys on YouTube really do great with that storm coil..not sure if you watch the videos.if not you should..they tear it up with the Garrett at pro
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Jburkes80's Avatar
Jburkes80 Jburkes80 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sussex VA
Posts: 123
Default

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
Hoover boys on YouTube really do great with that storm coil..not sure if you watch the videos.if not you should..they tear it up with the Garrett at pro
I've seen almost every video ! I know Kurt used the Storm for a long time and loved it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

__________________
Jonas
Newbie - Garrett Ace 150 / Garrett AT PRO / Garrett Carrot

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:27 AM
MrLostAndFound's Avatar
MrLostAndFound MrLostAndFound is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: SoCal
Posts: 278
Default

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
i have one for my at pro. They are great, goes deep. I was digging fired 22 lead and 3/16 washers at 11-12 inches. You will dig more for sure. Hh mark
😁

__________________
2019: 34 Rings,31 Earrings,1 Tungsten,4 Gold,10 Silvers,6 Wheats,7 Tokens,21 Foreign,21 Pendants,9 Keys,6 Returns,Oldest Coin Found 1917

Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Pioneer, Bounty Hunter Ex

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:08 AM
campnagle's Avatar
campnagle campnagle is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 816
Default

I have the 5x8 and love that thing but am a little worried about depth loss. Thinking about a nel hunter

__________________
"Protect and Enjoy Your National Forests"
Fisher F 70 Nel Hunter, AT Pro straight shaft, Ace 400

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 06-23-2019, 09:26 PM
MrLostAndFound's Avatar
MrLostAndFound MrLostAndFound is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: SoCal
Posts: 278
Default

Originally Posted by campnagle View post
I have the 5x8 and love that thing but am a little worried about depth loss. Thinking about a nel hunter

I am feeling the same way. I only have the 5x8 i really want another 5"

__________________
2019: 34 Rings,31 Earrings,1 Tungsten,4 Gold,10 Silvers,6 Wheats,7 Tokens,21 Foreign,21 Pendants,9 Keys,6 Returns,Oldest Coin Found 1917

Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Pioneer, Bounty Hunter Ex

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:37 AM
campnagle's Avatar
campnagle campnagle is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 816
Default

My concern is the weight.
The balance with just the 5 x 8 was so bad I went with a straight shaft.
It is useable now with minimal comfort but add the weight of a hunter coil I don't think it would be.
So now I use my f70 when a bigger footprint is needed and use the atp for surgical work.
I can hike and swing both for hours now the way I have them set up.

__________________
"Protect and Enjoy Your National Forests"
Fisher F 70 Nel Hunter, AT Pro straight shaft, Ace 400

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 06-24-2019, 03:41 PM
MrLostAndFound's Avatar
MrLostAndFound MrLostAndFound is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: SoCal
Posts: 278
Default

Originally Posted by campnagle View post
My concern is the weight.
The balance with just the 5 x 8 was so bad I went with a straight shaft.
It is useable now with minimal comfort but add the weight of a hunter coil I don't think it would be.
So now I use my f70 when a bigger footprint is needed and use the atp for surgical work.
I can hike and swing both for hours now the way I have them set up.

I have never thought the ATP with 5x8 was heavy. To me it seems very light weight. Maybe if I tried a few other lighter detectors then I would have a different feeling but I am 6' tall and pull tap proof. I have no problem swinging the 5x8 for 10 hours plus none stop. The only thing that hurts is my fingers the next day. They get very stiff kinda like shooters finger. I would be willing to use a bigger coil I can only swing for 5 hours if I can clear twice the area in half the time. Just my 2 cents. Happy Hunting and Gold Luck.

__________________
2019: 34 Rings,31 Earrings,1 Tungsten,4 Gold,10 Silvers,6 Wheats,7 Tokens,21 Foreign,21 Pendants,9 Keys,6 Returns,Oldest Coin Found 1917

Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Pioneer, Bounty Hunter Ex

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 06-24-2019, 04:06 PM
campnagle's Avatar
campnagle campnagle is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 816
Default

Not the weight, it's the balance to me. The stock shaft is small and the arm cuff is to close to my wrist, not back by my elbow where it needs to be.
I found a old thread that a member here made a extension called a " Garrett gizmo" and a video that showed the problem of the short cuff placement.
I tried to get one but the thread was several years old so I got an Anderson straight shaft. I'm impressed and like the machine but again found the balance terrible for my use.

__________________
"Protect and Enjoy Your National Forests"
Fisher F 70 Nel Hunter, AT Pro straight shaft, Ace 400


Last edited by campnagle; 06-24-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 PM
MrLostAndFound's Avatar
MrLostAndFound MrLostAndFound is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: SoCal
Posts: 278
Default

Originally Posted by campnagle View post
Not the weight, it's the balance to me. The stock shaft is small and the arm cuff is to close to my wrist, not back by my elbow where it needs to be.
I found a old thread that a member here made a extension called a " Garrett gizmo" and a video that showed the problem of the short cuff placement.
I tried to get one but the thread was several years old so I got an Anderson straight shaft. I'm impressed and like the machine but again found the balance terrible for my use.

I should be getting a new detector here in a few weeks. I wonder if I will feel a big change then. My biggest complaint would have to be the grip. I have a big hand and can not really grip the little thingi find myself trying to hold it with my bottom 3 fingers and using the top two to sway the housing. Not sure if that makes sense but it works for me. Even after I get the new detector I plan to finish building the at out with a new coil and straight shaft and a sticker job. It was a blessing for me to get this unit but I feel I have out grown it on a few levels. Still a great unit that will find things over and over again. It paid for itself in the first 15 days.

__________________
2019: 34 Rings,31 Earrings,1 Tungsten,4 Gold,10 Silvers,6 Wheats,7 Tokens,21 Foreign,21 Pendants,9 Keys,6 Returns,Oldest Coin Found 1917

Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Pioneer, Bounty Hunter Ex

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.