Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 PM

Default Had some time on my hands---Mark 1

I own a hip mount version with the square tube straight shaft with the 7" coil with the single coil ear.

I picked up from Frank S. his painted 10" Mark 1 coil, works great. Only problem it is the newer coil with the two coil ears and would not fit the lower rod of the square shaft clevis. I know KW has the right clevis cheap, just too much of a headache to acquire.

Had a brain spark-------------there has to be an alternative---------

Decided to make up another straight shaft set-up, had a carbon fiber handle set-up all ready made from last year for my water PI. Thought I would use it until I found out I cemented the Fisher CZ20 handle to the shaft, just like Fisher does.
So that idea of using the carbon fiber set-up went out the window (super Light weight).

Looked around, good thing i have a small stash of older used parts. Found a brand new CZ20 handle, and lower rod, found a Fisher 1280X straight shaft set-up, found a Garrett toggle switch just like the Mark 1's. It was now play time.
Found some coiled wire from a set of defunct Killer B's headphones. Spotted a cable gland and a stereo plug in my other parts box.

Milled out the solid handle to fit the toggle and run wire down thru it. The wire then soldered to the headphone cord that exited out the rear of the straight shaft thru a cable gland. Basically matches the Tek Mark 1 stock set-up.
Works great, with the 10" coil attached feels super light weight and you can swing the coil from side to side with ease.

Now I have two straight shaft set-ups so I can quickly switch from coil to coil.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Supporter

Thats really Cool! You have given me a brain spark too Sven!....Thank you!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Supporter

Smile

Congrats . Very innovative. HH

Old 02-15-2017, 10:57 AM
Elite Member

That looks similar to the shaft on my old Tek 9000 hip mount. The hip mount on my old Tek 8500 also had the pinpoint mode on the handle but it was a pain because that made two different cables for the detector. . .the coil and the pinpoint. When I had George Payne take my 9000 back to the factory to convert it to a hip mount, I was surprised to see that it only had the coil cable. The pinpoint button was moved to the detector itself. I like that a lot better.
Name:  Tek Shaft.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  25.5 KB

Old 02-15-2017, 04:34 PM
Elite Member

Very cool mod!

Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
That looks similar to the shaft on my old Tek 9000 hip mount. The hip mount on my old Tek 8500 also had the pinpoint mode on the handle but it was a pain because that made two different cables for the detector. . .the coil and the pinpoint. When I had George Payne take my 9000 back to the factory to convert it to a hip mount, I was surprised to see that it only had the coil cable. The pinpoint button was moved to the detector itself. I like that a lot better.
Attachment 376389
I always like a handle mounted toggle/button, what I am used to. Since I chest mounted my Tek, the extra wire is not a problem for me. I generally carry my digging tool in my left hand so its ready to use. I also tend to switch back and forth between modes, the handle mounted toggle is very convenient for me.

The control box mount might be a better option for the 9000?

Old 02-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Sven View post
I always like a handle mounted toggle/button, what I am used to. Since I chest mounted my Tek, the extra wire is not a problem for me. I generally carry my digging tool in my left hand so its ready to use. I also tend to switch back and forth between modes, the handle mounted toggle is very convenient for me.

The control box mount might be a better option for the 9000?
I wear it on my left side on a belt. My hand usually rests on the box right above the button. The only loose cable is the coil cable. For a old detector it still finds coins. Could probably use a tune up since I don't believe it has the depth that it used to. I actually found a Barber dime at 12' with it but the conditions were perfect. I have never found anything else that deep with any of my other detectors.
Name:  Tek 9000.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  123.7 KB