More Underwater Fun and Step 1 Complete

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Got a text last night about a pair of persecution glasses that went swimming off a dock in Bay City. A two hour drive for me. Offered me an amount I couldn't refuse. So this morning I was off to freeze again. At least I found my hooded vest on Thursday. Got to the dock and suited up. 12' of pitch black water of course. Took me about 10 minutes but I was able to recover them. He had them on his boat and was power washing the dock. Turned around with the power washer and they went flying.

While there I got a call about a yard flooding in St Clair Shores. Wanted me to plug a pipe in a canal that was a bit over 6' deep. So a 3 hour drive south to do that and back home. It was a great day to play even though the water is very cold still. His thermometer said it was 46°.

Anyway, got one of my practice bombs back from the sandblasting. Now for a bit of Bondo and then off to have new fins installed I think. Still debating that one. Bomb is in great shape except for a few small holes in the aluminum, one fin broke off and the tip of a fin rusted off.

I was told that Bondo could not be powder coated so it looks like I am going to have an industrial paint put on them. Just haven't found the color scheme for them yet. I don't like the yellow ones. Mark 1 practice bombs of WW1 are rare. One sold on fee-bay for 400.00 and it doesn't exactly look like mine.

For new people, you are looking at a 1917 Mark 1 practice bomb dropped from bi-planes before WW1. Found in lake St. Clair Michigan. It is 38 inches long and is a rare find for most. I found 6 so far.

That is a very cool find! On another note, how long have you been diving? Something I have thought about; I have an uncle that dives and he enjoys it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was certified in 1985 and eventually got my instructor's rating. I wish I was still able to do it. I've done that 40° water diving and zero vis too but not at the same time. Neither was fun but it was necessary. I envy you being able to dive where you can metal detect. That would be fun.

Cliff

Some guy contacted you and paid you big money to drive 2hrs one way, tank up, go down into zero vis Michigan COLD and retrieve his lost prescription glasses? Big money like about $1000 right?

DANG! What were the lenses made out of? Russian Diopside? What were the frames made out of? The rib Bones of St Peter?

I'm also curious about getting paid to PLUG a pipe! My Mother in Law can do that all day long! I dont understand how a guy can get paid for plugging a pipe though? Most folks will pay a guy to unplug pipes, so this is curious and possibly a way for me to make some extra money if I get some details and tote out my MIL on such a situation?....

Nice bomb though...I'd give it a spritz of flat olive drab......

Good to see you are making money Dee! Hilarious the situations you get yourself into and out of! Love it!

That bomb is just so cool! Looking forward to your final paint scheme.

That's one expensive pair of glasses! And the bomb is looking good!

Very expensive pair. Bifocals and he needed a newq prescription. His dr couldn't get him in till the 13th. He had me try them on and I couldn't see a thing. He had to have them.

Mud, the lake is overflowing and his land is lower than his canal. Nothing would drain off his property. I plugged the pipe so he could put a sump pump in a crock in his backyard and drain it. Seemed to work just fine.

good job scuba i hope to do some diving this year i live on a lake how do you get the jobs i would like to try recoveries for people if you could PM me some ideas if thats ok thanks mark actually im close to 4 or five lakes just thinking of a way to make some extra $$

good job scuba i hope to do some diving this year i live on a lake how do you get the jobs i would like to try recoveries for people if you could PM me some ideas if thats ok thanks mark actually im close to 4 or five lakes just thinking of a way to make some extra $$

IF you have marina's , take them business cards. BUT FIRST, are you comfortable in absolutely pitch black water under docks and boats? This is not for the divers that need to see. Only for divers that are very comfortable and secure knowing what they are doing. Some things are easy like boat canvas and windows. Others are a challenge like glasses and wallets. You need to move very very slow and feel with your hands. VERY CAREFULLY. Lots of glass and other weird stuff underwater you can't see.

IF you have marina's , take them business cards. BUT FIRST, are you comfortable in absolutely pitch black water under docks and boats? This is not for the divers that need to see. Only for divers that are very comfortable and secure knowing what they are doing. Some things are easy like boat canvas and windows. Others are a challenge like glasses and wallets. You need to move very very slow and feel with your hands. VERY CAREFULLY. Lots of glass and other weird stuff underwater you can't see.

thanks very much robert appreciate it

the-adventures of scuba-hunter. The md'r/scuba sherlock holmes mysteries solved. This is what it's all about. Thanx for sharing !

New fins are being laser cut and will be done in a couple of weeks. I hope to have the body done at the same time so I can put this critter back together. Hopefully soon you will see the final results

Back
Top Bottom