Been a while lol

Apophis

Been I while since I have posted in here lol. I just moved to Florida and am planning on hitting a beach around Tampa tomorrow ish. Does anyone know of any sneaky rules that apply in Florida that I need to be aware of not finding much online. Thank you!

Welcome and yes there are some major rules down here in Miami-Dade County. You must have been a Florida resident for at least 10 years before you're allowed a license to detect on Miami Beach.

You can detect anywhere on Florida beaches from the foot of the dunes to the waterline except for the following.

In state parks - check each park before going as the rules are different (though they should not be) at each park. Their own web site states detecting on coastal beaches is allowed from the foot of the dunes to the waterline unless it's an active and ongoing archaeological dig site. This has been stretched as far as one can stretch it by some rangers. This law was intended to mean 'You can't detect from the foot of the dunes to the waterline if there's an active ongoing archaeological dig going on. Some rangers have pushed this to mean they can stop detecting on the beach for any reason whatsoever. If you call around each park ranger may tell you a different reason why you can't detect from "We have turtles that nest here, to I don't like detecting because of the take nothing leave nothing rules, to a ship uncovered here years ago but is reburied so you can't dig." ETC... The head of the state parks in Florida wants uniformity at all of the parks. This currently is not happening but I'm working, as well as other people are working, to get this fixed. Any area of the beach were metal detecting is not allowed is a hazard in my opinion as trash accumulates in the sand from needles, to knives, broken bottles, massive amounts of aluminum and other trash which can be harmful to anyone digging for fun in the sand, such as a child and or wild life itself including the protected turtles and birds. I suggest calling each state park and asking what the rules are. Some presently only allow it on the wet sand, some not at all and others follow their own rules and allow it from the foot of the dunes to the waterline.

Federal parks - no detecting at all! Careful here as it's a possible $20,000 fine and possible taking of your equipment, vehicle and even jail time if this one is broken.

Some places will tell you the beaches are private. This is not true. The Florida Supreme court ruled that the beaches belong to the people and that anything normal and customary is okay from the foot of the dunes to the waterline. Though the property owner owns to the mean high tide line, which is the average high tide line for the last 20 or 30 years (I forget which) they can not stop you from doing normal and customary things usually done on the beach. In exchange, if someone is hurt while doing something usual and customary above the mean high tide line, the property own is not liable in most instances.

Also MANY counties have laws because of the nesting turtles that you MUST FILL IN YOUR HOLES when digging.

Florida has HUGE antiquity laws. Anything found in the ground or water that has been in the ground or water for over 50 years potentially belongs to the state and it is illegal to keep them including fossils with the exception of sharks teeth.

Anyways, this is my understanding.
I hesitate to even press post at this point as this may open a huge debate AGAIN....

You can detect anywhere on Florida beaches from the foot of the dunes to the waterline except for the following.

In state parks - check each park before going as the rules are different (though they should not be) at each park. Their own web site states detecting on coastal beaches is allowed from the foot of the dunes to the waterline unless it's an active and ongoing archaeological dig site. This has been stretched as far as one can stretch it by some rangers. This law was intended to mean 'You can't detect from the foot of the dunes to the waterline if there's an active ongoing archaeological dig going on. Some rangers have pushed this to mean they can stop detecting on the beach for any reason whatsoever. If you call around each park ranger may tell you a different reason why you can't detect from "We have turtles that nest here, to I don't like detecting because of the take nothing leave nothing rules, to a ship uncovered here years ago but is reburied so you can't dig." ETC... The head of the state parks in Florida wants uniformity at all of the parks. This currently is not happening but I'm working, as well as other people are working, to get this fixed. Any area of the beach were metal detecting is not allowed is a hazard in my opinion as trash accumulates in the sand from needles, to knives, broken bottles, massive amounts of aluminum and other trash which can be harmful to anyone digging for fun in the sand, such as a child and or wild life itself including the protected turtles and birds. I suggest calling each state park and asking what the rules are. Some presently only allow it on the wet sand, some not at all and others follow their own rules and allow it from the foot of the dunes to the waterline.

Federal parks - no detecting at all! Careful here as it's a possible $20,000 fine and possible taking of your equipment, vehicle and even jail time if this one is broken.

Some places will tell you the beaches are private. This is not true. The Florida Supreme court ruled that the beaches belong to the people and that anything normal and customary is okay from the foot of the dunes to the waterline. Though the property owner owns to the mean high tide line, which is the average high tide line for the last 20 or 30 years (I forget which) they can not stop you from doing normal and customary things usually done on the beach. In exchange, if someone is hurt while doing something usual and customary above the mean high tide line, the property own is not liable in most instances.

Also MANY counties have laws because of the nesting turtles that you MUST FILL IN YOUR HOLES when digging.

Florida has HUGE antiquity laws. Anything found in the ground or water that has been in the ground or water for over 50 years potentially belongs to the state and it is illegal to keep them including fossils with the exception of sharks teeth.

I hesitate to even press post at this point as this may open a huge debate AGAIN....

So no wading?

So no wading?

Good question! Many wade and even dive. You'll read laws where it says you can't break the ground under water looking for artifacts etc and people have stretched that to mean you can't detect at all. In most cases, you can. We are looking for gold rings, not artifacts per say. If you happen to find an artifact, report it and leave it right where you found it. (is what you should do)

Sweet! Thank you for the info I will continue to look at the rules! I have not hunted a beach in almost three years and I have the itch big time lol. I’m glad I’m out of my self imposed west Texas exile.

Welcome and yes there are some major rules down here in Miami-Dade County. You must have been a Florida resident for at least 10 years before you're allowed a license to detect on Miami Beach.
LOL!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Nice informative post Kapi, thanks. If I ever get to FL this will be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom