Base housing .... more silver

jbkelly3

Elite Member
Back at the base housing units today ... working the last of two front yards left on site. It has been getting to be thin pickings as an old southern gentleman might have said ..... but I did pick one nice little item out today along with the required wheat and clad. Size 5 or 6 silver ring, missing a couple of 'stones' that are more than likely CZ at best. Still beats nothing .... and leaves that great question in my mind .... "what's next?"

Attachments

• Ring #6. 31 May 14.JPG
    Ring #6. 31 May 14.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 252
  • Ring 6, brushed off only.JPG
    Ring 6, brushed off only.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 251
  • ring 6 .... rinsed and scrubbed.JPG
    ring 6 .... rinsed and scrubbed.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Ring 6 ... cleaned up nice!.JPG
    Ring 6 ... cleaned up nice!.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 258
You're hunting on a military base?! I was under the impression from a veteran that military installations were impossible to hunt! Where are you hunting at??

This is a former military base .... inactive since 1971. An active base is still off limits.

This is a former military base .... inactive since 1971. An active base is still off limits.

Not necessarily true...some active military bases will allow you to hunt their housing/other areas. I found around 30 silvers at my last location (Wheeler AAF/Schofield Barracks) in under 7 months. You need to talk with the MP/DES desk personal to confirm whether or not they will allow you to MD. My current location, Carlisle Barracks, gave me permission to hunt but withdrew it after about month due to the historical nature of the post (I still found a few silvers during the 1 month period :D).

HH and good luck! Congrats on the ring!

Congrats on the Silver Ring. This site has been very good for you, providing a lot of great finds. As you finish the last areas on this site, please look at that complete site again. Regridding it from a different direction, and slowing your approach with it. There might be more there that you may find, that has been my experience.

I've found silver in hunted out parks and sites by regridding and approaching from different directions. Congrats on the site and all your finds and successes so far. Jack

You're hunting on a military base?! I was under the impression from a veteran that military installations were impossible to hunt! Where are you hunting at??

I’ve hunted a number of active bases. Never been told it’s off limits unless it’s clearly a historical base. I.e. Ft Monroe VA. You can get permission, but its tough and most are programmed to say "No"

Provost Marshall, Security Forces or base historian can normally approve hunts on open base property, such as parade grounds. Public parks or schools on base have never been an issue. Base Housing is typically maintained by a private contractor, resident can authorize a hunt on his assigned property.

The down side to military bases is that it draws a lot of attention and post 9/11 just isn’t worth the hassle.

Back
Top Bottom