Snow Detecting

BlamKing

Forum Supporter
I was just wondering, does anybody here regularly go metal detecting in the snow. Tonight I heard about a ring someone lost, so I thought I would try to find it. I didn't, but I did find a nickel. I know I wouldn't get very old finds, but would it be worthwhile to detect some more snowy places?

Im just getting back into md so Im eager,I go out here in Ohio till my shovel bends,Its a work out with all the clothes,but I found a 1939 quarter yesterday.

Snow hunting, according to several other members here, can be quite rewarding - sled hills, ski areas, snow plow piles in town, around parking meters etc.... worth trying if you can take the cold - I can't. :D RickO

I have a buddy that hits the old piles of snow in mall parking lots. Doesn't use a detector, just looks as the snow melt. Each winter he finds cell phones and other stuff. Curt

Ping Heaavymetalnut, he's in CT and goes out year 'round.
He's pretty social and will give you pointers if you need them.

I've been doing some research and some recon, but it's too cold for me to swing.
I've gotten frostbite twice in my life and that's enough.

I dont mind the snow if its not too-deep. Its the really cold temps that get to me,especially my hands....Trying to keep my hands dry from digging through the dirt is always a challenge. And the rubber-gloves are NOT warm enough for me. If it gets up around 35/40 degrees, I'll usually go if I have time....

Say, It got up to 50 one day last week and two days in the 40s I went to a local
park on Wednesday temps about 42 degrees. Detected a slope behind a run of trees in
the first ten minutes I found a 1936 Washington quarter a nice find only 2 inches down. It was windy and didn't feel like 42 and that 36 Washington hooked me for the rest of the afternoon right til dusk. I couldn't stop. Well, $2.36 clad and a 2lb sash weight later I was cold and the days best find was you guessed it.........Washington quarter found in first ten minutes.

Back
Top Bottom