Nox 600, coin garden

LandOLincoln

So I finally dug a coin garden and the results really suprized me, but make sense given what I have been experiencing the last 2 hunts in parks. I will keep updating this thread, since we are under a winter weather advisory, I did not finish with the single frequency modes and freezing rain is falling.
Please note my yard is very trashy(moslty iron and aluminum nails and shards). I did a quick sweep of this area but still get noise after doing a noise cancel in a clean area. Ground balance is set to auto and has been between 70-84. I upped the sensitivity from 20 to 22 for this test. The recovery was set to 3(default on all modes but beach 1 on nox 600). Note recovery numbers differ from 600 to 800 models. I changed the recovery to 1(would be 2 on the 800) after getting very faint to no signal on my 1st sweep in park 1 mode default recovery. This explains the 2 sets of numbers for park 1. A line and no number shows there was no detectable signal. I will eventually be testing the 800 on this same garden whenever backorders get filled.
There is a picture of the targets I buried in order according to the chart.
So far i have found no silver with my nox using park 2 and beach 2 with rocovery set to 3(6 on the nox800).
There was a lot of variation on target id numbers, i wrote down the most consistent numbers displayed when I was zeroed in over the target. I used multiple angles to sweep every target. Some targets in some modes only displayed good numbers in one direction(which were not noted), so doing your own garden in your own soil conditions would likely give you a better understanding of this machine. Also note I am a complete novice in regards to metal detecting, I am here to learn and share my experiences, so feel free to comment or correct me if I am making any fundamental mistakes with my test. Soil is moist from the recent snow melt, idk if that affects anything, and targets are 8-9" deep.

Attachments

• IMG_20180418_6555.jpg
    IMG_20180418_6555.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20180418_7228.jpg
    IMG_20180418_7228.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 461
I was really suprized that I was having a difficult time picking up the nickels, particularly the buffalo. Also had almost no good signals (12/13) telling me it was a nickle.
Also had very few high pitch silver numbers on the deep silver, with the half dollar giving the most consistent numbers. And the dime was giving better signals than the quarter.
I apologize for bad hand writing, it was freezing outside.

I finished the all metal mode and the 3 single frequency modes. I turned the recovery up to 3 (6on the nox800). All holes were bouncing from the iron range to the target so I am guessingIi have trash along in there with the targets, I only wrote down the iron signal in the all metal mode but it was present in all modes over every hole exept the half dollar. I was hearing good tones along with the iron tones, sometimes it took a while to get a decent id number, which leads me to believe i did not dig some good targets on my last 2 outings. I am also pretty sure i have something iron masking the buffalo nickel pretty well, given it was the hardest object to pick up and I would not have dug it. Once again sorry for the poor handwriting, its getting wet outside.

Attachments

• IMG_20180418_46546.jpg
    IMG_20180418_46546.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 408
I finished the all metal mode and the 3 single frequency modes. I turned the recovery up to 3 (6on the nox800). All holes were bouncing from the iron range to the target so I am guessingIi have trash along in there with the targets, I only wrote down the iron signal in the all metal mode but it was present in all modes over every hole exept the half dollar. I was hearing good tones along with the iron tones, sometimes it took a while to get a decent id number, which leads me to believe i did not dig some good targets on my last 2 outings. I am also pretty sure i have something iron masking the buffalo nickel pretty well, given it was the hardest object to pick up and I would not have dug it. Once again sorry for the poor handwriting, its getting wet outside.

That silver half is blowing my mind. Not sure what is up with those numbers.

BCD

I know, right? With these coins being deep, and i stomped the dirt down good(why i put 8-9" they were 8" before i filled them in), it seems like the signal is not as good. I am referencing the manual a lot, I have been using defauly iron bias, i just went out there with the iron bias set to 3 and the id numbers stopped jumping so much. I have read that iron can bring the target signal down, both the id number and the sound. I will definitely redig the holes and remove the other targets and repost, but not today, its sleet and rain, making another pot of coffee. Thanks for the reply! Any input is well appreciated, i really want to learn this machine!

I will add that single frequency 15khz hit 30s on all the silver targets!

Wow, your numbers are way different than mine here in PA ground. I'm using the Nox600 just like you are. My nickel is a solid 12, my dime is 25-26, my quarter is a solid 29-30. I am using park2 and auto ground balance.

Wow, your numbers are way different than mine here in PA ground. I'm using the Nox600 just like you are. My nickel is a solid 12, my dime is 25-26, my quarter is a solid 29-30. I am using park2 and auto ground balance.

Those are the numbers i got with clad, an airtest and hunting the local parks. I wonder if I am getting EMI in my backyard? We have overhead powerlines and im not far from a cellphone tower, i can see it from my backyard. I was doing the coingarden to see if it changes the numbers and see how deep it can read silver coins and what if any modes will help confirm good signals in lots of garbage. I have high id numbers when hunting in the park only to dig up old rusty iron.

https://youtu.be/ZIVBgJb5Ric
This video shows a good coin garden test. I guess my results are not that different on deep coins. I am getting a sound but no correlating display number, i guess i need more time with the machine and pay more attention to the sounds.

WOW, what I'm seriously most impressed with is your commitment to learn your detector. Many won't go to that length, and not only build a garden, but test and record your results. Very few including myself have done this to this degree. Most want to throw a nail and coins on the ground and try to assimilate those results to 8" coins. While you can't emulate the halo, you covered other basis.

If I remember correctly your relatively new detectorist, the good news is your learnign curve will be shorter than most.

As far as the detector itself, sorry the results may not be what you expected. None are perfect, while I believe it is an awesome value and more than likely a great machine, unfortunately to me it appeared the elevate hype built it up to be something unattainable by VLF machines.

You will learn it quickly, and I look forward to seeing more info from you.

WOW, what I'm seriously most impressed with is your commitment to learn your detector. Many won't go to that length, and not only build a garden, but test and record your results. Very few including myself have done this to this degree. Most want to throw a nail and coins on the ground and try to assimilate those results to 8" coins. While you can't emulate the halo, you covered other basis.

If I remember correctly your relatively new detectorist, the good news is your learnign curve will be shorter than most.

As far as the detector itself, sorry the results may not be what you expected. None are perfect, while I believe it is an awesome value and more than likely a great machine, unfortunately to me it appeared the elevate hype built it up to be something unattainable by VLF machines.

You will learn it quickly, and I look forward to seeing more info from you.

Thanks, something must be working because everytime I go out, i dig less trash, and cover more area. I cant believe everyone doesnt do a coin garden, it keeps me up at night thinking i might have walked right over silver in the ground, or a nice buffalo or indianhead. And everything I read says the ground in your area can affect target signals. I figure if i dig five holes at home, how many less holes will i dig in the field with trash or find things I have been passing up. This hobby reminds me a lot of fishing, nobody can telling you something that will make you a great fisherman, it just takes some knowledge, time, and effort to experience some success.

Thanks, something must be working because everytime I go out, i dig less trash, and cover more area. I cant believe everyone doesnt do a coin garden, it keeps me up at night thinking i might have walked right over silver in the ground, or a nice buffalo or indianhead. And everything I read says the ground in your area can affect target signals. I figure if i dig five holes at home, how many less holes will i dig in the field with trash or find things I have been passing up. This hobby reminds me a lot of fishing, nobody can telling you something that will make you a great fisherman, it just takes some knowledge, time, and effort to experience some success.

“Knowledge,time and effort to experience some success”....you are wise for a new guy,because in general,that’s EXACTLY what it takes. And you can PRINT that.

“Knowledge,time and effort to experience some success”....you are wise for a new guy,because in general,that’s EXACTLY what it takes. And you can PRINT that.

If he keeps doing that, he will have to change "Rookie year" to Rookie of the Year" LOL

Its a sunny day with a high of 50 here in the middle of Rockford, and i got out to dig up my coin garden. It should come as no suprize that i dug up a lot of trash, particularly old nails that were masking the objects. When i removed an object i went back over with the nox 600 to see if the signal changed and if I was getting a better signal.

First the dime, it had an old nail 3 inches almost directly over it. Signal got better after it was removed, then a second rusty nail(not pictured) was about 2 inch left and above the coin. It read a 26/27.

Attachments

• IMG_20180419_27164.jpg
    IMG_20180419_27164.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 306
Next was the buffalo nickle that i had so much trouble finding i dug a hole in the wrong place and skipped it until last. Never got a clear signal since i dug 2 more items(a hot rock and another nail) after i finally found the nickel.
Thats would be 5 old rusty nails, a hot rock, a rusty old peice of steel, and a staple.

Attachments

• IMG_20180419_26647.jpg
    IMG_20180419_26647.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 320
Next was the V nickel
This one was easier to find and i was getting some nickel numbers, 11, before removing the two hot rocks and a small rusty steel ball bearing?
Both nickels read 12 out of the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_20180419_2699.jpg
    IMG_20180419_2699.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 327
Next was the franklin half dollar. The part of a spring was about 2 inches deep, the shard of aluminium was about 2 inches above and left of the coin. I could not get a higher reading on the half dollar, it remained about 17, 18 in the hole. It was a good signal but i doubt i would dig it. It reads 34,35 in the air but i dropped it back in another hole and it still reads under 20. Wierd.

Attachments

• IMG_20180419_25485.jpg
    IMG_20180419_25485.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 317
Lastly the silver quarter. It had 3 rusty nails and a large wire bag tie near it. The nails didnt seems to be affecting it nearly as much as the bag tie. After removed i got a good signal 29,30,31 still in the hole. Out of the ground i did an air test with the bag tie and it totally masked the signal until it was about 4 inches away.
So in conclusion, my yard is chock full of trash and i shouldnt bury my coins in it because it will take over an hour to find them again. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20180419_24741.jpg
    IMG_20180419_24741.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 318
At least you got a good education on what good targets in trash can sound like.... But that .50 piece. Seriously, that one is still bugging me.

BCD

At least you got a good education on what good targets in trash can sound like.... But that .50 piece. Seriously, that one is still bugging me.

BCD

Yea im going to play around more with it. I should add i was it park2 the whole time today with iron bias at 1 and recovery at 3
I think maybe it could have something to do with my soil. My pinpointer evem goes nuts when i get into some clay.

Back
Top Bottom